This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:17 AM
Experienced

trim code 76 is on a distinguished road

Thanks! I guess I will buy a multitester and check it out. As I said, electrical is by far my worst area, in fact I will have to learn how to use it! I much prefer mechanical and restoration over the gremlins of electrical. Oh well, time to learn. I will keep you informed. Thanks again for the help.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:45 AM
Super-Experienced

Bob M is on a distinguished road

After you are sure you have power to the brake light switch,and you have jumped the power direct to the line that goes back to you brake lights and they don't work then the problem may be in the wiring that goes to the back to the brake lights. Using a Multimerter I would run a seperate wire from the brake light switch wire out side the car hook one end to one of the lines on the multimeter,and then check each light connection of the brake lights to make sure I have connuity at the brake light, if you do then you know that the wire from the brake light switch to the rear is good.I would then check the light bulbs with the multimeter to make sure they are good.

Bob M
59 Bird
72 Charger
Old 08-25-2008, 10:51 AM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

I got a multimeter in the sale bin at the local autoparts store for $9 recently. They dont last forever but do OK while they work.

You want to find the DC scale for voltage first of all. Then you need to develop a litte confidence with it.

Open the hood and test the voltage across your battery. You should see a reading of somewhere between 12 and 14 volts. Set up the meter so the Red lead goes to + and the Black lead goes to Com on the meter (which goes to - on the battery). If you can get this to work for you (get the 12-14 volt readings) you are off and running!!

With that success, go to the two leads to the brake light switch on the master cylinder. Touch your black lead to the master cylinder for a "ground" (-) and your red lead to the two leads to the switch, one at a time. One of them should should 12 volts or so. If not, you know the problem is at the headlight switch (see earlier posts). If there is voltage then the problem is between there and the rearend.

Keep us posted!! If you are going to have an old car then a multimeter is an important tool, but also easy to use.

John
Old 08-25-2008, 01:56 PM
Experienced

Thanks Guys!!!! Your A Big Help. Will Check This Week And Let You Know. This Sight Is Very Helpful!!!!!! Knew I Bought A Squarebird For More Than Just A Very Cool Car!
Old 08-25-2008, 05:26 PM
Experienced

Talking

ok, got the multitester, and I have NO power at either lead going to the brake switch (battery is at 12). So it is either the headlight switch or the in line fuse (?). I have checked my manuals, wiring diagrams and they do not show this fuse (?)(maybe I can't read the diagrams, QUITE POSSIBLE!). So it is around the the ignotion switch? Do you know the color wire I am looking for? I ALWAYS keep the car (all cars) stored with the battery cable off (+). I guess it is possibe I did some work at one time with it on. I will be looking for this in line fuse to see the condition of it. I thought the only in line fuse was for the clock. THANKS GUYS!! Again, this sight is fantastic!! I have other cars and there is no other site like this, then again, there is no other car like the squarebird!! I have a little time left so I will do a little prelim hunting.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:12 PM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Arrow

There are 2 fuses on the ignition switch, maybe you will be so lucky.

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:46 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

my money is on one of them being shot. I think
he accidently shorted a hot lead out while working on the rear of the car. If there is no voltage at the brake light switch then that comes close to guaranteeing one of those fuses being out.

john
Old 08-25-2008, 07:25 PM
Experienced

Red face

Ok, well I checked the headlight switch and those fuses are fine. Sorry guys for being stupid on this but where exactly are the two ignition fuses you are talking about? Are they both inline behind the dash? Thanks for helping out the electrically challenged! After reading the above, just confirming that the two fuses in question are ON the ignition switch. If that is the case, I have learned something new! I thought the fuses were attached to the headlight switch only. Always a student!
Old 08-25-2008, 09:17 PM

Anders is on a distinguished road

Have you checked so it is properly grounded after you worked with it? Old cars = mechanical problems....
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158
Old 08-25-2008, 09:45 PM
Experienced

LuckyJay is on a distinguished road
Wink

Keep looking! It is a green wire with an in-line 14 amp fuse. Mine was above and to the far left of the ignition switch as you look at it from the front side of the dash. Many guys (including me) have cut their hands and fingers by digging around in there. It is possible to remove the left most gauges (temp and fuel). But make sure that you mark where all the wires go for re-assembly. As a strong suggestion, use the SEARCH feature of this forum above and enter "Brake Lights" in the topic. There are several threads on this issue. It seems that we all have had a lesson on this lost little fuse holder. I remember that I offered the guy in Sweden to fix his brake lights if he would pay the commute expences. He got his fixed shortly after my offer. DARN!