This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:25 PM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road
Default Generator light on

I read my shop manual a little more in depth last night, about checking things over and that the voltage regulator may need to be adjusted. I played with her this evening and I think with a little more tinkering I may get the problem taken care of. I got to checking the voltage from the ALT post at the voltage regulator and it was low as some one had stated in a previous thread. I got to tinkering with the contact in the regulator and voltage went up and generator light went out. After you guys post, reading shop manual and thinking about the two together, the voltage system is rather simple. THANKS GUYS!!! I will keep you posted on what I find out. Also if you guys have any other info you would like to share, I would appreciate it.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:20 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

Having a volt meter in the car that you can watch might be good, at least for awhile. You can see that it neither goes too low or too high. The "too high" part is important so you don't boil the battery dry or burn out bulbs (something like 13.5 volts comes to mind).

SunPro makes a nice one with a white face that you can mount under the dash above your right leg. It's lit so it kind of looks cool at night...

A year or so ago I had a new voltage regulator that did not work. I remembered something an old electrical whiz once told me and ran a business card in between the points. It's worked fine ever since!

John

Last edited by JohnG : 02-04-2009 at 09:28 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:27 PM
Administrator

byersmtrco is on a distinguished road

As I recall, last time I tested mine, it was 13.2 @ idle & 13.8 @ 2500 rpm.
Poss 3rd Gen T/B owner
Old 02-07-2009, 09:30 AM
John

that sounds pretty good!

The shop manual tells us that the max current actually occurs at only 1225 rpm, realistic for a car not turning high rpm much of the time. (anyone know how fast in Drive you are going at 1225 rpm?). The max current is 30A, which ain't all that bad when you realize it translates into about 375 Watts (not so hot if you put a 500W boom box in your trunk though...)

Interestingly, the voltage regulator is temperature sensitive and purposely allows a higher voltage to be maintained during colder temps.

Also, and I had long forgotten this, there is one coil devoted to disconnecting the generator when the car is not running. This is of note for someone who is finding their battery mysteriously going flat while they are not using the car. This could be one of the causes and would be easily checked by disconnecting that lead to the regulator (to the so-called "cut out relay").

All this stuff is in Part One of Group 7 in the '58 manual.

John
Old 02-24-2009, 08:48 AM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road
Default Generator light on

After checking a little further. I found the new (or rebuilt) generator was only putting out 3.3 volts. I checked it at the back of the generator at the armature post. I called Thunderbird Headquarters and they said to send it back. I did got the new one (or rebuilt), installed it, light still on check volts at back of generator again and only 2.3 volts. When I race engine gen light will get dim but not go out. Does anyone know for sure how much voltage should be at that point on generator, before I call these people back? And would I be better off to install alternator instead?
Old 02-24-2009, 10:04 AM
John

Two suggestions:

1) get the Shop Manual out

2) look in the Yellow Pages in your area. Find a place under "automotive electric" or something similar. Take both the generator and the voltage regulator to them and ask them to check them out thoroughly. They work as a tandem. This is good money spent and you will be able to put the problem behind you.

john
Old 02-24-2009, 12:51 PM
Tinkerer

Howard Prout is on a distinguished road

The "Gen" light on my '59 has always had a dim glow, but only visible at night. I haven't tried the fixes mentioned in previous posts, but it hasn't caused me a problem. I am attaching a couple of photos of my gauge readings, one at fast idle (because the car was very cold) and the other at 2000 rpm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Electric Gauges @ idle 640px.jpg (60.7 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg Electric Gauges @ 2000 rpm 640px.jpg (66.0 KB, 74 views)
"Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341
Old 02-24-2009, 06:50 PM
Super-Experienced

tbirds8 is on a distinguished road

Those gauges look right on the money to me. And that's great with a gen.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:04 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Generator Woes !!!

In answer to your question about whether or not you would be better off with an alternator, in my opinion, you would be. However, if you want to keep the car original, the answer would be no. If you want to do what I have done with my Tbird, make it a better running car then it used to be, then go for it.

However, in converting from a generator to an alternator, you are going to have to either modify the generator mounting bracket to accommodate the alternator, or find an alternator bracket that will bolt up to your engine. We went the modify the generator bracket route. That meant changing the belt out also. It took awhile to get the bracket modified and mounted right, but it has been working well ever since.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 02-25-2009, 04:05 PM
Experienced

Petrolhead is on a distinguished road

Thanks Ray, that's good advice

I've been driving my '62 a bit over the last week without too much trouble, but yesterday I had the stereo going, air, and had been playing with air bags a bit so the two compressors were running intermittently. This flattened my battery to the extent that car stalled in traffic, and wouldn't restart due to a totally flat (brand new) battery.

The gen light glows faintly at idle, but is fine the rest of the time - I believe that it simply can't keep up with the draw of the extra electronics.

I'll check out the voltage regulator/generator as posted on this forum, but gut feeling is I need an alternator and originality isn't an issue. I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers

Alistair