This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:27 PM
Apprentice

bul-it is on a distinguished road
Default Removal Engine Wiring Harness/hood Release Bar

Hello:
I need some help with two problems. The first is removal of the main engine electrical harness. I am preparing my 63 Bird for an engine rebuild as well as replacement of a rusty battery tray. I am removing all the peripherals in the engine compartment so it can be repainted. I have gotten the main engine harness freed up back to the firewall. It looks like it just plugs in(2 of them). I gave them a pull and they don't seem to want to unplug. I have looked in the Service Manual and no help. Any suggestions?? I didn't want to keep pulling on them unless indicated.
The other issue is the long hood release bar between the two hood release mechanisms. I have everything removed but that. Any help?? Thanks in advance. Mike
Old 07-05-2009, 09:27 PM
Super-Experienced

gaffney1951 is on a distinguished road

Assuming thier the rubber plugs and have no locking mechanism get a pliers on each section and wiggle up and down and back and forth(don't bend to far) should come apart. If not apply some silicone spray or penetrating fluid and repeat. Don't have a 63 so I can't comment on the hood release. Mike

Last edited by gaffney1951 : 07-05-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:46 PM
Experienced

Petrolhead is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bul-it View Post
The other issue is the long hood release bar between the two hood release mechanisms. I have everything removed but that. Any help?? Thanks in advance. Mike
Hi Mike, I removed both catches (easy) and the cable, but also found the hood release bar to be a challenge so I left it in place and masked it.

Sorry I can't be more help

Alistair
Old 07-06-2009, 10:11 PM
Experienced

Alan H. Tast, AIA is on a distinguished road
Default Wire Harness Removal '63

There is a stamped metal retainer that surrounds the grommet through the bulkhead connectors. You should first try to unplug the loom from inside the car if you are intent on removing the harness from the engine bay. This way you can work the part of the harness going through the firewall out, but take your time and try not to damage the retainer. I don't have any real good tips for removal at that point - let's just say on my '63 I've learned by trial and error. You may be better off to leave the harness attached at the firewall and mask it off, then clean it up and rewrap it after painting the engine bay.

Don't forget to remove all those plastic retainers that hold the windshield washer hoses and smaller wiring looms in place - you can get new replacements and install them when you're reassembling the engine bay.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Super-Experienced

Coral has disabled reputation

I would think putting the harness in a plastic bag, taping the end shut and letting it hang would work ok - lot less work anyways...