This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:25 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default new and have some questions

Hi Austin!

Thanks for the additional information. I just checked your VIN number in the Tbird Registry, and no previous owner entered it in the database. You might want to do that when you get a chance. I was hoping that I would find it registered and be able to give you some additional information on it. The Tbird Registry link I think I gave you in a previous post.

Well we know it came out of the factory as a 430, manufactured at Wixom. Someone probably swapped engines out in the past for one reason or another. You are not losing a lot of power with the 352, and you are gaining in that parts for the FE 352 are a lot easier to come by. There are some other things that are different with the 430 that can give you headaches. So I think you came out ahead on the engine swap.

It sounds like someone did a lousy paint job on that car. I hope that your leather interior is in good condition. That is a pretty color.. Can you give me the rest of the Data Plate information? It is probably 63A 2-Dr Hardtop, Body Color A for Raven Black Interior code if 3Y means it came out of the factory with the turquoise leather. If that is some other code, than someone changed the interior color out. The info under the Date on the plate will tell you what day and month it was born. The Axle is probably a 4 and the transmission probably a 1.

If you did not get the clock with the car, you probably can pick up one off of eBay, or maybe one of our guys has a spare for sale. You can send the clock to Bird Nest and they will repair it and put a quartz movement in it for a nominal fee. I had mine done that way and the clock works great ever since. You can probably also buy one from them, as they have a lot of parts cars. Or check with John at Thunderbird Ranch.

As for the windshield washer, that was probably one of the first things to be taken off the car. It was a mickey mouse deal.

Feel free to ask questions, give us an update on how you are doing, etc.. Asking questions might save you a lot of money, and keep you from buying the wrong parts, or parts that can be repaired instead of being replaced.. If you want to post pictures, send them to my email address I gave you and I will post them for you.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Last edited by YellowRose : 04-06-2009 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:34 AM
Super-Experienced

GTE427 is on a distinguished road

Attached you'll see two images of the left and right side 430 frame bracket that was welded in place to the 352 mount tab at the lower end and the frame rail just forward on the upper A arm. I believe this arm would interfere with the 352 engine and would have to be removed, though I'm not sure.

Austin, using these photos you'll know what to look for to see if your 430 brackets have been removed or are still present. In the photos that were posted of your car, there appears to be foreign objects forward of your A arms, I'm curious to what these are.

If you could compare your car to these photos and report back, I'd like to hear your findings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 430MOUNT_LEFT.jpg (23.9 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg 430MOUNT_RIGHT.jpg (17.5 KB, 97 views)
Old 04-06-2009, 10:48 AM
Super-Experienced

Austin,

I've circled the mystery item that appears on both sides of your engine, seems to be part of the exhaust manifold, can you shed any light on these items?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg austin_59.jpg (12.6 KB, 109 views)
Old 04-06-2009, 11:25 PM

Austin D is on a distinguished road

Ken

I took some pics of the items in question and unfrotunatly I cant post photos yet so I am going to send them to Ray and see if he will post them or let me know your e-mail and I will send them straight to you. I also took pics of the motor mounts and it appears that some one ripped the old 430 mounts out and they did a horrible job on the frame when they cut it out. At first I thought maybe it had been in an accident and the frame was damaged, but now with the help from your pics I know its cause they just cut the heck out of the frame getting those mounts out.

I also dont know what those contraptions are on the exhaust manifolds are. I kinda was thinking that maybe some one around here would know. They look like some kind of blow off valve or some type of cooler. Beats me. Thanks for the help Ken and ill send those pics to Ray.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Austins59TBird 17.jpg (32.8 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg Austins59TBird 18.jpg (37.9 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg Austins59TBird 19.jpg (39.2 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg Austins59TBird20.jpg (50.4 KB, 97 views)

Last edited by YellowRose : 04-07-2009 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Adding Pictures
Old 04-07-2009, 02:51 AM
Super-Experienced

bird 60 is on a distinguished road
Question

Gee Austin if I didn't know any better it looks as if though someone cut a trumpet or a bugle & stuck them on the manifolds. I've been around a lot v8s in my life but never seen anything like it. I'm sure there's some-one out there that knows. Best of luck.

Chris.....From the Land of OZ.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:56 AM
Super-Experienced

SandyBoy is on a distinguished road
Default Welcome, Austin

I do not own a Squarebird, but was a dear friend of our founder, Alexander. You mentioned Chrysler. My family and extended family were all Imperial fanatics. I have bought new 5 Imperials (1968, 72, 74, 75 & 82) My parents only bought Imperials as did my cousins, My Mom always "did" Thanksgiving and on that day at the very least, 7 and at the most 10 Imperials could be seen on the driveway and/or on the street in front.
The only person there of still living, is me & I have a Town Car and am still waiting for the return of the Imperial. At 62 I may never see it.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Super-Experienced

Austin, mystery solve. I can see where the mounts have been remove.

Never have I seen Exhaust manifolds such as the ones on your car. Do they penetrate the manifold and can they be opened and closed? or welded on handles? Just when you think you've seen it all.

Your car looks very complete without much noticeable rust, can't imagine this one coming from a yard. Did the exhaust manifold bolts came out without breaking, these can be tricky on FE engines. Some of the TBird Suppliers sell SS bolts kits with retainers to replace the original rust prone hardware.

Last edited by GTE427 : 04-07-2009 at 12:45 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:59 PM
Experienced

frank58 is on a distinguished road

are those "things" cast right into the manifolds? sure is strange... are there any numbers on the manifolds? if there is we can probably get more info..... and welcome to Squarebirds........ best bunch of people around.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:30 PM
Super-Experienced

Do we have any FE Forum members that could post Austins pictures to see if any of their membership recognizes these exhaust manifolds?
Old 04-07-2009, 05:50 PM
Super-Experienced

Ca58tbird is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTE427 View Post
Austin,

I've circled the mystery item that appears on both sides of your engine, seems to be part of the exhaust manifold, can you shed any light on these items?
I am pretty curious about the "mystery item" also. So I paged thru Steve Christ's "FE Big Block" book and didn't find anything really worth noting, however I do see that the "mystery item" does appear to exit the exhaust manifold in the same place as the typical FE's heat riser tube. Could this thing-a-ma-jig be some type of substitute for the heat riser? But then again it doesn't seem as tho the thing has a lead up to the carb/choke body. So guess I am too clueless.
Thunderbird Registry #3810 VTCI#7652