This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:47 PM
Super-Experienced

Coral has disabled reputation

Coral is a 152459 so I've nuttin to worry about her being special to anyone but ME, LOL

yeah, there's 18 of the hash marks total, and a few other bits of chrome scattered about the 60's
Old 06-25-2009, 01:49 PM
Super-Experienced

fomoco59 is on a distinguished road

Cathie, All 58-60 Air Cleaner housings were white.

Mike Lemmon
'59 Raven Black Hardtop

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=2461
Old 06-25-2009, 01:54 PM
Super-Experienced

Ok, thanks Mike....somewhere is the thread about my carb the numbers were C 5 A FF D5 FA which I've written on my index card about Coral sitting here....oh, wait...lemme check my story thread about her, bet its there...but in any case, this is not the "original" carb for the motor, but a common replacement...I think

Yop here it is:
http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=6256

page 2 starts the convo on the carb if ya don't want to read through....LOL

Last edited by Coral : 06-25-2009 at 01:58 PM. Reason: posted link
Old 06-25-2009, 02:15 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

so Don, your car was only #2168 in the scheme of things so quite early. If your valve covers were/are blue, they still might be correct provided my theory of leftover '59s has any validity to it.

We need somebody else with a real early, unmolested '60 to tell us what they have....

john
Old 06-25-2009, 02:16 PM
Super-Experienced

GTE427 is on a distinguished road

Ray,

Go to Section 7.3 Text, page G3-22 for valve cover colors. Section 7.3 gives exacting details for colors and finishes of many sub-components found under the hood.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:52 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Valve Cover Color

Hi Ken!

Yes, that is correct. That page G3-22 DOES give the exact valve colors for each year. As do the pictures on G3-33 but 7.3.3.2 VALVE COVERS 1958 - 1960 Listing does NOT and should! The list shows which colored valve covers are official for each year of Tbird. EXCEPT when it comes to the bottom listing for the 1960 352 Tbird by itself, right above the '60 430 list. There is not ONE mention that the authorized color for the '60 valve colors is Goldenrod Yellow. Like the others on the list, that color should be there. Only if you look at G3-22, or G3-33, do you find that out. It also does not tell you, as the others do, that the comb is offset or center mounted, ribbed rim/flat rim, or that authorized valve covers should or should not have FORD on them... The other years do in this listing.. The listing should be updated... But my OFS CD is a couple or more years old now...

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 06-25-2009, 03:01 PM
Apprentice

Tuxedo is on a distinguished road

Mine are yellow... and are definitely original. In the following thread, also said to be an early car... they appear to be blue... or maybe yellow.

http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...ead.php?t=6724

I have a lead on another '60 near me that appears to be original and unmolested and has Blue covers. I've asked for the owner to give me the serial so we can maybe narrow it down further. This car is also for sale if anyone is interested, i can pass the info on.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:14 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Valve Cover Color

It looks like that at some time during the 1960 run, maybe early on, they may have been putting on Blue valve covers. But as I recall, Hawkrod said at one time, I think, that they normally had all the correct parts to go on a car when they first started up the line for new production. However, we KNOW that there are original cars out there that are '60 Tbirds, never been modified, with parts coded B9 on them for example, Gregs Tbird comes to mind. There are '59 Tbirds with B8 coded parts on them that came that way from the factory...

Maybe Alan can shed some light on why some original, supposedly untouched '60 Tbirds have blue valve covers and others have yellow...

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Last edited by YellowRose : 06-25-2009 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:39 PM
Super-Experienced

GTE427 is on a distinguished road

Don, looking at the early 1960 car photos, it appears the valve covers are both yellow and blue. It's stated the car was parked in the 70's. At a minimum, the car was driven 10 years, and I would believe the valve covers would have been removed at some point prior to that date. Between leaking valve covers and intakes, it's likely that most of these cars have had the covers off. Not to mention the intake on that pictured 60 has an additional port I've not seen on our Bird's. Were there California Emission cars in 1960 which may explain the intake?

It's also highly likely that the original covers were repainted when the car was serviced, and they became Ford Blue over the original yellow. When was the last time we saw engine paint called Ford Yellow? Ford Blue was a named color of engine paint in the day, and many of us used Ford Blue with pride when painting a Ford Engine while cleaning and reconditioning the engine bay. I did.

When asking for original colors, service replacements colors wouldn't be considered original as assembled in Wixon. If you stick with yellow on a 1960, you really can't go wrong, especially since you've noted that yours are originally yellow.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:10 PM
Super-Experienced

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/

no 'engine' colors though.... I still thought it good to see...