This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:41 PM
Super-Experienced

RustyNCa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirds8 View Post
Hey Rusty My 66 will out stop my 03 f-150 and my 71 mark and just about every thing else. Gota love those 4 piston disc's
Yeah, the brakes on my 65 are nothing short of amazing really, when ford decided to add the discs to the birds they went all out. But it does make it a challenge when you go playing with rims and the heavy overhang the calipers have.

My only real complaint on the 65 is the single reservoir bothers me, at some point down the line I plan on swapping that out.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:57 PM
Super-Experienced

Bob M is on a distinguished road

Where is a supplier for 14x7's rims I will need these if I put dics brakes on the front of my 59.

Bob M
59 Bird
72 Charger
Old 07-29-2008, 03:08 PM
Experienced

skyd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird430 View Post
$550 isn't bad for a bolt on front disc kit (w/o booster or master cylinder).
not at all, compared to some of the others I have seen. I picked up the master for about $40 at napa/ bolt on. I have seen new booster/master cylinder prices around $100-140 roughly. That is my next step.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:09 PM

Anders is on a distinguished road

Discs realy sounds like a good idea. My brakes realy sucks. They have faded quite dramaticly since spring. Canīt realy "Stop", but OK, she does "go down in speed" while pressing all I can....
Brake fluid is still full. Perhaps new drum shoes is needed?
But I might make her illegal by changing to modern brakes. Need to check that.
I guess original steel wheels, without venting holes is out of questions with disc brakes, as they require a lot of air flow. Like Skyd.
Anyone know the best brake shoes avalible?
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158
Old 07-30-2008, 04:12 PM
Experienced

FeFranco

Well I see that you looked into Drop N Stop, so I figured to give you my experience. I purchased the Drop N Stop conversion a while back and installed it myself. It was easy. I did replace the spindles, as per the conversion, which was probably the tuffest part. I did replace the ball joints along with other bushings while I was at it. I also purchased the dual master cylinder and powerbooster, a must! No regrets and Dick at Drop N Stop was helpful over the phone. The stock 14" rims did NOT fit over the rotors, but I had no problem with the 1 1/8th" sway bar.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:52 PM
El Guapo and La Chiquita

El Guapo is on a distinguished road

Just replaced Guapo's booster and master cylinder with a 74 Torino's.
It had a Midland but couldnt find one so I got a Bendix from my local parts store, Shucks.
Check Parts America for an online price and take that to a Shucks/Kragen.
It's cheaper to buy 'em sepratly. I think $110

Keepin it square!
El Guapo out!
Old 08-04-2008, 10:58 PM
Apprentice

rickauf is on a distinguished road

Get the kit from Lance at Thunderbirds southwest. My 59 convertable was undriveable. (I have a 63 bird, a 63 galaxie and had a 63 comet.. all stopped and drove fine with the factory drums) something about that 59, but after replacing everything on the front end and brakes, it still drove horrible. it was no fun to drive and sat in my garage. The upgrade was the best thing i ever did. disc brakes , dual cylinder, sway bar. my car drives like new.

I shipped my car down to Texas to have him install it (but i have no mechanical skills) he sells the kit outright. Have had it 2 years now, several thousand miles, high speed driving, driving in the mountains, etc.. all conditions.. just perfect.

in fact, i now have my 58 edsel down there having the same front end swap. looks stock.. and frankly i don't care if it's gm parts, or anything else as long as i can safely drive my wife/ kids around with confidence. I believe it is all granada stuff anyway. can use the 14 inch wheels, but they need to be off a granada, or merc/ lincoln of the same era (76 thru 83??)

i think the kit is a couple grand depending on how many parts you want from him (I think you can source a lot on your own if you are so inclined) i was directed to him on this board for this very topic a few years back.. i am surprised no one has bought it up in this thread!

anyway, call him and he can set you up, or at least tell you what you need to know. nice guy, won't try and sell u anything if u don't want. I have no affiliation with him/ recieve no kickbacks or anything like that. He just one of the few nice guys out there to work with. I would have sold my bird if he did not hook me up. enjoy your car!!!! Tell him "Dr. Rick" sent ya!
Old 08-05-2008, 12:49 AM
Administrator

byersmtrco is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Yep!!! Lance @ TBSW is "Da Man"!!!!
I didn't have him do mine. Didn't know about him @ that time. He solved several problems for me on the phone. Hind sight 20-20, knowing what I know now, my TB would have been on a truck to Texas in a second.

My car stops great. I can be haulin a$$ and bring her right down to a halt. And w/HD swaybars frt & rr I can go around corners too

W'HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!
Poss 3rd Gen T/B owner
Old 09-04-2008, 02:16 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road
Default Completed disc conversion

http://www.dropshots.com/DKHeld#albums/Tbird%20discs

Eric

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/ft.asp
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=5347

Last edited by YellowRose : 07-02-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:33 PM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Question

When did big brother make the new car manufactures add the dual brake master cylinders anyway? Was it 1966 or 1967?

I figured you '65 Birders could do an easy swap off a '66 Bird if they had these dual master cylinders as OE equipment.

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.