This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:39 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Generator Woes !!!

Here is more information that Alexander provided us several years back regarding converting from a generator to an alternator. In these posts, you will find several links to the PowerGen company who makes an alternator for our Tbirds, that looks like our generator. Click on the various links to see that, and read what Alexander and others had to say about converting over to an alternator. Also, do a Search on "alternator" and you should find a lot more information.

http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...ead.php?t=1279

Here is the information on the company that makes a bolt on alternator mount for our FE engines. Check with them to see which one works on a 430 engine.. This is the C.R.A.P. company or Custom Replacement Automotive Products.

http://www-link.com/cgi-bin/odbic.ex...lientno=1681.0

Click on the Ford Parts button to see their mounts.

There is a lot of additional information when you do a search on "alternator" on this forum... Like this...

http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...earchid=119610

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Last edited by YellowRose : 02-26-2009 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old 02-26-2009, 03:29 PM
Experienced

Petrolhead is on a distinguished road

Thanks Ray, you're a legend - really apprecaite all your help

The car's in the shop today, getting the charging circuit checked out. Wanted to make sure it's doing everything it should before I head down the alternator route.

I'll let you know how it works out

Cheers

Alistair
Old 02-26-2009, 05:33 PM
Busted Knuckles

Penelope is on a distinguished road

Alistair, with my son's bagged car, we had EXACTLY the same problem with a new battery, so we are installing a second battery system as well as replacing the generator with an alternator. Running the two compressors as you are will definitely kill battery cells according to the autosparky that we are using.

I will be interested in the outcome.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:44 PM
Experienced

Hi Bill

Thanks for the pics you sent me, looks like an awesome day. Love the Moon disks on your son's Impala

Just had a call from the workshop, thay agree, generator's not up to the task which i figured anyway. Problem is the generator's toast too, won't charge at all - unlike my wife who charges evereything (:

So, off to buy an alternator and will have a go at the conversion over the next week or so.

Also had a maor oil leak, good news is that it wasn't the rear mains seal as I thought, but almost as bad, it's leaking between the head and block, so it's head gasket time.

I've got an All Ford Day to go to this weekend, so I'll just keep pouring in the oil and fix that over the next couple of weeks. On the upside, if I get lost on the trip I'll be able to follow the oil trail home - it's leaking a litre for every 100kms, and it's a 350km round trip.

Gas station: "hey mate, fill 'er up with oil and check the petrol please..."
Old 02-26-2009, 06:11 PM
KULTULZ

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrolhead View Post

I've been driving my '62 a bit over the last week without too much trouble, but yesterday I had the stereo going, air, and had been playing with air bags a bit so the two compressors were running intermittently. This flattened my battery to the extent that car stalled in traffic, and wouldn't restart due to a totally flat (brand new) battery.

The gen light glows faintly at idle, but is fine the rest of the time - I believe that it simply can't keep up with the draw of the extra electronics.

I'll check out the voltage regulator/generator as posted on this forum, but gut feeling is I need an alternator and originality isn't an issue. I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers

Alistair
You have no choice but to go to an ALT conversion. You actually need the late 3G 130A ALT with just one HD battery.

A conversion can be done tastefully so that it would take a lot to be noticeable.

Yours is a 430?
Old 03-08-2009, 10:36 AM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road
Default Bad generator

Guys, This is the second generator I have got from Thunderbird Headquarters. I took generator back off took it and voltage regulator to automotive electric shop to get them checked out as some one had suggested. The shop called yesterday and said generator would work a little and quit start working again and quit. I'm about done with the generator. My question is, I was looking at conversions on line and some said I should go with three wire alternator instead of one wire. If I go this route which one should I get and I would need some easy to follow step in what needs to be done. I looked at several sights and everyone has a different ideal on how to install these. HELP!!! I would like to get a alternator that built inside old generator housing, but the cheapest one I found was over eight hundred dollars.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:08 PM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
You have no choice but to go to an ALT conversion. You actually need the late 3G 130A ALT with just one HD battery.

A conversion can be done tastefully so that it would take a lot to be noticeable.

Yours is a 430?
Thanks Kultulz, good advice. Mine's a totally stock 390/auto. If I hang the alt down low on the passenger side, same as the original generator, it'll hardly be noticeable. Will look into one you sugegst - thanks.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:20 PM
KULTULZ

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrolhead View Post

Mine's a totally stock 390/auto. If I hang the alt down low on the passenger side, same as the original generator, it'll hardly be noticeable.
The 3G has an internal regulator and internal fan, whereas the 1G an external regulator and external fan. Would you want to keep the external regulator for proper appearance or is it important (the 1G will also be more difficult to differentiate from the GEN)?
Old 03-08-2009, 02:23 PM
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard D. Hord View Post

My question is, I was looking at conversions on line and some said I should go with three wire alternator instead of one wire. If I go this route which one should I get and I would need some easy to follow step in what needs to be done. I looked at several sights and everyone has a different ideal on how to install these. HELP!
Read the post above about ALT types. You want the FORD 3 WIRE style.

Do you have an FE or MEL?
Old 03-09-2009, 11:19 AM
Super-Experienced

fomoco59 is on a distinguished road

I just got a new free catalog from Mac's Auto Parts (a nice color catalog now) and they have an alternator built into a generator case for 58-64 'Birds. It's called "PowerGen". 60Amp idle and 75Amp at hiway speeds. PN 10346-82101, black case = $374.95. chrome = $425.95.
Enter the description POWERGEN or PN at this search: http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....hPage~cadeffcJ

Mike Lemmon
'59 Raven Black Hardtop

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=2461

Last edited by fomoco59 : 03-09-2009 at 12:48 PM. Reason: added part num/price