This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:25 AM
Apprentice

karambos is on a distinguished road

What's an external chrome kit?
Old 06-04-2009, 12:42 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewrocks View Post
Hey Karl, I was going to offer to come up and take a look under your car but I looked at your post again and you said "3300 CAD". I am thinking that you are not in Vancouver Washington but rather in Vacouver BC.
Yes, You're right - I'm in BC. Thanks for the offer , though! That's very nice of you.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:51 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default new engine on a 1959 Tbird

The external chrome dress up kit consists of the chromed air scoop, chromed headlight covers around the headlights, chromed windshield wiper bezels, the curved rear tail sections, and the chromed bar that is over the top of the tail lights. It looks to me like you have only the chromed curved tail section and the chromed bar over the tail lights on your car. It does not look like the head light covers are chromed, nor the air scoop. I can't see the wiper bezels.

The chrome engine dress up kit consists of chromed valve covers, chromed air cleaner, chromed voltage regulator cover and chromed oil cap. Some people have even chromed their radiator expansion tank, in front of their radiator. It has been said that is not a good idea because the chroming process can cause that thing to leak on you and they give us enough problems as they are, without chroming them. Though they look nice chromed.

These are items that could be ordered through the dealer when the car was bought new. Now people can either have theirs chromed or do what I did. Buy a used piece for each one of the above and have them chromed. That can be expensive to do, but to some people, it looks nice on the car and really makes the car stand out. Especially if the car is black or red. Some people do not care for all the chrome.

Besides expense, there is another problem with chroming. Most of those pieces to be chromed are made of pot metal. Pot metal bends easily when heated during the chroming process. That means that if you take off your air scoop, for example (one of the pieces I ran into problems with) and have it chromed, when you get it back, it might be bent or warped and you might not be able to get it back on the car. I went through two other air scoops before they got one right. I also had problems with one of the rear curved tail fin pieces. That is why I kept my original pieces and bought spares and had them chromed... The main piece inside the car, over the top of the windshield, that holds the rear view mirror and sun visors, also warped on me and I had to buy a replacement because I could not get it back on the car. So keep this in mind if you are thinking of chroming more pieces on your Tbird.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 06-04-2009, 06:11 AM
Super-Experienced

bird 60 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Nice looking Bird Karl. Rest assured you're in good hands now. You're gonna have fun fun fun till daddy takes the T.Bird away real soon now.

Chris....From the Land of OZ.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:53 AM
Super-Experienced

RustyNCa is on a distinguished road

Yes, very nice car, looks like the piping on the seats is a different color?

You also seem to have an a/c vent in the dash, but I didn't notice any a/c under the hood, was it a factory a/c car?
Old 06-04-2009, 06:29 PM
Moderator / Administrator

Dan Leavens is on a distinguished road
Cool

Karl there is also a local chapter of Thunderbid Club in Kelowna that has a ton of long time members that can steer you straight. Our Calgary Thunderbird Club comes down to your S & S every year but unfortunately I can't make it this year.You have a S&S coming up in Kelowna on June 21st on Father's day, are you going
58HT #33317 60HT # 23023
Old 06-06-2009, 04:15 PM
Apprentice

Hi Dan, Actually, I bought the car from a guy in Kelowna who was a member of the Tbird club there. I don't think I"ll be going to a S&S in Kelowna but there are a few around here that I'll be attending for sure.

Hi RustyNCa - I believe, just from looking at them, that the drivers' seat has been re-upholstered at some point. You can tell because the blues don't quite match. They're very close but not exact and yes, the piping on that seat is also slightly different. Again, close but no cigar. As for the A/C vent in the dash - I wrote to the former owner but haven't heard back yet. I'll have to get back to you on that one. Well, spotted though!

As far as the car goes, it's still at the same mechanics' yard and the latest info I have is that the bushings on the lower and upper control arms are rusted out. He said the labour is the killer on those, the material itself is only about $80 CAD. He said he's going to get me the materials and let me decide when I want to replace them.

I just want to say that I'm extremely grateful for everyone's help on this. It's been invaluable.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:35 PM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

That's what we are all here for...

-Jon in TX.

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:40 PM
Moderator / Administrator

Dan Leavens is on a distinguished road
Cool

Karl just had the same thing done upper and lower complete with bushings, on my 60HT.Hourly rate here is between $80.00 -85.00 per hour so I would ask your guy how many hours for the swap out. Based on that you can give him the go ahead and if they are reputable, they will come close. By the way the ride after the install is fantastic and they should lats anothe 50 years
58HT #33317 60HT # 23023
Old 06-08-2009, 06:58 PM
Experienced

Hawkrod is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
snip
Your block doesn't have a heater, but your dash does. Normally, a cracked block would leak antifreeze or oil, REAL BAD! You should see puddles under your car, and you would have to make up for lost fluids frequently.
snip
Not that I entirely disagree with what you have said but blocks do regularly have heaters and cracks do not always leak bad. I have seen many block side cracks from freezing that only leaked when the engine was hot and pressure pushed water out. Cold they held fluid just fine. Hawkrod