This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:06 AM
Experienced

trim code 76 is on a distinguished road
Angry Brake lights have "stopped" working!!

My last puzzler.* I recently took my rear taillight pods out, cleaned them extensively and put them back in.* Now my brake lights stopped working.* The bulbs are good and I tried a new brake light switch off the master cylinder.* Checked the wire connections there as well.* No help.* The wires are in excellent shape around the tail light pods and the turn signals and rear lights work, just no brake lights.* WHAT GIVES????? (I hate electrical problems!!!!!!!!!!!!).* Thanks again guys!!!!!
Old 08-15-2008, 07:59 AM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

First I would see if I had any power at the brake light switch. Hopefully you have either a multimeter or test light. One of those two wires to the switch screwed into
the master cylinder assembly should be hot. IF it is then connecting the two wires together should make the lights come on as you have bypassed the switch (I use a drill bit as both are female)

If neither wire is hot then you need to go to your headlight switch as that is where the power comes from (see article I wrote in Technical Resource Library on headlight switches)

If one IS hot then the problem is between the switch and the rear end.

I often ask myself the question when something fails "since it recently worked OK and I just worked in the area, am I the cause of the problem?" meaning that I accidently disconnected the hot lead to the rear taillights somehow...

John
Old 08-15-2008, 09:14 AM
Experienced

LuckyJay is on a distinguished road
Cool

My 60 HT had a blown fuse under the dash near the ignition switch that caused the same problem.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:46 AM
John

good point... if he did not disconnect the battery and shorted out a hot lead while working then the fuse would quietly blow. As the power comes from the headlight switch and on the 60 there is a fuse then that fuse has to be checked if he finds no voltage at either of the two leads to the brake light switch on the MC. If he finds voltage then the fuse is off the hook...

The switch, for me , is no fun to get at. With the fuel gauge removed, I can look at the whole thing and maybe get at the fuse with no further dismantling but I am not
sure on this one. But first things first...decide if there is power from the switch.

john
Old 08-15-2008, 10:53 AM
Experienced

Smile no brake lights

THANKS GUYS! I can't believe i forgot about that fuse. (Electrical is my worst area). I will check on SAt. and let you know! Cheers and get them birds out!! Also, anybody on this sight from the northwest? I will be taking the car to the regionals in Spokan WA in 2009. See you there!!!
Greg
Old 08-15-2008, 11:38 AM
John

by all means let us know how you make out!

john

Ps The brake light power is not switched... it is always On independently of the key and Ignition Switch. So if one is working in the area, caution is needed, or disconnecting the battery. In other words, with no key in the Ignition Switch, and you step on the brake, the lights will come on.

Last edited by JohnG : 08-15-2008 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:04 PM
Administrator

byersmtrco is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
by all means let us know how you make out!

john

Ps The brake light power is not switched... it is always On independently of the key and Ignition Switch. So if one is working in the area, caution is needed, or disconnecting the battery. In other words, with no key in the Ignition Switch, and you step on the brake, the lights will come on.
What he said !!!!!!! Check those old style "pole" connections.
My brake light switch is 1973-1978 1/2 Harley Davidson FXE
But it does have those dumb connectors like he orig had.
Poss 3rd Gen T/B owner
Old 08-24-2008, 09:44 PM
Experienced

Question still no brake lights!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, sorry not to get back sooner on this, but other things have taken priority.... I just checked both fuses on the light switch and both are good. I cleaned each push in connection for each tail light socket and all are good and clean. On both sides, the outer two red lights come on when the head lights come on. The reverse lights come on when they are suppose to. I have replaced the brake light switch on the master cylinder and that did nothing. My wiring is in excellent shape. I checked the light bulb connections, all good. COMPLETELY STUMPED!!!!!! ANY IDEAS??? Thanks guys!!
Greg
Old 08-24-2008, 10:15 PM
John

Cleaning connections is an excellent idea but you still have to get a multimeter and follow the voltage. That the tailights and reverse come on OK is pretty much irrelevant.

1) do you have voltage at the brake light switch? Y/N?

2) If No do you have voltage to the brake light switch from the headlight switch?

3) If Yes do you have voltage at the center contacts of the rear brake lights? (connect the two leads that go to the brake light switch together to perform this test)

But no matter what you have to determine where you do and dont have voltage in the circuit.

john
Old 08-25-2008, 12:19 AM
Experienced

LuckyJay is on a distinguished road
Smile

As I said and has been mentioned before, see if you have voltage at the Stop switch. If not, look for the in-line style fuse near the ignition switch. It may be folded back up against the dash (hiding). It is NOT on the headlight switch. Before you dig too deep, pull the + lead off the battery post as this system is hot all the time. Be careful with the battery connected or learn how to use an ohmmeter when the car battery is disconnected. I was able to get enough length in the fuse holder to move it closer to the underneath side of the dash to replace the fuse more easily. Good Luck.