This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:52 AM
Experienced

trim code 76 is on a distinguished road
Question

Wow, what a can of worms I opened up!!!!! So, let me see if I understand so far: There was going to be a final build out on 9/12 and 9/13, but it is a fact that the plant was shut down at the end of 9/9 (friday). Those cars built on 9/9 were built with the last of the parts set aside. So... this is where I get a little confused..... The guy who wrote 9/13 last day, last car was...anticipating it would be used on 9/13 and wrote that in anticipation on 9/9??? I'm sorry but that is a little confusing. Can anyone help me understand. Thanks!
Greg
Old 04-27-2009, 03:16 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Squarebird Line Production Information

Hi Greg! NO, it is not a can of worms! It has been a very educational thing. I think we have all learned a lot from this, especially me! And I have made some very important contacts.

Yes, you have it right. There was a 9/12 and 9/13 scheduled builds to be done on those two days. 9/13 was the scheduled last day of production. Apparently, someone in upper management made the decision to shut down on Friday to start gearing up for the new 1961 production runs.

It is apparent that they ran part of the 9/12 and 9/13 production runs on the 9th probably and maybe earlier than that, because they were running at a higher capacity on the line with the Lincolns out of the way. The parts for the 9/12 and 9/13 runs were probably already set up to be pulled from. It is possible that whoever wrote that statement on your door panel did it before they started the last production run, anticipating that your serial number was going to be the last car they ran.... They were probably told that they were not going to run on the 12th and 13th, but the production run for those days might have already been set up. So when they got to your car, he grabbed the door that he had already marked before hand and put it on your car.. The last car off the line...

I am guessing about this, but I think that is probably what happened. Somewhere along the line, knowing they were going to run through a certain set of serial numbers, he marked the last door to go on the last car as such. And he grabbed it on the 9th, more than likely, and put it on your car. I dont know if that explains the shamrock under your carpeting though! Unless he put it in your car before hand, knowing your car was going to be the last car of the 13th run. Then things changed when they got the order to shut down the line after the 9ths run..

We may never know the answer to this question, UNLESS the guy who did it is still alive and sees the article that I arranged to get published in their local newspaper about this.... We can only hope...

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 04-29-2009, 06:01 PM

I received this last night from Phil Skinner..

"Last night I had dinner with a person who works in a very unique position with in FoMoCo production today. He is a hardcore numbers guy.

He kind of confirmed what I said about how cars are ordered, serialized, then set for production and what can really happen. I said to him that it was like numbering 1200 identical slips of paper, throwing them into a hat, mix them up and then start pulling them out one at a time. That could provide how the chassis or VIN numbers would come down the line at random. But he said it wasn't totally at random for the schedulers. They knew how to plan production to be at its optimum and the cars were arranged to go down the assembly line in a certain order, and that was their rotation, and that is the only number people on the line care about.

Phil"

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 04-30-2009, 02:30 AM

I am still looking for anyone who has or has had a 1960 Tbird with a Schedule Date of 12W or 13W on their data plate. AND has a copy of their ROT sheet. Or has it recorded somewhere. It should also say W 12, W 13 or 12W, or 13W in the case of the ROT sheet. I want to be able to see what it has in the way of the date in the upper left corner.

Tonight, I came awful close! mercfreak has a 1960 Tbird Tbird, Registry 73 and I looked at it and the other cars listed under his name of Thomas Gunnari. He has his ROT sheet from his 1960 Tbird posted there! On it the date in the upper left corner reads 08 18. His Schedule Date is 31W! So here we have a car that was scheduled for production on the 31st of August, with a upper left date of 08 18 probably from when it was logged into the system. I wonder what the data plate tag says? Thomas, can you tell me that?

This is the closest I have come to finding a 60 Tbird scheduled for production in September, so far. His VIN # is 186610, 6,233 units away from the last car produced. They ran 10,416 Tbirds through the line in August.They built 2,457 Tbirds from 1-9 September when the line shut down. They built only 144 units on the 9th.

"It's Hip To Be Square"