This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:29 PM
Moderator / Administrator

Dan Leavens is on a distinguished road
Cool

Chris you definitely have to get your 60 accredited by Ford as the last off the production line somehow and get it registered.
58HT #33317 60HT # 23023
Old 04-16-2009, 06:54 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

The last 1960 in the TBird Registry is 0Y71Y192834 and the Registry says it was produced Sept 13,1960. See

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=14845

Any chance the "7" was a poorly made "9" ??

Last edited by JohnG : 04-16-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:51 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Last squarebird??

I just talked with Lou Paliani, Pres. of VTCI, here in San Antonio. I asked him if he knew how one could get Ford to write a letter authenticating this Tbird as being the last of production. He said, in essence, good luck! They get NO support from Ford whatsoever, which is a shame. One could contact the VTCI Ford Rep, and see if he could help.

His suggestion was to photograph everything you told us about, regarding dates, and inscriptions you found on the car, and under the carpeting. Then contact Alan Tast, who is sure to see this when he logs on next. Alan might be able to give you full details on this. Lou also said that even though there were 59 other cars in the serial number range, after yours, that they did run seperate lines for different models, ie, J cars, and convertibles. And lastly, that they did, supposedly run the stainless steel cars as the very last runs for the reasons stated below. Hope this helps! And YES, get it registerd in John Rotella's Tbird Registry!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 04-16-2009, 07:56 PM
Super-Experienced

Ca58tbird is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
The last 1960 in the TBird Registry is 0Y71Y192834 and the Registry says it was produced Sept 13,1960.
Any chance the "7" was a poorly made "9" ??
As was true of the 58 year model run, quite often date codes did not follow the VIN# in numerical sequence. Thus this may have happened in 59 as well. Not even for different date codes, but also as to when an early model VIN may have come off the line later then an earlier VIN. This was due to to the tree or flow chart of installing optional equipt in different cars. All basic models with no options or standard equipt followed the shortest line to the finish line. If a special paint job or a different engine was ordered, then that car was pulled out of the line and parked for the upgrade. For the 58 model year I have seen date codes off from numerical order by as much as 5 days.

Because our subject bird has a VIN# of 784 and the last numerical was 834, that is a moving quantity of 50 birds on the line at one time thru out the day. It would stand to reason that they got all mixed up to the finish line with optional installs and coffee/lunch breaks.

It would be fun to know if Sept. 13, 1959 was a Friday. Oooh, how macabre if that were the case.
Thunderbird Registry #3810 VTCI#7652

Last edited by Ca58tbird : 04-16-2009 at 07:58 PM. Reason: spelling error correction
Old 04-16-2009, 08:47 PM
John

3 quick notes:

1) take a look at the comments on the next-to-last 1960 which is at
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=1675 and are for VIN 0Y71Y192812

the comments are:

Registrar's Note: This Thunderbird has a higher consecutive unit number than Ford's official production records indicate would exist. Please see the Thunderbird Registry Lowest-Highest C.U.N. Information Page

2) the last two in the Registry have leather interiors. I wonder if that could cause things to get out of sequence?

3) your car and 0Y71Y192744 both have the rare interior combination 76. His was also produced on day 13W. (see http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=31937 )

All this has reminded me of what a remarkable resource John Rotella has provided us all with!

john

Last edited by JohnG : 04-16-2009 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:13 AM
John

Tuesday September 13, 1960 at Wixom through the TBird Registry:

0Y71Y192746 is the first car with 13W to show
0Y71Y192834 is the last VIN

so at least 88 cars left the plant that day!

If you look through them, you find many with leather, as well as a well above average number of power options.

Last edited by JohnG : 04-17-2009 at 01:15 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:08 AM
Experienced

trim code 76 is on a distinguished road

Please excuse my haist in reading the door panel, the "seven" turns out to be a "nine". I need glasses!!!! (Plus I know that the last production date was Sept. What was I thinking!!!!!) A rather sloppy "nine" looks like a seven until looked at up close (Please excuse). I am unsure if the stainless birds were part of the production numbering. I thought they had their own numbers, or special numbers. I heard a possible rumor that the last five(?) squarebirds procuded were silver to honor/get ready for the stainless cars????? Is this true??? Mine is silver. As to reporting a higher number produced, I am totally unsure about this. I have read of about 4 different ending production numbers, some higher and some lower. I wounder about the order of the vin numbers going down the assembly line, maybe they were out of place??? Could it be that there were higher production numbers, but mine was last off the line????? Very strange. I would love to find out this quandry. I guess I should put a (?) around the statement "last squarebird". Possibly an unsolved mistery??? (Bumber) I have confirmed the car was sold at "Hollywood Ford" Hollywood CA. Car was owned by the head sound editor for Paramount Studios. He helped produce "The Ten Commandments"
Old 04-17-2009, 03:51 AM
Experienced

John,
I will take some pics in the next few days of all the stuff I have on it (door panel writing, lucky shamrock......) and send it to whoever wants to recieve it (contact info please). Also, the car has just turned 100,000. A california car, The undercarage is absolutly free of rust, untouched. It still has the factory yellow stenciled part number on the drive shaft (and light blue inspection stripe), the yellow strip on the backside of the passengers side front spring, drivers side stripe is on the front of the spring, medium blue strip one of the front control arms (each side, sorry for not knowing the correct name for the arm), there is also yellow paint around the lower ball joint. The rear end has the factory red primer in near perfect condition with a grase pencil assembly line making on the passenger side. the rear end still has the metal tab on one of the bolts (drivers side) on the primer side. States the gear ratio (I believe), mine states 3.00. The top of the transmission vissible from the engine compartment has a white grease pen mark on the top (crude OK). There are many other marks. The car has never been touched underneith. The gas tank does not have any undercoating on it (strange as i thought all had this done). Mine has very little undercoating on the back 1/3 of the car (poor job). The gas tank straps are black paint with no rust. The undercarrage is in such great shape the underside of the front subframe has the factory redbrown primer still in perfect condition even up into the spring housings! No rust at all!! The sides are painted a flat black. The front wheelwells are undercoated with a crudely masked off squared area around the opening to where the "A" arms come through. This area is the silver body color with undercoating being sprayed in a so-so manner around the rest of the wheelwell. Sorry guys I do not mean to run on about this, it's just that this is truely an amazing car as far as originality and very exciting on the possibilty of being the last one off the line (somehow??). I hope this is some useful info for some of you and will be happy to send pics to be posted on all of this. It should be a very helpfull resource for restoring squarebirds. Thanks for the interest and help guys! Also, I thought I had posted it on the registry, I will have to check my records. Again thanks to all, this is a fantastic site!!!!!!!!! Proud to be a squarebird owner!!
Old 04-17-2009, 03:51 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Last squarebird??

Hi Greg,

Thanks for clearing up the "7/13" situation. I figured that had to be 9/13 for September 13. I do not know if the stainless steel birds had different serial numbers. So far, we know, from what Lou Paliani, VTCI prexy, and others have said, that cars were often produced out of serial number sequence for numerous reason. Cars with special paint codes, or special features, or different engines, transmissions, etc., were often grouped together for final production at certain times. They would be set off in a group to be run through all at the same time, I am told.

As for a difference in production numbers, Automotive Mile Posts has it at 92,843. The very respected LoveFords website http://www.lovefords.org/tech/production/60.htm has it at the same number. 63A Thunderbird Hardtop - 80,983, 76A Thunderbird Convertible - 11,860 = 92,843.

Wikipedia further reports: 1960's sales figures hit another record: 92,843 units sold, including 11,860 convertibles. A rare option in this year was a sunroof; this "Golde Edition" (Golde was a German company whose sunroof patent Ford licensed) sold 2,530 examples.

At the end of 1960 production two Thunderbirds were constructed of stainless steel for the Allegheny Ludlum Steel Corporation, at a price of $35,000 each. Because of the properties of stainless steel, the production dies would be destroyed as a result of the stamping of the parts. This was not a problem for Ford, as the next generation of T-Bird used a new body style. To duplicate the T-Birds 3,957 lb. normal production weight, body panels were made of Type 302 stainless steel, and trim pieces out of Type 430 stainless steel. At the time of their production, because of the maximum rolling mill for stainless steel only produced stock that was 72 inches in width, both cars' roofs were constructed from two 42-inch-wide sections which were welded together in the middle (the roof would have required an 84-inch-wide sheet of stainless steel, which apparently could not be obtained). Both T-Birds received mechanical and interior restorations in the 1980s and survive to this day, with one on permanent display at the Heinz History Center in Pittsburgh, PA.

Lou suggested that you take pictures of everything you can find on the car with that 9/13 date and statements about it being the last car off the line. And what you found under the carpeting. And all the markings you have found under the car. Document everything in pictures. PM Alan Tast, and send him all the information you have.He might be able to answer your questions regarding 5 silver cars run at the end of production and the questions about the stainless steel car VIN numbers. Alan is THE foremost living authority on Tbirds of our time. For those of you who have the various manuals for our Birds, you often see credit given to Alan for the photographs or technical information from his collection. Alan MIGHT even be able to tell you how to obtain verification and authentication that your Tbird IS the last one off the line... Perhaps you will be able to get a letter out of Ford to that effect yet.. Or at least, Alan might be able to confirrm for you what it appears you have.. The last one off the line...

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Last edited by YellowRose : 04-17-2009 at 04:00 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:48 PM
Experienced

Smile

Ray,
Thank you very much for your help. Please excuse my lack of up-to-dateness with computer lingo....when you state PM Alan Tast....what exactly is that?? I do not have any contact info for him. I have many pics of the items and would be happy to email them to him and anyone else who would like help with restoring their car. Is there a common site i can email them to so I can get them up on this website? I think the photos would be of help to some of the guys. They have helped me out in the past, would like to return the favor. Again, the web site is VERY GOOD! Very active/helpful memebers, whoever put it togehter...CONGRATS!!!!

Greg