This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:52 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default '58 Tbird W/Opera Windows!

I have been in correspondence with new member Marco aka Dutchbird. I have been helping him trace some information on his '58 Tbird. It just so happens that it comes from San Antonio!! I have been able to get in contact with a previous owner about it. Here is what Marco has to say about his Tbird. Wait until you see the two pictures I will post below!! I cant wait to see what Anders has to say! Marco has it registered in the Tbird Registry as #4628.

"My T-Bird is a 1958 Hardtop with the VIN number: H8YH100939

Body = 63A
Colour = B
Trim = XA
Date = 15A
Trans = 4
Axle = 1

It was originally Winterset White with a Blue vinyl and nylon interior package. It's repainted in the USA (don't know what year) in two-tone Red/White with a red and white interior before I bought the car in 1998. It was shipped in 1997 to Europe from Dallas, but the car came from San Antonio according to the "Texas Certificate of Title" I have with it. The last owner, from San Antonio, passed away I know from searching the internet. (before I could contact him unfortunately) That's my knowledge in brief about the history of the car so far. What also maybe can help is that I have the license plate that reads: (TEXAS 58) AN 9711.

Most particular are the "retro" earlybird portholes in the c-post of the car. Far from original I know, but it looks as if they could be there from the assembly line. I wonder who did that to the car and in what year it was done.........
So far my little story, some pictures are coming up soon I promise!
(Not show-quality, but then you've an idea of the car)"

Since that posting, I was able to find out for Marco that a previous owner had the Opera windows installed, either at a local Ford dealer, or by an auto shop. Then another owner (the one I talked with) had it repainted because he liked the present paint and interior scheme better.

Now it lives with Marco in The Netherlands. There REALLY is a '58 Tbird with Opera windows in it, as I had heard not to long after I joined Squarebirds. Little did I know that it used to live in San Antonio! It is interesting that both Marco's Tbird and Anders came out of Texas! Here are the two pictures he sent me so far. He will send more and I will post them when I get them. Enjoy!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 58Tbird~OperaWindows.jpg (69.9 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg 58Tbird~OperaWindows2.jpg (73.9 KB, 129 views)

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 02-04-2009, 04:03 PM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Arrow

Those windows are quite striking in the rear pillars aren't they?? I'm undecided right now though, I guess I'd have to see her in person...

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:05 PM
Moderator / Administrator

Dan Leavens is on a distinguished road
Cool

Marco as a 58HT owner myself welcome to our site. I had to look at yours a couple of times, to see the opera windows usually designated for the babybirds. I must say that they are very striking, unusual to see and may be the only one in existence. What size diameter are the opera windows or are they from an original babybird??

Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
Old 02-04-2009, 07:54 PM
Experienced

Dutchbird is on a distinguished road

tbird430, you're always welcome if you visit Holland to take a closer look. (Bed & Breakfast included)

Dan, thanks for the welcome and in my opinion they come from an original earlybird.
The glass has the FoMoCo stamp in it and the chrome ring looks exactly the same as on babybirds I know in the Netherlands. The two pictures are just a preview, I've more on another pc but not available yet.
I'll try to fix that to post some more pics if you like......
Old 02-05-2009, 01:43 AM

I think what has thrown off some in viewing the pix of Marco's '58 Tbird with the Opera Windows is that the two pictures were taking at an angle. That, perhaps give them the appearance of the eliptical shape of the '72-'76 Lincoln Mark IV windows. But these are round windows. Marco will be sending some more straight on pix so you can see that these appear to be the windows that were installed on a Babybird. I hope to have confirmation of that from a previous owner of this car who lives here in San Antonio. We think that owner bought a pair from a local Ford dealer and either had them installed by that dealer or had someone else do it for him. I hope to have that story soon. He has compared with windows against Babybirds in Holland and they seem to be the same windows.

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 02-06-2009, 07:12 PM

Anders is on a distinguished road

The car looks VERY fine. I wish Ruth will be a shiny as this one, one day..., and have the same fine shape and chrome on the bumpers. I can not realy comment on the opera window yet. Need to let it sink in for a week or two first
I have bought the same mirrors though. 3 of them as a matter of fact, so I can pick the one with the best chrome....
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Last edited by Anders : 02-06-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:54 PM

Here is proof that Ford did consider manufacturing the '58 with the Opera Windows in it. This from a friend of mine.

Ray, I have checked some of the books I have and found that the Auto Editors for Consumer Guide published a book Called “Thunderbird Chronicle” in which appears an overlay drawing of the 1958 T-Bird Top that includes “Opera Windows”. This was only an overlay drawing and there is no indication that any were actually produced. Prototypes or otherwise.
See picture attached.

Regards

Gene

Now I will post the picture, though it is not of the best quality, and the wording as to what it said next to the picture. The wording was skewed during the copy process.

1. Cutouts for different greenhouse designs could be overlaid on this illustrated styling study. The one at top left is close to eventual production version, but carries the porthole from earlier two-seat 'Birds. 2. Noted period auto journalist Joe Wherry compares the heights of a standard '58 Ford, a new '58 Thunderbird and '57 version. 3. Five vertical grilles on the lower door-panel"bombs" identify a '58 in profile. 4. Another '58 laps Ford's test track at full tilt. 5. Squarebird
convertibles looked good from any angle. Honeycomb grill and tail-light surrounds were exclusive to the '58s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0010.jpg (144.5 KB, 101 views)

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 02-07-2009, 08:15 PM
Experienced

Dutchbird is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Myrberg View Post
The car looks VERY fine. I wish Ruth will be a shiny as this one, one day..., and have the same fine shape and chrome on the bumpers. I can not realy comment on the opera window yet. Need to let it sink in for a week or two first
I have bought the same mirrors though. 3 of them as a matter of fact, so I can pick the one with the best chrome....
Hi Anders, thanks for the compliment but she's not a showwinner although the chrome is in a very good shape. (lot of work to do still, but perfection is not what I pursue, she's not new but has a history of many years you may see I believe) Ruth is also a statue of her own according to me, and..........your the driver!!
I 've bought two other mirrors also, but found out the glass won't move.
Must try to solve that problem without force and have the same mirrors LH & RH.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:16 PM

Marco just sent me four more pix of his beautiful '58 w/Opera Windows. Lets see if I can upload them without having to downsize them some more. Yup, they made it. Thanks, Marco for sending them to me so I could share them with the other members. It is great to know that this beautiful Tbird, originally from San Antonio, is alive, well and in good hands in The Netherlands! Enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marco58Tbird3.jpg (55.2 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg Marco58Tbird4.jpg (64.2 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg Marco58Tbird5.jpg (93.9 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg Marco58Tbird6.jpg (30.8 KB, 90 views)

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Last edited by YellowRose : 02-08-2009 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Text adjustment
Old 02-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Super-Experienced

Ca58tbird is on a distinguished road

Marco, I sure do like your Bird's opera "port lite" windows. Kinda gives the car a nautical flavor. Now seeing them makes me wish I had the port lites in my 58ht.
Thunderbird Registry #3810 VTCI#7652