This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:54 AM
Experienced

57ford/60thunderbird is on a distinguished road
Default price of inner door panels

ok what gives i just got my new MAC"S thunderbird catalog and frankly im in total shock at the price quoted for new inner door panels i mean i understand that our beloved squarebirds arent as popular as some other models /makes

and supply /demand really determin the prices people charge for stuff but
602.00 just for the door panels
i could understand it if they came with all the aluminum trim and stuff , but just vynil stretched over some fiber board ...unreal
69 roadrunner
Old 05-15-2009, 01:21 AM
Experienced

chewrocks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57ford/60thunderbird View Post
ok what gives i just got my new MAC"S thunderbird catalog and frankly im in total shock at the price quoted for new inner door panels i mean i understand that our beloved squarebirds arent as popular as some other models /makes

and supply /demand really determin the prices people charge for stuff but
602.00 just for the door panels
i could understand it if they came with all the aluminum trim and stuff , but just vynil stretched over some fiber board ...unreal
T-Bird Sanctaury's 2008 catolog lists the the 60 door panals at 550 for vinyl and 570 for leather. This doesnt include metal trim pieces. On the web site it doesnt list the door panels seperately. The interior "kits" listed include door, kick and quarter panals and rear arm rest covers for 766. His catolog does list the door panel seperately.
It is spendy, door panals for my 59 will cost me 529.00 UGH....

http://www.tbirdsanctuary.com/

Last edited by chewrocks : 05-15-2009 at 01:26 AM.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:28 AM
Super-Experienced

Coral has disabled reputation

Yikes!

JUST so happens I am an experienced industrial sewer
(Oshkosh B'Gosh and ArtCraft Industries- (oh among others they make American Airlines seats)
AND am awaiting a serger sewing machine to arrive!

I can do alot of what you're looking for....

Last edited by Coral : 05-15-2009 at 01:51 AM.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:30 AM
Super-Experienced

bird 60 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

I couldn't agree with you more, plain highway robbery.
Try other outlets for prices eg., Larry's, Nicks, Thunderbird Headquaters etc. I got mine from Larry's early last year for $551.36. By the time it reached Australia it was about $1,200 with shipping, exchange rate & taxes. This is not to make you feel any better but this is what we have to go through. At the end of the day you just have to swallow the ol Adams Apple & do it.

Chris....From the Land of OZ.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:15 AM
Super-Experienced

bird 60 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Just had a look at Larry's current price for '60 Door Panels $575. Not a lot cheaper but....

Chris....From the Land of OZ.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:19 PM
Experienced

57ford/60thunderbird is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral View Post

Yikes!

JUST so happens I am an experienced industrial sewer
(Oshkosh B'Gosh and ArtCraft Industries- (oh among others they make American Airlines seats)
AND am awaiting a serger sewing machine to arrive!

I can do alot of what you're looking for....
hmmm can you do tuck -no roll? my 57 sedan needs interrior also and with the prices of the door panels my bird may get them also
do you have access to the fiberboards? cause mine in both cars are wasted
let me know

the 57's door panels are easy they are just flat boards
69 roadrunner

Last edited by 57ford/60thunderbird : 05-15-2009 at 12:30 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:25 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

I have usually found MAC's prices to be about 10% higher than other dealers. I live in the East (MA) and I get their stuff next-day with modest shipping cost so it kind of offsets the higher prices, but for a big ticket item like door panels I would be willing to shop around and wait.

Coral, if you are serious, we could probably dig up some junkers to provide the substructure. I wonder which year would be easiest to take an initial stab at?

John
Old 05-15-2009, 01:04 PM
Super-Experienced

I can't afford to buy a complete interior for Coral, so the next option is to make it myself...while I haven't sewn with an industrial speed machine for a coupla years now, I do have about 10 yrs experience at it.

I'm checking prices on material now....an estimate is around 6.00 to 10.00 a yard...I'll measure the headliner and door panels yet today...

If you can get me a good picture of your door panel I can let you know....yes on the fiber board

Last edited by Coral : 05-15-2009 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:11 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

The headliners are very cheap to buy (strangely) so probably not worth the trouble.

I was thinking you could get a set of door panels for next to nothing with poor material on them. Basically there is the vinyl attached to fibreboard and some stainless trim. You could then see what its like to recreate the vinyl and stitch it similarly. I just looked at my '58 and the only impossible part would be the oval impressions on the lower half (a ton of 'em). But if I were looking to upgrade my car and save some money, I cant say I would really care about them. I could take a photo. You have a '59 so you could see how good or bad they look to you.

I think the trickiest part, from a stitching point of view, is around the door handles and armrests. Alot is just wrapped around the fibreboard and glued out of sight. I know next to nothing about stitching so take anything I say with a grain of salt...

John
Old 05-15-2009, 01:18 PM
Super-Experienced

Yeah, it IS funny how headliners are so cheap...like 65.00 or so I think, but my reasoning for doing it is to get back in the saddle of sewing....an industrial serger can take your finger off

http://www.upholster.com/auto/doorpan.html

Just one of many good links on upholstery