This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
  #11  
Old 04-25-2009, 09:11 PM
KULTULZ
 
Posts: n/a
Post

Both heads are interchangeable.

The pushrods come in STD length, .030" O/S, .060" O/S and .060" U/S (and infinite lenghts from a cam company) to arrive at correct valve lash. A special tool is used to put leverage on the rocker arm to collapse the lifter at which time you measure the resulting air gap between the valve stem and rocker arm. You then use the correct length push rod to arrive at this correct air gap.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-25-2009, 09:21 PM
JohnG's Avatar
JohnG JohnG is offline
John
 
Join Date: Jul 28 2003
Posts: 2,229
JohnG is on a distinguished road
Default

hi Barry

I'm looking at the exploded parts diagrams in Vol II, Illustrations from the TBird Sanctuary.

I see nothing that suggests a left and right cylinder head. Further more (am hoping someone will comment) the 430 engine shows the same heads as the 352/390. The part number shown is 6049. Any of you 430 guys want to verify this??

So I think in your case you need to take the rocker assemblies off and study them until you understand the oil flow, check the pushrods, and reassemble. This should not take long but I am pretty sure the rocker stands and assemblies can be installed incorrectly.

John
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-25-2009, 09:30 PM
KULTULZ
 
Posts: n/a
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
hi Barry

Further more (am hoping someone will comment) the 430 engine shows the same heads as the 352/390. The part number shown is 6049. Any of you 430 guys want to verify this??

John
The 352 and 430 while similiar in basic design are two different engines. Basic PN 6049 is the Service Basic PN on all cylinder heads. The PN prefix and suffix will fully identify the head.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-25-2009, 10:03 PM
JohnG's Avatar
JohnG JohnG is offline
John
 
Join Date: Jul 28 2003
Posts: 2,229
JohnG is on a distinguished road
Default

hi Gary
thanks for clarifying that! The illustrations only had the 4 digit portion of the number.

Back to the original question: are the two heads identical or is there a Left and Right ?? I dont remember worrying about it when I put mine back together but there was a 50% chance of getting lucky!

thanks again
john
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-25-2009, 10:25 PM
barrysmith barrysmith is offline
Experienced
 
Join Date: Aug 28 2008
Posts: 127
barrysmith is on a distinguished road
Default

Thanks for that info, I am still at a delema as to why it is not getting oil to the rocker arm assembly, It did prior to the heads being rebuilt.

I know this for a fact, because I replaced the valve seals and remember the oil coming up through one of the rocker stands now that I think about it.
The rocker arm assemblies were not taken apart.

Is it possable to mount them on the wrong side?

I will remove one and see if the oil is coming up to the assembly.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-25-2009, 11:15 PM
KULTULZ
 
Posts: n/a
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post

The illustrations only had the 4 digit portion of the number.
The Ill Section of the MPC shows Basic PN's and that refers you to the Basic PN in the text for further clarification.

Quote:
Back to the original question: are the two heads identical or is there a Left and Right ??
There is only one head casting in these series, no dedicated L or R.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-25-2009, 11:25 PM
KULTULZ
 
Posts: n/a
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysmith View Post

I am still at a delema as to why it is not getting oil to the rocker arm assembly, It did prior to the heads being rebuilt.

I know this for a fact, because I replaced the valve seals and remember the oil coming up through one of the rocker stands now that I think about it.

The rocker arm assemblies were not taken apart.

Is it possable to mount them on the wrong side?

I will remove one and see if the oil is coming up to the assembly.
It may be the head gasket is blocking the orifice where the oil supply line goes from block deck to cyl head. Remove either or both rocker asms. and while cranking see if oil is pushed through the orifice.





If the rocker asms. were not disassembled, don't worry about them.

I can give you the procedure for adjusting the valve lash, but it will not be for an FE. I don't have any repair info on a hydraulic FE here.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-26-2009, 09:03 AM
Howard Prout's Avatar
Howard Prout Howard Prout is offline
Tinkerer
 
Join Date: Feb 11 2009
Posts: 435
Howard Prout is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
A special tool is used to put leverage on the rocker arm to collapse the lifter at which time you measure the resulting air gap between the valve stem and rocker arm. You then use the correct length push rod to arrive at this correct air gap.
Interesting. I was taught to always keep push rods in order and put them back in the same position as they were removed. But I don't remember being told that the push rods for hydraulic lifters were fitted for each location. I always thought that hydraulic lifters adjusted for valve lash. I assumed that keeping push rods in their original sequence was to match wear patterns. I learned something new today.
__________________
"Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Last edited by Howard Prout : 04-26-2009 at 09:49 AM. Reason: correction
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-26-2009, 10:09 AM
KULTULZ
 
Posts: n/a
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Prout View Post

Interesting. I was taught to always keep push rods in order and put them back in the same position as they were removed. But I don't remember being told that the push rods for hydraulic lifters were fitted for each location. I always thought that hydraulic lifters adjusted for valve lash. I assumed that keeping push rods in their original sequence was to match wear patterns. I learned something new today.
You were taught correctly. The engine was lashed @ assembly. The pushrods may (more likely) or may not be unequal lengths. That is why you lay them out in order of disassembly. Wear patterns are a factor also, especially concering the actual lifter positions.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-26-2009, 12:12 PM
barrysmith barrysmith is offline
Experienced
 
Join Date: Aug 28 2008
Posts: 127
barrysmith is on a distinguished road
Default

After carefully studying the oil flow diagram it looks to me that the oil coming through the heads to the rocker arm assemblies are at different locations, if so would it also require that the heads be mounted for a left and right?

I have yet to pull the rocker arm assembly, will do so shortly and measure where the oil lines that feed the assemblies are from the front of the head.



If they are in different locations it woul be imparative to mount then to line up with the block.

Last edited by barrysmith : 04-26-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:56 AM.

Driving, racing or working on cars can be hazardous. The procedures and advice on this website including the message board are opinion only. Squarebirds.org and its webmasters and contributors do not guarantee the correctness of the advice and procedures. The Squarebirds.org and its webmasters assume no liability for any damage, fines, punishment, injury or death resulting from following these procedures or advice. If you do not have the skills or tools to repair your car, please consult a professional. By using this site you agree to hold harmless the Squarebirds.org, its authors and its webmasters from any resulting claim and costs that may occur from using the information found on this site.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Any submissions to this site and any post on this site becomes property of Squarebirds.org . The webmasters reserve the right to edit and modify any submissions to this site. All material on this is site is copyrighted by the Squarebirds.org. Reproduction by any means other than for personal use is strictly prohibited. Permission to use material on this site can be obtained by contacting the webmasters. Copyright 2002-2016 by Squarebirds.org.