This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:45 PM

Anders is on a distinguished road
Default More nostalgia

Film from the plant 1963

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ0LN...eature=related

Every year a winner ( GREAT one!! )
Just wonder if we realy are the target group for this car....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec9RY...eature=related

The stainless steel Thunderbird ( on the line July 11, 1960 )
I was 4 years and 2 days then....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAxrC...eature=related

1960 commercial ( Funny, the people in the Ads looks quite rich and luxuious, but the price suppose to be fair. Hmmm.... Have that ever attaratced the rich? )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyi3N...eature=related

Bonus: Chevrolet! "Thrill Drivers Choice"
Not that the car is worth looking at......or that the suspension impresses, because it dosnīt, ( Springs: Yes, Dampers: No ), itīs just pure nice nostaliga. And the helmet after 4.09 is awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au9I5...eature=related

Pic below: Me pretty much the same week as the Stainless Steel Thunderbird left the Wixom plant.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IW3-1.JPG (50.0 KB, 124 views)
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Last edited by Anders : 08-04-2008 at 02:51 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:55 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

factory photo: that guy with the striped shirt looks suspicious...

Anders - great work!!! You tracked down alot of great stuff!

Productivity: this would be very interesting to track down. The only variable I can think of that might mess it up would be if there were two production lines running in parallel. But this kind of info must be out there somewhere.

I do recall reading that Ford did very well in profit terms on the Squarebirds...The design and tooling had not been too expensive and the assembly was not bad...I have a feeling that $1000 per car was not out of the question.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:07 PM
Busted Knuckles

Penelope is on a distinguished road

Good stuff Anders - great viewing. The 1960 advert in particular looks like the Birds were pitched at the affluent part of society.

Love the helmet, the only thing that would be good for would be somewhere to hold your brain after you pick it up after the accident!
Old 08-04-2008, 11:18 PM
Super-Experienced

dgs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Myrberg View Post
The stainless steel Thunderbird ( on the line July 11, 1960 )
Really? I thought I heard that those stainless birds were the last ones made. Something about the hard stainless destroying the stamping dies.

The reason I ask is that my car was built on July 26th, and I remember checking at the T'bird registry and finding that there were some 10,000 Squarebirds made after mine.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:25 PM
Experienced

Hawkrod is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernz View Post
I shot some pictures of 5 junk yard Squarebirds that I will post soon. I included pictures of the data plates and found that the VIN number on one of the 59's is only 383 higher than mine. The date code on mine is 10L (a Tuesday), and the date code on the junk yard car is 13L (a Friday). So that's 383 cars produced in 3-4 days.

Vern
Unfortunately you would be wrong in your assumption. Cars are not built sequentially. A car with a serial number 383 higher than yours could have been built weeks before or after yours. On your build sheet there is a box marked ROT and it has a number in it. The numbers run from 001-999 and then start over. That is the sequence cars are built in. 001 was followed by 002 etc... Cars were batch built based on common features to make the line run faster so they would build a group of say 50 white cars and then 50 red or whatever. If you look at that line picture you will notice that the cars are the same color. I have two 1968 Mercury Cougars, one is 8F93S545119 and the other is 8F93S545139. They are actually twin cars and were built in the same batch but 139 was finished three days before 119. I have also seen 8F93S545117 and it was built 4 days after 139! The serial numbers are no good for figuring out production because the numbers are not related to the assembly process. Hawkrod
Old 08-05-2008, 12:58 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default FYI - 59 production rate in Nov. 58

Thanks, Anders, for posting those video links. There are a lot more of them to look at off to the side. I have been enjoying looking at a lot of them. Nice stuf..

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 08-05-2008, 07:45 AM
Super-Experienced

fomoco59 is on a distinguished road

I talked with John Rotella "the Code Cracker" about this subject. "In the years 1958 through 1976, Thunderbirds shared the same assembly line with Lincolns (as was the case in 2002-2005).
Ford VINs always start with the number 100001. During the SquareBird Era, Lincoln VINs started with 400001. So it is easy to tell how many were built, or to be precise, how many were scheduled to be built.
From what I have read and understood from people who worked on the assembly line, in the SquareBird Era it was most common to see Convertibles only a "Convertible Day", they never ever mixed Hardtop production with the Convertibles. Lincolns had their own separate line on which they would be veered off for some special items, and then the Lincoln Convertibles had their own special line off that one! It must have looked like a railroad yard.
The only place where Thunderbird production is confusing was at Dearborn (1955-1957), and Los Angeles (1968-1976) when Thunderbird production numbers were merged with other Ford products.
All Lincolns were built at Wixom starting in 1958, and continuing right up until the present with these two notable exceptions: the Versailles (built at Wayne with the Granada and Monarch) and the present-day MKX (Oakville).

Right, this photo is correct. As the assembly line process neared its end, the Lincolns would go off to the side for some special quality checks, and tests of some components that the Thunderbird did not have.... like automatic dimmer or power door locks. Then the Lincoln would get back on the regular line. In late 1957, when the new big Lincolns were being built at Wixom but Thunderbird production had not yet started, they really enjoyed some intimate "hand holding". A retired ex-manager from Wixom told me a while back that he felt the reason that Square Bird production was delayed was really to accommodate the workers in a new surrounding, and to get the Lincolns on the right track.
Every road test comparison of the day, Cadillac vs. Lincoln, always puts Lincoln ahead in the quality control department. Not to say that they were such wonderful cars, but for 1958 standards they were the best in the U.S. "

Thanks John.

Mike Lemmon
'59 Raven Black Hardtop

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=2461
Old 08-05-2008, 08:16 AM

Anders is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgs View Post
Really? I thought I heard that those stainless birds were the last ones made. Something about the hard stainless destroying the stamping dies.

The reason I ask is that my car was built on July 26th, and I remember checking at the T'bird registry and finding that there were some 10,000 Squarebirds made after mine.
I only wrote what the film said.
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158
Old 08-05-2008, 11:22 AM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

You're safe, Anders..... being in Sweden there's no way we can get to you to beat on you for any possible mistakes!
Old 08-05-2008, 11:58 AM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
You're safe, Anders..... being in Sweden there's no way we can get to you to beat on you for any possible mistakes!
LOL!!! You guys are real funny. LOL!!!

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.