• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Edelbrock 1406 Question

Hi Rusty,

I ended up putting that black plug in the center on the back. I put the vacuum hose to the side for cars with no emission controls, which, according to the diagram is the drivers side. It works fine for me, so far.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• scumdog
      Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by tbirds8
      Hey sarge you want ported vac not direct. So looking at the front of the carb! the left seemed to be ported to me and the right one direct. Seems to work. We don't need the hole you put the black plug in unless you want to put your brakes to it. But that's already hooked up. Take that thing and RUN it. ......................Bill
      Ported vacuum is a smog-related 'fix' done by manufacturers to lessen emmissions compared to full vacuum..
      Full vacuum gives the best all-round results but your smog tester may not approve.
      A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• scumdog
        Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by YellowRose
        . At that point, the rotor was one tooth off, advanced. He lifted the dist shaft slightly and manipulated it until he had the rotor lined up directly with the #1 plug wire position which they had marked. It took him awhile to get it, but he did. He made some small timing adjustments using a vacuum gun until he had it where it felt it was operating best.

Good Birding!
        You do realise that merely wrenching the distributor in the right direction would have compensated for it being a tooth out? (assuming there's enough room to do so considering where the vacuum can etc are in relation to manifold etc)i

Or even moving all the leads one hole clockwise/counter-clockwise (depending on which way it was a tooth out) would also have fixed your problem?

Of course you would still have to re-time the dist. then but it means no need to pull the dist.

And vacuum timing is a pretty good way to go, use it more than a timing light, I only use the t/l to check what actual advance is.
        A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Edelbrock 1406 Question

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the comments. No, I did not realize one could do it that way. I left it in the hands of mechanics to fix. Not being one, I just watched. At least this way, the plug wires are on in the correct position they should be on. The Bird is running like a Texas Roadrunner now!

As for the vacuum hose, some have it hooked to the passenger side in front, others, like me, to the drivers side. It does not seem to make any difference. I had it hooked to the passenger side until I read the instructions again. They said if you have emission controls on the car to put it on the passenger side. If you do not, put it on the drivers side. Since I do not, I switched sides and put it on the drivers side.

Good Birding!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
          Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎