This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:50 AM
Experienced

cubbear is on a distinguished road
Question engine swap

pulled the 352 out of my 58 bird needs to be completely rebuilt. would it be better to replace with a 390? if so what 390 should i look for that will bolt up to cruise omatic and what changes need to be made? thanks again Rob
Old 04-08-2009, 11:18 AM
Super-Experienced

RustyNCa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbear View Post
pulled the 352 out of my 58 bird needs to be completely rebuilt. would it be better to replace with a 390? if so what 390 should i look for that will bolt up to cruise omatic and what changes need to be made? thanks again Rob
That is what I did. Picked up a 390 off Craigslist for $700, with a performer intake, mild cam, etc. transfered most of the accessories over to it, bought new motor mounts and a new starter, replaced the oil pump shaft with an ARP one(it came with a new oil pump still in box)and installed new umbrella seals, then it dropped right in.

Not 100% sure but I think any 390 should work. I got one that was setup for an automatic, I can't remember now if I used the flywheel off the 352 or the 390 one.

But I wish I had thought to replace the rear main seal, it leaks like a mofo, I tried to replace it in the car....that didn't work very well
Old 04-08-2009, 11:25 AM
Super-Experienced

Ca58tbird is on a distinguished road

Rob, both the 352 and 390 are of the same FE big block. You can rebuild your 352 and make a 390 out of it. Years ago when it was time to rebuild my 352 I learned that the the wrist pin clips had desintegrated allowing the pins to score the cylinder walls. Instead of sleaving the cylinders, I chose to bore the cylinders. A new crank increased the stroke from 3.50 to 3.784 and with larger pistons, the FE became a 390.
Thunderbird Registry #3810 VTCI#7652
Old 04-08-2009, 01:05 PM

Anders is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbear View Post
I would rebuild the original engine, if it is the original engine.
At least keep it if you swap, so you have the possibility to change back to original perhaps later. I would guess that the value of the car is higher with as much original parts as possible.
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158
Old 04-08-2009, 01:55 PM
Experienced

FeFranco
Default APB Hawkrod

For the sake of originality the difference between the 352 and the 390 is the bore and stroke. You cannot look at any of the engines and tell the difference. The 390 will give you a little more hp and torque though and they would be an easy replacement. Just make sure your bellhousing and flywheel will hook up to the trans. Hawkrod will know that set-up best.