This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:17 PM
Super-Experienced

tbirds8 is on a distinguished road

I've seen alot of FE motors in my travels over the years But never saw anything like that. My most best guess is snow cone maker. Just kiddin. I can't even find it in a book. And I worked on truck motors and didn't see it there either. Shot glass warmer?? We'll keep lookin...
Old 04-07-2009, 08:23 PM
Super-Experienced

bird 60 is on a distinguished road
Question

Hi Austin, Try & trace the previous owners if you can, they might be able to help you.

Chris.... From the Land of OZ.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:37 AM

Austin D is on a distinguished road

Sorry for the slow response, just got home from work. They do go all the way through and they dont open or close. the top spins, but does not appear that it opens a valve of any type. 6 of the bolts broke off in the heads, 3 on each head, two on the top where the blind holes are and 1 on the bottom. I already drilled and tapped them so no big deal. The sad part is that the driver side (left) manifold broke at two of the eyelet holes. Im sending the heads out tomarrow and will get them back tomarrow aswell so I kinda wanted to get this thing running by thursday afternoon. With no left manifold though I dont think its gonna happen due to the availabilty of the part. I dont want to put headers on the car cause then I got to modify the exhaust and thats gonna cost. Im gonna hit the junkyards I think first.

Last edited by Austin D : 04-08-2009 at 12:39 AM. Reason: add text
Old 04-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Experienced

protourbird is on a distinguished road

I asked my FE expert and this is what he said to me about the exhaust manifolds.
Iíll have to do some research here but they appear to be early, early model stuff. The tube on each appears to be an early version of EGR but I am just not sure. The straight up and down bolts suggest they are 352 or possibly 390 manifolds but again these are unique looking to me. What year car are they off of and are there any date codes on the manifolds? Let me know and I will keep looking up here.

Jim

protourbird
Old 04-08-2009, 11:28 AM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

I was actually gonna suggest EGR but figured you guys would all die laughing....

john
Old 04-08-2009, 05:32 PM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Arrow

I'm starting wonder IF this is the original FE engine in the T-Bird. I've never seen exhaust manifolds with those "watchyamacallits" on them, EVER!! I wonder if this is some kind of a truck 390cid?

IMO, I would ditch both of them Austin, and go back with OE "looking" exhaust manifolds...

-Jon

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:55 PM
Super-Experienced

I've never seen them on trucks either. I've been asking around about this and most everyone who looks at it thinks aftermarket. Remember j c whitney. That's my thought on it. Do they make noise or whistle the faster you go? They made alot of weird stuff back in the day. Of corse you would have had to drill and tap for threads. Is it threaded in there?
Old 04-08-2009, 08:22 PM

Austin D is on a distinguished road

I dont know if they make any wired noises. This thing was only running on 4 cylinders when I drove it home so it made all kinds of wired noises. I had 4 bent push rods and was loosing coolant trough the resivour. Im to afraid to atempt to take them out of the manifold due to the lack of exhast manifolds I have available to me. Yes they are threaded in the manifold they are not welded. I Think they would look kinda neat if I could get them shined up. I would be unique to the car.

Not to get off topic, but do any you know it there is a hight temp appoxy I could use to repair the exhaust manifold bolt holes? I dont think anyone would weld them for me cause they are cast iron and I head thats a pain to weld. It just would be a shame if the manifolds kept me from gettin this thing running this week.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:48 AM
Super-Experienced

They can be welded. With todays welders a good shop can handle that. The old days it was a pain in the ---.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:29 PM
Super-Experienced

Coral has disabled reputation

Its either an early-bird special advanced air intake or EGR

betcha 5 soda straws....