This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:17 AM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

Anders makes an important point: a good ground is critical and often overlooked! Paint and rust can ruin it. If you have a long jumper cable to go from the Neg battery post to where you are working you can quickly see if lack of ground is the problem. When I got my '58, the Temp sensor and gas tank sending unit did not work simply for want of a good ground.

I got out the wiring diagrams and found the following: in between the brake light switch on the firewall and the tail lights in the rear is a relay! Does anyone know physically where this sits?? If it fails or has no ground then no brake lights. So I need to learn more about it.

John
Old 08-26-2008, 11:59 AM
Super-Experienced

GTE427 is on a distinguished road

John,

I to have been searching and asking where this relay is located. I see it on wiring diagrams, where the diagram notes to bypass a faulty relay in lieu of replacement. The wiring diagram led me to believe it was located in the dash. I believe the relay was phased out during the 59 Model Year, was present on the entire 58 year, missing in 60. I don't have a source document to back this up however, can anyone add to this?

I found a Ford Product Service Letter that instructs the tech to bypass the brake relay located inside the drivers rear quarter behind the trunk side panel lining.

I haven't checked my 59 for this relay, maybe a 58 owner could look at there car to verify this location
Old 08-26-2008, 01:22 PM
Experienced

trim code 76 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Thanks for the help guys, sounds like this is a problem that crops up from time to time with different causes. I am pretty busy the next few days but will try and find time to test the reading at the light switch lead itself for the green wire that goes to the brake switch. If I have no power at this terminal, I would think that that would tell me that it is the light switch itself and the mechanisums inside for this function. Other stuff works off the switch so that means it has power. If the lead has power, then it has to be in the wire leading from the light switch to the brake switch (Green wire). Makes sense to me because the brake swithc is not getting power according to my readings. So if a relay IS located AFTER the brake switch thenit has been eliminated because the power has stopped before it. I could be way off base here because I am definately not an electrical wizz. Just trying to use logic (on an old car??) and what little brains I have. Will definately keep you posted. This should be interesting!!!!!!!
Old 08-26-2008, 03:56 PM

Anders is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat15 View Post
As a strong suggestion, use the SEARCH feature of this forum above and enter "Brake Lights" in the topic. There are several threads on this issue. It seems that we all have had a lesson on this lost little fuse holder. I remember that I offered the guy in Sweden to fix his brake lights if he would pay the commute expences. He got his fixed shortly after my offer. DARN!
Itīs still not realy fixed to be honest. But I got some life in them...But I beleve I have some kind of ground problem. My rear lights all works, but when braking, the right side realy shine, but at the same time, the left one cuts off. Also when using the indicators, the right one works, but the left is quite weak.
On the winter-must-do-list. I mean, I passed the inspection when I promiced to fix it..... Just didnīt say when.....

I remember very well that there are fuses looks like they put them there on random. Some was inside-up the center consol, and some abowe the lightswitch. You will cut your fingers/hands/arms while trying to reach them, because gloves will only make your hands to big... I looked like I have hade a fight with a cat afterwards. Adjust your seat as rear as possible, put a small flashlight in your mouth, glide in backwards, and bend your body, and you might find them. For me, it was like trying to bend a ball, make me very aware that I used to be a bit more fit....A disapointing discovery.
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Last edited by Anders : 08-26-2008 at 04:05 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:07 PM
Experienced

vernz is on a distinguished road

GTE427,

I have a 59 that was made in November 1958. I know I have the brake relay because I have the rear seat out right now and I can hear the relay when I hit the brakes. I haven't put my eyes on it yet but the sound is coming from the rear drivers side area. I think that bulletin probably is correct. If I can find it I'll post a picture.

Vern
Old 08-26-2008, 06:23 PM
Experienced

protourbird is on a distinguished road

Anders, the weak lights are definitely a grounding problem and Vern, good luck & keep us posted. This gets more interesting by the hour.
You could always lock a brother in law in the trunk and have him listen and look while you're driving.

Jim

protourbird
Old 08-26-2008, 08:02 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

so lemme see if I have this straight:

a) there are relays from 58 to mid 59

b) they are either accessible from the trunk or rear seat, on the driver's side

c) if they fail you simply by-pass them

I am going to get someone to step on my brakes repeatedly with the car off and see if I can hear the relay.

Thanks, everyone! I knew nothing about this before...

John
Old 08-26-2008, 11:17 PM
Super-Experienced

bcomo is on a distinguished road

If anyone finds out where the relay or fuse is in the 60, I'd sure like to know -- just in case.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:52 AM
Experienced

FeFranco

For my circumstances, Wildcat15 is correct. I did have brakelight issues. I did find a green wire under the dash coming from the brakelight switch (very difficult to tell under there) with an inline 14(or 15) amp fuse. It was in NO electrical diagrams I've studied. You might find this wire if you look under the door sill plate and follow it to the birds nest under the dash. Very frustrating. Mine is a '60. Good Luck and FIND THAT WIRE!
Old 08-27-2008, 03:36 AM
Experienced

trim code 76 is on a distinguished road
Red face

This gets more interresting by the minute! I guess I have really stirred a nest on this one! I have guest in town now and will be about 5 days until I can do some more checking and then will go diving with flashlight in mouth, bandades in one hand and a torniquet in the other! If you do not here from me agian, it's been real, it's been fun, but has it been real fun??????????????????? RIP and LOL!!!