This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:11 PM
Experienced

kuusamon is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all your responses,
I just ordered all the needed books, especially the book from William Wonder. On close inspection the car is not in bad shape at all, one part of the body under the passenger door piece needs to be replaced, original keys are missing from the door locks, engine needs to be probably overhauled, it is out of the car anyway, might as well do it, radiator is missing and on the left side under the dash against the side of the car is a misterious black handle that can be moved up or down, does not look like it is original. Also I ordered the Ford parts replacement book to see which parts from other ford cars are interchangable.

The interieur is maybe not original upholstery but its is done nicely and is not damaged at all, has all de folds, stiching etc. like original ford specifications so I expect that when it was still in California it was redone, and its leather.

Thanks and regards,
Ron
Old 02-16-2009, 05:58 PM
Moderator / Administrator

Dan Leavens is on a distinguished road
Cool

Ron it sounds from your last post that the fun is just about to begin. Yes an overhaul of the motor is probably a good idea now, as it is out and also you can take a good look at the engine well, wiring and other areas of concern with no obstructions.Don't forget the tranny while you are at this stage. The best part is seeing the bird come together as " projects" and then the final cruise with the now restored classic. Keep us posted with pixs along the way.

Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
Old 02-16-2009, 07:07 PM
Experienced

saverio is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb simple fix

Ron,
Perhaps a simple procedure will at least get the deck open. If you find the release handle and you pulled on it with no results,try pushing down quickly and with some pressure right at the top corner of the deck on the drivers side. My 60,occassionally hangs up and I push on the deck to release the holding mechanism. Afet that you have to investigate to see what went wrong.
Good Luck,

Sal

60 T BD

Thunderbird Registry # 33126 - VTCI # 11138- CTCI #02521
Old 02-17-2009, 10:51 PM
Administrator

byersmtrco is on a distinguished road

Make sure you're getting power to the switch. The car needs to be in Park or Neutral for top to operate. If you need to hold the lever up in Park to start the car, you need to do so again to operate the top.

Pull the switch out to put the top down and push in to put the top up.

Here's a picture of the hood rel/handle & the top sw(on the Rt)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM1023.jpg (238.7 KB, 68 views)
Poss 3rd Gen T/B owner
Old 02-18-2009, 01:34 AM
Super-Experienced

dgs is on a distinguished road

The rear deck screws down to the body via two screw drives at the leading corners of the deck lid. The motor is in the center of the deck lid and there's a flex shaft to a gear box at each leading corner. This drives the screws that thread into receptacles on towers in the corner of the trunk.

If the motor doesn't work, I think the actual procedure is to cut a hole in the rear fender well so you can unbolt the towers and lift the lid. Read your manual. There's a top mechanism manual, but I think all that info is in the regular shop manual.

The '60 mechanism is quite a wonder. Hydraulic pump, 4 cylinders, 2 electric motors, flex shaft drives, gear driven screw tie downs, 10-12 relays and assorted limit switches (give or take). Once it all works, it's real cool.

Scared my Grandfather and he worked the top as little as possible just in case something went wrong.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:13 AM
Administrator

byersmtrco is on a distinguished road

HA Ha !!
Yeah . . . Guys that work on the Space Shuttle look at THAT system and say "WOW" !!!

Actually, the more you use it, the better it works.
Poss 3rd Gen T/B owner
Old 02-18-2009, 04:16 AM
Experienced

Aha, thanks again and thanks John for that pic.
The engine hood release is not here in my car but I will look for the cable. Indeed very good advice about the car needs to be in park before you can operate the rear deck, would have never thought about it. I knew about starting the car of course that needs to be in park, as all automatics do but for the rear deck to operate I would have overlooked that. The engine and gearbox our out but hopefully the switch to engage the electrics to the rear deck might be in the gear lever on the steering collum.
I will start taking some pictures soon and post them here.

I read/heard that there were some flaws with this model concerning cooling etc. I found a original new radiator somewhere here nearby, is there anything to improve these flaws? needs to have an oil cooler or something to improve the cooling? anything to improve the engine? are there ovehaul sets available like a set with all the gaskets and bearings?.

The person I bought it from told me that the engine is in runing condition but it looks a bit rusty on the outside and looks like it has not been run for a long time, since it is out anyway I thought overhauling it might not hurt.
regards,
Ron
Old 03-08-2009, 08:05 AM
Experienced

Hello,
I started to check what has to be done, I found the hood release, the handle itself was gone and the cable was pulled back and hidden away behind the dashboard.
The reardeck is not functioning yet, I have to overhaul the hydrolic pump(s).

I have a question or rather request again.
Does anybody have som pictures or drawing for the dashboard layout. Ofcourse the main meters are there but lights, switches etc are hanging lose or are gone.
Where is the ignition switch located? on the dash or on the steering collum? how does it look like?

thanks again, regards
ronald eveleens
ps I try to take some pictures myself today
Old 03-08-2009, 10:18 AM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Hey ronald,
If you go to search above hit that and type in dash pictures. On the second page go to 60 bird interior pictures dated 11-14-2007, he has some good pictures of dash. And oh by the way the key is on the left side of steering column. Keep us post we will try to help you!
Old 03-08-2009, 12:00 PM
Experienced

Thanks Richard it helps.
any idea if the lock cylinders can be opened? I do not have the correct key set for the doors and the ignition (the ignition cylinder was with the parts in a box), and see if the sequence of the metal parts can be rearanged to fit another key?

regards
ronald