This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:16 PM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Guys,
Has anyone sit down and tried to figure out a way to put fuse box and new wires in these old Birds?
Old 02-28-2009, 08:28 PM
Moderator / Administrator

Dan Leavens is on a distinguished road
Cool

Ray I am terribly sorry that this situation has happened to Yellowrose and you must be devistated. The only good news is that apparently your mechanicappears to have good ethics and has agreed to repair the damage. While the dash is out now is a good time to inspect,all the wiring and connections that are exposed to prevent any other incidents
in the future.You will be cruisin with her in no time
58HT #33317 60HT # 23023
Old 02-28-2009, 09:50 PM
Super-Experienced

Bob M is on a distinguished road

Ray
Sorry to hear about your fire
You are a very lucky to have some one up there looking over you
What is the white out for in the picture
Bob M

Bob M
59 Bird
72 Charger
Old 02-28-2009, 10:18 PM
Administrator

byersmtrco is on a distinguished road

Thats a bummer Ray. Hope it gets resolved soon. The Dodge Charger I had as a kid caught on fire (more than once actually) but the bad one was the alternator wiring. Smoked the whole engine harness. As it turned out, I got a harness out of a Plymouth Satalite (very similar car) at the wrecking yard and had the whole deal changed out in about an hour (WITH the main power wire from the alt routed away from the exh/manifold)
Poss 3rd Gen T/B owner
Old 03-01-2009, 12:14 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Just When You Think You Have It Made..

I think my mechanic was using the white out to mark wires and connector blocks to help him make sure he got everything hooked back up right. It looks a lot worse than it actually is, he said. That black stuff on the wiring is that old tar like substance they used for waterproofing. And a lot of that is electrical tape that melted.

I offered him the use of the wiring chart for my Tbird but he said it was all pretty simple, that he is used to re-wiring old cars like this. He does a lot of old car and truck restorations. If he needs the chart, I will get it to him. He said he is going to inspect and fix any defective wiring and cap or seal off any bare or unused leads. He says when he gets done, it will be safe.

This could have been a lot worse, because, apparently, it only effected 1 or 2 wires, that I know of. I need to find out which actually caused the problem. He thought, initially, that it was the ballast resistor behind the problem. Then he said it might have been that when he re-installed the steering column that he might have damaged a wire in it. I may have to ask him to pull the steering column again and check out all that wiring..

As a result of this, I called my insurance company and had them triple the value on the car. I told them that I had put so much money into it since the purchase and it was now worth triple what I paid for it. It did not cost me a lot to increase the value. Now, should something else go wrong with that wiring, or it ends up in Mexico unexpectedly, I will get my investment back..

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 03-01-2009, 10:46 AM
Experienced

Dutchbird is on a distinguished road

I've got something called "Start Lock" installed for a few years now, it works perfect!
I switch it totally off when she's in the garage at home (including the fuse) and when I'm at a meeting for a day/weekend I only turn off the knob.

Here's some specs of it:
This unique construction has been manufactured of a high-quality stainless alloy and has a perfect fit on the battery pole, also on Ford batteries (flat pole). With a simple turn on/off the whole electric circuit is eliminated, a further turn and the knob has been removed for an optimum guard. But the 16 amps cutout/fuse still give circuit to present clock, windows, radio, alarm installation, etc.

The advantages are:
* prevents discharge of the battery
* prevents electric fires
* slowing down/delay robbery attempts
* very fast interruption
* designed for 6, 12 and 24 volts (100 amp.)
* easy assembling by everyone
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Startlock1 resized.JPG (56.8 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg Startlock2 resized.JPG (55.3 KB, 108 views)
Old 03-01-2009, 10:51 AM
Moderator / Administrator

Dan Leavens is on a distinguished road
Cool

Ray good idea with the insurance compnay increasing the coverage. Another suggestion ( as we need it up here in Canada for additional covergage ) is to get a current appraisal done to capture the increased value of Yellowrose We had this discussions last year on the forum and found out that different countries / states had different rules of the policy with their insurance providers
58HT #33317 60HT # 23023
Old 03-01-2009, 12:22 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Just When You Think You Have It Made..

Thanks Dan for the appraisal recommendation. Many of you know that Lou Paliani, President of VTCI, lives in the San Antonio area. I was planning on driving Rose to our monthly STTC meeting on Saturday to have Lou appaise her... and so they could see her. It has been about a year since the S&S that Bart and I drove her to in Castroville. A lot on her has changed since then. So I was going to show her off to our club members.

Unfortunately, she never made it to the meeting, but I did, and showed them pictures of what had happened. Lou has done a lot of appraisals over the years, including, I think, providing information when Kev's beloved J Bird went up in flames.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 03-01-2009, 04:03 PM
Experienced

Petrolhead is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Secondly, we might have a discussion about adding a master fuse to any of our cars. Where would it go and what amperage? I'll toss an opinion out that fuses are there to prevent so much current from flowing as to cause a fire. The old cars have exposed hot points in a number of places and serious current flow is a possibility.

I have a fire extinguisher too but I would rather have a fuse blow long before it's ever needed.

Thoughts??? JOhn
Ray, sorry to hear bout your wiring, at least it's being sorted out amicably

John, I'm certainly no electronics expert, your idea is great in theory but not sure how to do it. Problem is that various items have different current draws, so you would have to use a fuse with a sufficiently high rating to match the electrical item with the highest draw. Then, the low draw items such as the clock's wiring (1amp I think?) wouldn't benefit from a master fuse.

What I'm trying to say is that in my case for my two airbag compressor my master fuse is 75amp, so i would need a master fuse that would handle that high draw - which is useless because if the radio's circuit earthed out and melted, the 75amp master fuse wouldn't protect it.

That's why a car's fuse box has a multitude of fuses to protect each item, and why you have to use the right amperage fuses for the instrument lights, horn, heater etc.

Anyone else have any ideas/comments?

The master cut-off previously mentioned is a good idea, but won't help when the car's being driven.

I would have thought that if Ray's ballast resistor earthed out, a fuse for the ignition circuit should have melted?
Old 03-06-2009, 11:01 AM
Tinkerer

Howard Prout is on a distinguished road

Ray, is Rose back up and running? I hope so.
"Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341