This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:17 PM
Moderator / Administrator

Dan Leavens is on a distinguished road
Cool Left Side Ignition

Over the years there has been discussion, questions and opinions, on why the ignition key on the squarebirds is located on the left side of the dash. While just about all cars have it located on the dash generally over the years it has moved to the right and eventually on the column.With 85+ percent of the world being right handed, can anyone shed any light on this or provide documented fact as to the why??? I have researched this and also talked to other birders but have not come up with the why??? I am sure one or two of you more knowledgeable people can let us all know the " true story".

Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
Old 01-28-2009, 07:30 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

Dano, if you search the threads from last summer or so, someone clarified this (left side vs right side). It was while we were discussing the capability of removing the key while the car was on. Believe it had to do with keeping the passengers (kids) from being able to get at it easily.

John
Old 01-28-2009, 08:09 PM
Experienced

protourbird is on a distinguished road

It was marketed as a safety factor primarily by Ford. It was claimed that this was safer by keeping the key out of reach of children. Whether this was the real reason or not I wouldn't swear to it but in the late fifties Ford was making a big push on safety items like the padded dash, the recessed steering wheel, and the key on the left. It was probably as much marketing as anything.

Jim

protourbird

Last edited by JohnG : 01-28-2009 at 09:11 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:10 AM
Administrator

byersmtrco is on a distinguished road
Cool

Coming from a long time Ford family, the version I heard was, all Ford's from ?? to the early 60's had the ign/sw on the left.
GM & Chrysler were on the right. Due to popularity and pressure from the feds to be more "universal" Ford moved the switch over to the right around 1964.
Some of the Ford's my dad owned were the 60 TB, a 55 Crown Vic (red & white of course), a 51 Ford convertible and a 48 convertible. We also had a 62 Merc Monterey when I was a kid (my 1st car). Ign sw was on the left in that also.

Having to hold the shift lever up while starting was a theft deterent (HA HA !!)
Poss 3rd Gen T/B owner
Old 01-29-2009, 07:32 AM
Super-Experienced

fomoco59 is on a distinguished road

I came from a GM family, but do I remember Ford moving the heater controls to left of the steering wheel for a while (60's?) and maybe even the radio?

Mike Lemmon
'59 Raven Black Hardtop

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=2461
Old 01-29-2009, 08:43 AM
Super-Experienced

TChicken is on a distinguished road

I think Ford knew there detent plates were defective so they just figured it would be easier the hold the shifter up with your right hand and start it with you left.LOL
Old 01-30-2009, 12:19 AM
Super-Experienced

Ca58tbird is on a distinguished road

I like George's detent plate theory, but just now watching the Men's7 TV show and they are test driving a Porche 9-1-1. They noted the key is on the left side and explained that the left side key location is a carry over from the old days of the LeMans 24 hour race where the driver had to run to the car at the start of the race. The left key location allowed the driver to crank the ignition at the same time his right hand would already be on the stick shift. So guess that then means us Squarebirders can always be ready for a quick start and go.
Thunderbird Registry #3810 VTCI#7652
Old 01-30-2009, 12:46 PM
Super-Experienced

tarps3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca58tbird View Post
the left side key location is a carry over from the old days of the LeMans 24 hour race where the driver had to run to the car at the start of the race. The left key location allowed the driver to crank the ignition at the same time his right hand would already be on the stick shift. So guess that then means us Squarebirders can always be ready for a quick start and go.
can you imagine jumping in a squarebird that way?!
It would be a good way to lose a knee cap! ha!
Old 01-30-2009, 11:50 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

the mere thought of getting into that car in a hurry makes my knees ache!! I'd replace the windlace with foam pipe insulation for starters...
Old 01-31-2009, 09:24 AM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road
Default Wrap around windshield

Yea! The first time my son got in my Thunderbird he hit his leg. He looked at me and said that's going to leave a mark. He also asked me (rubbing his leg) what did Ford do make a windshield and build a car around it? I about got in the floor laughing at him, I told him the wrap around windshield was classic. He said classic for what, keeping the hide tore off your leg.