This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:51 AM
Experienced

cubbear is on a distinguished road
Default by pass hose

my 1958 352 has 5/8 outlet on water pump and 1 1/25 fitting on intake that has temp sending unit on it how do you connect the two?
Old 08-04-2010, 11:55 AM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Heater hose & two clamps. And it's a pain too!!!

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:56 PM
Experienced

the problem where do you get a hose with 5/8 on 1 end and 1 1/4 on the other would not be problem installing as I have water pump off thanks
Old 08-04-2010, 01:31 PM
Super-Experienced

GTE427 is on a distinguished road

Assuming that we're dealing with a Ford FE engine, sounds like the original hardware or manifold has been changed as the Temp sensor is located in the Intake Manifold, not the bypass hose, on OEM Ford FE's.

You may have to pursue changing the manifold outlet nipple to a 5/8" to match the water pumps nipple. Or if another fitting was added to accept the temp sensor, that may have to be removed and the sensor moved back to the original location.

Knowing how little space there is between the two nipples, I can't imagine what you have. If it's an aftermarket intake, maybe different nipple sizes are available from suppliers such as Summit Racing.

How were the two connected beforehand?
Old 08-04-2010, 03:05 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

The water pump I have came with a piece of rubber on the nipple to use as a spacer. I was able to get my hose over that but it wasn't easy. Seems to be ok though. Try different pieces of hose to see if you can find one to fill the gap. I'm pretty sure the outlet on my '59 352 intake isn't larger than 3/4 though. My temp sensor is in the outlet also. I think they changed it in '60.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:30 PM
KULTULZ

If anyone here has a 49/59 FORD MPC, the Basic PN on a WP bypass hose is 8597. There may be a PN for this unique installation or a service recommendation.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:38 PM
Experienced

Default by pass hose

thanks fellows, the setup I have is the same as it shows in thunderbird headquarters cat on page 32 there is a fitting screwed into the intake with the temp sending unit in it it was about a yr ago i took apart and do not remember what was there
Old 08-04-2010, 05:02 PM
Experienced

Default by pass hose

Thanks Kultulz that is what i have now i need to connect to water pump which is 5/8 or relocate sending unit
Old 08-04-2010, 08:05 PM
Super-Experienced

partsetal is on a distinguished road

The 58 & most of the 59's used the temp sender in the bypass port. There is a Part # for the spacer, but if your nipple on the pump will take a 3/4" hose, install a 5/8 over the sender pipe and a 3/4 over the 5/8 and connect it to the 3/4 nipple on the pump. Not all pumps use the 3/4 nipple, but if it does, this method will work.
Carl
Old 08-05-2010, 12:03 PM
Super-Experienced

GTE427 is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys for adding to and correcting my previous post, wasn't aware that the sending unit location differed on the early 352 engines. Always welcome new information about these old cars.