This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:58 PM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

This would make a great documentary! If you could get him to do it. Either on TV or in a magazine.
Registry #33436
Old 05-13-2009, 06:01 PM
Experienced

chewrocks is on a distinguished road

Fantastic!!!!
Old 05-13-2009, 06:13 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Assembly worker contacted on last Thunderbird!!!

I am in shock!! The chances of that line worker being alive still after nearly 50 years were slim I thought, when I wrote the Oakland Press regarding Greg's Last '60 Tbird off the line! I figured he would be in his 40's-50's or so, and now in his '80's-90's! Little did I know that the guy who would reply to that newspaper article would be the youngest lineman hired at Wixom and still be alive! What a stroke of great luck!

We have learned some things that debunk what has been written by some of the wonders of the Tbird world over the years! Black/dark cars were NOT painted early in the day with the lighter ones painted at the end... Cars were NOT batched together in groups of so many cars and then sent down the line as a group of 2-Dr hardtops, convertibles, or Golde Tops.. Or run seperately from the Lincolns. They were all mixed together. Cars that ran into problems were shunted off the line to be fixed quickly, if possible, and put back on the line for finishing. If not possible, they were then put in a staging area to have the problem fixed as soon as possible, and then put back on the line.

At the end of the 1960 production run, on the last days, they ran out of some parts to put on the 1960's. So he told Greg that they got parts that were the same for the 1960's and the 1961's, and put those parts on the 1960 cars to finish them off. This explains why Greg has some parts in the engine area with 1961 part numbers on them, he said.

I am sure that we will find out more things that we have been told as fact over all these years, that turns out to be fiction. Someone did not do their homework in some of their writings, it seems.

The Oakland Press has been contacted by another person who might be able to shed more light on the Wixom operation! We are working on contacting him!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 05-13-2009, 06:51 PM
Experienced

vernz is on a distinguished road

This is great. I am so happy for you. This is a great special interest story. I would think the Detroit auto industry would be interested in this given the problems they are having right now. Can you ask him if the actual day a car was completed appeared on the ROT sheet, either on the upper left corner block entitled "Date" or in the block entitled "Sched Date"?

Vern
Old 05-13-2009, 07:12 PM

Anders is on a distinguished road

FBI? CIA? KGB?
No, beware of Sergeant Ray Clark!
He chase you up after half a century and want to know, exactly what you did september 13, 1960. Before lunch! And if you have any witness who can back up the story...
This site is in good hands.

I am truly amazed.
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Last edited by Anders : 05-13-2009 at 07:15 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:18 PM

roflmbo!!!

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 05-13-2009, 08:14 PM
Experienced

Dutchbird is on a distinguished road

Greg, congratulations!!!

What an amazing story you "drag" us in, and still more to come so it seems.........

This is currently re-writing history by all the efforts you and some members put in,
making this story and outcome a true milestone!

(Did I hear WOW???????)
Old 05-13-2009, 08:36 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

Greg , this is nothing short of incredible!!! You and Ray have done great things , not only for your car, but for the history of Squarebirds and auto manufacturing!!! Go out and buy some Lottery tickets tonight!!!

A huge tip of the hat to both of you!!!

many thanks
john

Last edited by JohnG : 05-13-2009 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:35 PM
Super-Experienced

bird 60 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Congratulations Greg & to all the people that made it possible to get to the stage that you're at.
If you believe in something you stick to it which you've done, & now the rewards are coming your way.

If the Gentleman that worked on your (LAST) car is almost 74 years old that means he was born in 1935 (same year as ELVIS). If he was 19 when he started working for FORD that would be in 1954 possibly when the FIRST T. BIRDS were manufactured. When he completed your (LAST BIRD) he would have been 25. I bet he's just excited as you & all of us are.
All you need now is the icing on the cake.

Chris....From the Land of OZ.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:25 AM

Here is what Phil Skinner had to say...

"That is really neat, and to find someone to remember that last car. Finding those treasures hidden by line workers is interesting.

It is interesting to see what line workers would do. One of our Edsel people stripped the padded dash off his station wagon to find a very artful illustration of the comic character Dagwood had been drawn on the metal panel with a felt-tip pen.
Phil"

Now, before you all go off stripping your padded dash's off your Tbirds looking for a sketch of Dagwood, remember that Phil said this was an Edsel and not a Ford this was found on. I doubt that this Edsel lineman was working the Tbird line! Sooo, save yourself some headaches and DON'T DO IT!

This lineman is one year older than I am. While he started building Tbirds, I was stationed in Japan at 18. In 1958/59, I was sitting on top of a mountain in Alaska at a radar site reading a magazine about the new 1959 Tbirds, which, it turns out, he had helped build! That magazine got me interested in Tbirds and I tried to buy one in Dallas, when I got back from my Alaskan tour of duty in 1960. But my wife reminded me that my little 3 striper pay would not be enough to get us a Tbird, if I wanted to continue to eat in the fashion I had become accustomed to! So we settled for a red Ford Falcon. Nearly 50 years later, as he is retired, I finally made my lost dream come true with Yellow Rose, in my retirement....

I would also like to thank Cathie ~ Coral for her input, ideas, and help in this project. It is not over yet! We have a lot more to learn, especially if the other guy who contacted the newspaper is also a line employee. More to come, I hope!

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Last edited by YellowRose : 05-14-2009 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Additional Comments