This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:43 AM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

In "birdbrains" defense, he did say it was a 352cid Bird. I guess that means the Holley carb that came on my parents 1958 Bird could be OE then; I had just always presumed the Ford carb had been replaced at some point in time. My parents are the 3rd owners- 2nd owner bought it from his brother-in-law (who purchased the car new).

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:47 AM
Experienced

Hawkrod is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird430 View Post
In "birdbrains" defense, he did say it was a 352cid Bird. I guess that means the Holley carb that came on my parents 1958 Bird could be OE then; I had just always presumed the Ford carb had been replaced at some point in time. My parents are the 3rd owners- 2nd owner bought it from his brother-in-law (who purchased the car new).
Just post the numbers from the air horn, There are either two or three rows of numbers. Three rows means it is an OEM carb (but could be off of something else), the second row is the Holley list number and the last row is the date code (which can tell you if it has been replaced even if it has the right part number!). Hawkrod
Old 08-22-2008, 04:32 PM
Experienced

birdbrain is on a distinguished road
Default carb numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkrod View Post
What year and engine do you have? The Holley has a number on the airhorn. Post all the numbers and we can get you the exact part number (the choke covers are not all the same). Note that no 1960 Thunderbirds came with a Holley (maybe you have more than one bird?). Hawkrod
I am going down to my garage tomorrow and I will get those numbers for you. When the choke was working proper the car would start after sitting on the first revolution. I have the exhaust flap on the passenger side, this along with the choke made this car start quik and warm up quickly as well. I want it to return to that.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:47 PM
Experienced

Default Holley carb number

I finally got my bird out of the garage, I have the numbers off the carb
List 1850
I noticed that this carb has a steel line for the vac.advance, it also has the heat transfer tube in place. This is why I thought it was not a transplant. My question is will it be easy to get the choke housing so I can have easy starts in the winter? Thanks in advance
Old 09-02-2008, 08:34 PM
Experienced

protourbird is on a distinguished road

The list 1850 is a very common carburetor in the aftermarket. At one time it was the most popular and is a 600CFM rating. The parts should be easy to find.

Jim

protourbird
Old 09-02-2008, 10:37 PM
Super-Experienced

bcomo is on a distinguished road

BirdBrain:

Is this what your looking for for your Holley 1850?

AutoZone $10.99

http://www.autozone.com/N,14900215//...eResultSet.htm

Last edited by bcomo : 09-02-2008 at 10:51 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:08 AM
Experienced

yes that's it
Old 09-03-2008, 12:31 AM
Experienced

Well, looks like it is a time for a Bit-O-Trivia! LOL The venerable 1850 is in fact the most common aftermarket carb ever made. It is rated at 600 CFM and is ideal for a 352, Now for the trivia part, the carb you have is not an aftermarket carb. The first line 5752426 is one of the original OEM applications for the 1850. In particular it is a 1959 Mercury 430. The Ford part number is a PB9M-9510-E. Holley books will often list this as also fitting Lincoln and Tbird 430 but they were never used on those models. The 1850 proved to be such a useful and popular model that Holley eventually marketed it directly (less the Ford part number) and still does today! The one you have is from 1965 and was made the fourth week of February in 65. Hawkrod
Old 09-03-2008, 02:46 AM
KULTULZ

Question

PB9M-9510-E

Do you have the correct text for LINC or MERC to get into the parts list for this carb HAWKROD?

Basic PN 9848. I have a NOS here for an early FORD HOLLEY.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:05 AM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
PB9M-9510-E

Do you have the correct text for LINC or MERC to get into the parts list for this carb HAWKROD?

Basic PN 9848. I have a NOS here for an early FORD HOLLEY.
Ya think? What is the number? LOL Hawkrod