This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:29 PM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road
Default 1960 Sending unit

Hey Guys,
I took my sending unit out today. Made up grounding wire with terminals on end for grounding, turned key to on and worked unit. It would try to read but was sluggish. I took it apart and spring sensor was messed up. I am in process of trying to get new one. My question is is fuel filter at carburetor the only filter on 1960 Thunderbird or is there one in tank?
Old 01-25-2009, 06:33 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

gauge: you could buy another one on Ebay for cheap and either steal parts or swap.

filters: there is one in the tank. If you search old threads, someone took a photo of a tank cut up in a junkyard and showed it. Does not seem to be removable. I drained my tank and blew out the filter with carb cleaner.

john
Old 01-25-2009, 06:38 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default 59 Gas Gauge

Bird Nest has the Fuel Tank Sending Unit A4-25 For $69.95. Fits the '58-'60 Tbirds gas tank. That is where I got mine from. 800-232-6378. I am sure the other Tbird parts places have them also.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 01-25-2009, 06:46 PM

Default Gas tank filter

THANKS GUYS!
I found one on Ebay for fourty dollars plus shipping. I have sent sells person question if it was new or not. I also noticed he had several.
I had carberator rebuilt last year by company in Texas. He told me carb. was a mess. I still have some hesitation right at take off. Could filter in tank be clogged or do I have fuel pump issues?
Old 01-25-2009, 06:57 PM
John

did you find a Sending Unit or Gas Gauge on Ebay for $40 ??

There are a ton of possible causes of hesitation...
Old 01-25-2009, 07:01 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default 59 Gas Gauge

Hi Richard,

It could be a clogged fuel filter at the gas tank. Or at the fuel pump. Or a line in between the tank and the fuel pump. Or from the fuel pump to the carb. It would not hurt to either blow those lines out, or replace them. It could also be that it might be a simple adjustment at the carb. Lets see if the guys have other suggestions. Glad you found a fuel sending unit. I hope it is a new one. Otherwise, you don't know what you are getting. But even if it is not a new one, you should be able to hook a meter to it and check out its swing back and forth from the empty to full position. If you have any drop off of the reading as your go through the arc you will know you have a unit with a faulty rheostat... That was what was wrong with mine. I had several spots in that swing across the rheostat where it would suddenly drop to a zero or empty reading..

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 01-25-2009, 07:02 PM

Default 1960 Gas Tank

I found 1960 fuel sending unit on EBay for forty dollars plus shipping. Any suggestions for hesitation?
Old 01-25-2009, 11:10 PM
John

Does it (hesitation) happen with the car totally warmed up? How long has this been happening?

Things that come to mind:

* timing retarded
* lean low speed mixture
* weak spark
* vacuum leak

When did you last tune it up?

john
Old 01-26-2009, 01:58 AM
Super-Experienced

bcomo is on a distinguished road

My top two choices would be Timing is retarded, or Vacuum Advance leaking or not working.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:29 AM

Default Fuel sending unit

I finally got an answer from guy on EBay about sending units. They are new and are stainless steel. I looked at my Thunderbird books and the cheapest one I found was $49.00 plus shipping. I think $40.00 on EBay is pretty good deal. If any of you guys need one better get it quick, I think he had ten and only one day left. As far as hesitation, I do not have timing light, on my 1978 Thunderbird I always set it and drove her to see how she responded, seemed to get her pretty close. Is 1960 the same or are they more sensitive? Also how can you tell if vacuum advance is retarded? My wife tells me I am retarded sometimes, but I know I can not get replacement parts for me. Ah... yet!!!