This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:05 AM
Experienced

protourbird is on a distinguished road

Glad you found it

Jim

protourbird
Old 06-12-2008, 03:28 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Edelbrock 1406 Question

Thanks, Jim, for all the information on the "flapper" valve and its function. I have no idea why I do not have one on this Bird. Apparently, someone took it off. Or it did not come from the factory with one. I have no clue.

Yes, I was very, very happy to find that problem. I drove it again today, and it is running very well. Now it is going through some front end work today. New upper/lower ball joints, bushings, new power steering hoses, new rubber bumpers and new(used) lower A Frames.

Some previous "Bubba" owner decided the best way to get the ball joints out was to use a torch on them and cut them out.... I have been riding around on lower A Frames with burnt out holes for the ball joints. It is a wonder I am not dead!! I will post some pix on Photobucket so you can see what someone did. I certainly hope your A Frames don't look like this! My upper ones are original ones, so he did not do anything to them, thank goodness. I have been able to find a set of lower A Frames from Don, at Birds Nest...

http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/h...owBirdOfTexas/

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 06-12-2008, 04:25 PM
Experienced

Petrolhead is on a distinguished road

Yellow Rose, those arms are shocking. Glad you discovered it before something nasty happened.

Am I right in thinking that some US states don't have regular safety checks? This kind of thing illustrates why there should be.

Here in NZ we have compulsory 'warrant of fitness' checks - every year for new cars (either up to thre eor five years old, not quite sure) and every six months for the rest.

The checks are carried out by government approved testing stations and workshops, it's user pays, but if a car has a serious accident and its found that a fault with the vehicle caused it, and the fault has been there prior to the last warrant being issued, the person that checked the vehicle is criminally liable and can be prosecuted.

If you get caught operating a vehicle without a warrant of fitness you get a stiff fine.

Modifications are more strict. I made a small modification to the upper A arms on my 62, and had small welds done. Those arms had to crack tested by X-ray Services before it could be certified and allowed on the road.

Some folk see this as excessive, I'm all for it as I know that changes I've made to the car are safe and up to a good standard of engineering practice.

Alistair
Old 06-12-2008, 06:42 PM

Hi Alistair,

Yes, it is true that some states do not have vehicle inspection requirements, unlike Texas, which does. The state that I bought "Rose" from does not have vehicle inspection requirements, so I was told. At least not for old cars like these. I am glad my state does. State vehicle inspections are conducted once a year depending on which month you last had it inspected. You can be ticketed if you are operating your car without a current state inspection sticker. However, the laws regarding state inspections vary from state to state. There is nothing on the books, that I am aware of, in this state, that requires a state vehicle inspector to look under your car for imperfections. Mainly, they inspect to see if your brakes, lights, horn, turn signals, things like that, are working correctly. There is certainly nothing like the more stringent controls such as you have or Anders has in his country. Thanks for your comments. "Rose" is going to have a very good front end after the work is finished and a good front end alignment is done.

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Last edited by YellowRose : 06-12-2008 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Additional text
Old 06-12-2008, 07:21 PM
Super-Experienced

RustyNCa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post
Can those of you who have recently installed an Edelbrock 1406 on your engine answer this question? There is a front and a back connection for the distributor vacuum connection. The manual says to plug up the one you do not use with the screw in plug that comes with the carb.

Which one did you attach your distributor vacuum connection to? The front or the back??

Good Birding!
Depends on if you like it from the front or back .......

I went the front in this case.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:04 PM

Hi Rusty,

I ended up putting that black plug in the center on the back. I put the vacuum hose to the side for cars with no emission controls, which, according to the diagram is the drivers side. It works fine for me, so far.

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 06-16-2008, 06:01 PM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirds8 View Post
Hey sarge you want ported vac not direct. So looking at the front of the carb! the left seemed to be ported to me and the right one direct. Seems to work. We don't need the hole you put the black plug in unless you want to put your brakes to it. But that's already hooked up. Take that thing and RUN it. ......................Bill
Ported vacuum is a smog-related 'fix' done by manufacturers to lessen emmissions compared to full vacuum..
Full vacuum gives the best all-round results but your smog tester may not approve.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:10 PM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post
. At that point, the rotor was one tooth off, advanced. He lifted the dist shaft slightly and manipulated it until he had the rotor lined up directly with the #1 plug wire position which they had marked. It took him awhile to get it, but he did. He made some small timing adjustments using a vacuum gun until he had it where it felt it was operating best.

Good Birding!
You do realise that merely wrenching the distributor in the right direction would have compensated for it being a tooth out? (assuming there's enough room to do so considering where the vacuum can etc are in relation to manifold etc)i

Or even moving all the leads one hole clockwise/counter-clockwise (depending on which way it was a tooth out) would also have fixed your problem?

Of course you would still have to re-time the dist. then but it means no need to pull the dist.

And vacuum timing is a pretty good way to go, use it more than a timing light, I only use the t/l to check what actual advance is.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:23 PM

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the comments. No, I did not realize one could do it that way. I left it in the hands of mechanics to fix. Not being one, I just watched. At least this way, the plug wires are on in the correct position they should be on. The Bird is running like a Texas Roadrunner now!

As for the vacuum hose, some have it hooked to the passenger side in front, others, like me, to the drivers side. It does not seem to make any difference. I had it hooked to the passenger side until I read the instructions again. They said if you have emission controls on the car to put it on the passenger side. If you do not, put it on the drivers side. Since I do not, I switched sides and put it on the drivers side.

Good Birding!

"It's Hip To Be Square"