This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:08 PM
Super-Experienced

Bob M is on a distinguished road
Question Genartor Woo'S !!!

We took a night trip last weekend and when I used my high beams my gen. light would come on very dim. Never ran the battery down but I would like any suggestion out there of things to do to correct this problem.
I have driven about 3200 miles this summer in the day time with no problems

Bob M
59 Bird
72 Charger
Old 09-08-2008, 08:07 PM
Super-Experienced

bcomo is on a distinguished road

I have AC and 35 Amp Gen and that happens to me too. When the big load is put on the gen to come up with the charge, it just barely can do it.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:52 PM
Experienced

birdbrain is on a distinguished road
Default ground problem

I had this problem once as well, cleaned the ground strap and it went away. I used to see the generator light extra dim with heater , radio and lights on.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:18 PM
Experienced

LuckyJay is on a distinguished road
Smile

You might want to take a look at the brushes in the generator.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:53 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

to get some more precise information you might install either an ammeter or voltage meter. Ammeters are harder to find but you can get a voltmeter anywhere (the Sunpro line in Autozone for example).

Grounds are always suspect in old cars due to rust, paint and so on...cleaning up both the engine and chasis ground is a good idea.

It never hurts to clean the brush holders and check the brushes. But your generator light is not on so I am not sure they are the immediate problem. One of my brushes was stuck in the holder due to dirt and my light kept going off and on. I cleaned it all up and that was the end of the problem.

John
Old 09-09-2008, 09:24 PM
Super-Experienced

Bob M is on a distinguished road

Well I took the gen off and cleand it good put new brushes in it which the old ones look good but what the heck. I will try it this weekend . I tried to information about the PowerGen that is listed in our Tech section but have not heard back from them yet,
Will let youal know hao it works out next week
Thanks for all your imputs.

Bob M
59 Bird
72 Charger
Old 09-09-2008, 09:27 PM
Experienced

skyd is on a distinguished road

I had the same issue when stopped at a light and the car idled low. Never had a battery issue, just assumed that the light was flawed. I did as John had mentioned and connected a voltage meter, never dipped beneath 12.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:32 PM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road
Default Generator light on

I had generator rebuilt, changed out voltage regulator and cleaned all wires that went to both. I have purchase several 1960 Thunderbird books. I have one book that shows #18 yellow-black band wire going to ARM on voltage regulator another book shows same wire going to BAT terminal on voltage regulator. My Thunderbird still has factory wire end terminals on wires at voltage regulator. I can remove cover on voltage regulator and touch BAT contact and light will go out and stay out until I shut her off. But have the same problem after car is restarted. I have took these wire off ohm them out from regulator to generator and put them back where they were. Anyone have any ideal what wires goes where and or what else may be wrong?
Old 02-03-2009, 10:14 PM
Super-Experienced

bcomo is on a distinguished road

Richard:

I'll get you some info on the wires from my 60 tomorrow morning.

Meanwhile, here is a post that I wrote back in 2007.

Here is how the generator light works:

The generator light has two leads. One lead goes to the "hot" side of the ignition switch, where it get +12V. The other lead goes to the Armature (ARM) terminal at the regulator (smaller of the two yellow wires).

When the ignition key is turned on, but not started, the bulb gets power from the ignition switch, and is receiving a partial ground at the ARM terminal on the regulator.

Summary: The bulb goes on because it gets +12V from the ignition switch, and it gets partial ground (-) from the ARM terminal at the regulator. (+ to - = Bulb lights up)

When the engine is started, the ARM terminal receives +12V from the generator. Now the bulb sees +12V from the Ignition switch, and +12V from the ARM terminal at the regulator. (+ to + = Bulb goes off)

The bulb is in a constant state of "Tug-O-War" between the Ignition Switch +12V and the ARM terminal +12V. If the Generator puts out less than +12V, because of low RPM or loose belt, then the bulb will glow because there is less voltage on the ARM terminal and partially grounds the bulb again. (example: +12V at Ignition Switch to +11V at ARM Terminal = Bulb lights up).

So, at low engine RPM, in drive, at stop lights, the Generator Voltage output will normally fall below Battery Voltage at the Ignition Switch -- and the bulb goes on -- which is normal.

A light that stays on constantly means low generator voltage output directly from the generator.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:57 AM
Administrator

byersmtrco is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

The gen light in my 60 has glowed dim (@ idle) since day one. Not all the time. Like everything else with that car it's intermittent. I know allot of people convert to internally regulated alternators. I've never had a problem with the generator. We've prob put 4 or 5 on that car in 48+ years (& pushing 300K miles). The only accesory that draws excessive power is the conv top mechanism. Since using that is pretty much like tea time in England (everything else stops) it's not a concern. If I had AC and elec fan and a thumper stereo, yeah, I would convert it. And who knows maybe someday we'll have all those things. Not likely very soon though.

I believe you can adjust the voltage regulator. Check the service manual.

JB
Poss 3rd Gen T/B owner