This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:43 AM
Super-Experienced

davidmij is on a distinguished road

Thx Eric, you're correct, I won't need to worry about the 70/30 part, the wheel cylinders make that up for you from what I've been told.
I don't know much about the setup I have but I did post the VIN info on the T-bird registry. I do like the cloth with the black vinyl seat. It didn't come with the front seats. I also like that it doesn't have AC or power windows - makes it lighter and easier to work on. So far I've pulled the gas tank and cleaned it, replaced the fuel pump, rebuilt the carb, replaced plugs and the wires. repacked the front bearings and greased all the tie-rods, check the shoes, rebuilt the windows and cranks and replaced the driver side glass. Put some $15 bucket seats in it from a local junk yard, cleaned out two squirrel nests and tons of pecan shells and sand. The lights, and horn etc all work.
My daughter wants to paint a square 59 on the roof in flat black. I told her she could do some flat black flames out the front wheel wells too. I want to put some cheater clicks on it eventually, A re-bar shift rod with brass knuckle shifter - tons of ideas to Rat it out. It was supposed to be a retirement project, but I could wait to start on it.
- Dave
Old 03-31-2011, 02:22 PM
Tinkerer

Howard Prout is on a distinguished road

The final issue I had with my disc brake converison was getting a pedal that felt right. There was no problem with the braking ability but the pedal went uncomfortably close to the floor. The rest position of the brake pedal is controlled by the length of the push rod. Rather than fiddle around making a number of push rods of different lengths, I decided to make an adjustable one, see atached. It took a couple fitting adjustments to find a length that gives a good pedal feeling. One other thing I did was put a stainless steel plate and rubber gasket over the old MC hole in the firewall. The rubber gasket has slits to allow the push rod to move back and forth through it. Now I hope I have put this project to bed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg adjustable push rod.jpg (265.1 KB, 369 views)
File Type: pdf Adjustable Hockey Stick Push Rod ver 4 -8.pdf (60.4 KB, 22 views)
"Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Last edited by Howard Prout : 03-31-2011 at 08:22 PM. Reason: corrections
Old 03-31-2011, 05:13 PM
Experienced

protourbird is on a distinguished road

SS Brakes makes an adjustable push rod and part of the "spongy" feeling is probably due to the firewall flexing.

Jim

protourbird
Old 02-29-2012, 12:38 PM
Tinkerer

Because I retrofitted the AC system into my car, I was concerned that I may not have installed the AC plenum in exactly the same place as the factory. The space between my new booster and the AC plenum is only about 1/8". Ray is planning on changing his brake system this weekend so I asked him to check the distance between the flange on the AC plenum and the left fender edge on his car. The distance on my car is 14 1/4". He measured the distance on his car and it is 14 7/8" so clearance between the AC plenum and the new 8" booster is not an issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Distance from AC plenum to fender.jpg (385.5 KB, 246 views)
Old 04-08-2012, 09:07 AM
Tinkerer

I redesigned the brackets so that they would be easier to fabricate. However I see in another thread that there are brackets for Jeeps that may be an easier solution yet.I haven't made a prototype or tested it in a vehicle, so while I am reasonably confident it will work, there are no guarantees. Both Ray and I have the previous version with the pinched brackets installed in our cars and they are working very well.

Last edited by Howard Prout : 04-08-2012 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Additions
Old 04-08-2012, 09:55 AM
Super-Experienced

keith is on a distinguished road

Thanks for posting the prints.

Keith

CLICK HERE for Keith's web site
Old 04-08-2012, 01:30 PM
Experienced

lawyercalif is on a distinguished road

I too would like to thank you for all your hard work on this. Although I am going with the Jeep extender bracket, you can only do this if you have or can find an original bendix booster to salvage the bracket from. There will be many who cannot find one and your bracket will be a lifesaver.

Just for the sake of introducing a new idea. I have not tried the Jeep/bendix bracket on the car yet.
It extends the MC 7" but only raises it 3 1/2". If it turns out there is a problem clearing the valve cover, I intend to make an adapter that will allow me to tilt the unit toward the fender by rotating it around the original push rod hole about 30-45 degrees clockwise. That should move it a couple of inches further from the AC plenum and the valve cover. It would require two adapters one to rotate the entire bracket unit and another at the booster to rotate the MC back to a level position. Has anyone here tried rotating a bracket to get the clearances needed?

Last edited by lawyercalif : 04-08-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:58 PM
Experienced

Jimz Bird is on a distinguished road

The Bronco bracket and booster are offset.
http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/te.../photo_07.html

The extreme is for the Baby Birds whee it is a 90 degree "bend". This appears to be the only way to add a firewall booster to the Baby Birds. This one necessitates relocating the battery.

Just talked with OID (Old Irish Dave) a week or so ago as he was looking into seeing if the Bronco could be used on the Baby Bird but no go.

Give him a call and ask about the Bronco.
Dave McCabe NM at 575-544-4729
Attached Images
File Type: png Offset booster.png (85.4 KB, 195 views)

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site
Old 04-08-2012, 07:44 PM
Experienced

lawyercalif is on a distinguished road

The way they offset the one for the baby bird (#9795 pictured in Jimz Bird Post) is the type of offset I am talking about. Too bad they don't make one with a 45 degree angle, 90 would be too much, 30 to 45 would be perfect. The type of offset on the bronco bracket is wrong as it bends the booster and mc at a 45 degree angle rather than keeping them straight and moving them over a few inches as I envision by rotating the whole unit around its axis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimz Bird View Post
The Bronco bracket and booster are offset.
http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/te.../photo_07.htmly

The extreme is for the Baby Birds whee it is a 90 degree "bend". This appears to be the only way to add a firewall booster to the Baby Birds. This one necessitates relocating the battery.

Dave McCabe NM at 575-544-4729

Last edited by lawyercalif : 04-08-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:39 PM
Apprentice

sunnybob is on a distinguished road

I hope it is not a stupid question but I'm going to buy the mustang rotors from summit to follow Scarebird conversion path. There are two different rotors type by Bendix in their catalogue, are they both ok or should I prefer one?

Type 1: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ben-prt1018

Type 2: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ben-prt1019