This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:43 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Question Edelbrock 1406 Question

Can those of you who have recently installed an Edelbrock 1406 on your engine answer this question? There is a front and a back connection for the distributor vacuum connection. The manual says to plug up the one you do not use with the screw in plug that comes with the carb.

Which one did you attach your distributor vacuum connection to? The front or the back??

Good Birding!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 06-07-2008, 02:02 PM
Super-Experienced

tbirds8 is on a distinguished road

Front left
Old 06-07-2008, 02:15 PM

Default Edelbrock 1406 Question

Hi Tbird8!

Thanks for the reply. Front left as in standing in front of the car looking at the front of the carb? Passenger side or drivers side? You screwed the black plug into the center rear port, right?

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Last edited by YellowRose : 06-07-2008 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Revised Question
Old 06-07-2008, 02:18 PM
Super-Experienced

Yep You only need that small one in the front. We don't have alot of vac. acessores on these.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:21 PM
Administrator

byersmtrco is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Confirm that
Poss 3rd Gen T/B owner
Old 06-07-2008, 02:27 PM

I should have thunked out my question better before I posted it... I may have put the vacuum hose from the distributor/vacuum advance module on the wrong side in the front of the carb.

Should it be on the connector on the drivers side? Or the one one the passenger side? I screwed in that black screw in plug into the back center port... Did I set mine up wrong?

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 06-07-2008, 04:26 PM
Administrator

byersmtrco is on a distinguished road
Cool

Ok, so mine is older, but the 1406 on my 65 was the same set up. Vac port rh (pass) side frt goes to dist vac/adv. Other side is plugged off. Vac port rh (pass) rr is for choke pull off.
I am thinking the plugged off port would be for a later model with a thermostatic air cleaner (flapper valve in snorkle)
I believe my 65 had that and it was either locked open or the flapper itself was removed (can't remember)

The 1406 on my 72 El Camino had 3. 2 were plugged off, I had the open air cowl set up on that.

Make sure you have your choke on a more lean setting. It's those 3 set screws (torx) and counter clock wise to the last line. The dirrections are pretty straight fwd.

Actually my (older) Carter/Edelbrock (model # 9637) is a 635 cfm.

Same thing diff # !!! The 1406 is a more refined version.
Poss 3rd Gen T/B owner
Old 06-07-2008, 04:45 PM
Super-Experienced

Bob M is on a distinguished road

Ray I used the Vac. port on the front drivers side
Bob M
Old 06-07-2008, 07:45 PM
Super-Experienced

Hey sarge you want ported vac not direct. So looking at the front of the carb! the left seemed to be ported to me and the right one direct. Seems to work. We don't need the hole you put the black plug in unless you want to put your brakes to it. But that's already hooked up. Take that thing and RUN it. ......................Bill
Old 06-07-2008, 08:34 PM

Thanks for the replies. I have mine on the left (passenger) side also. I just wanted to make sure that I had it on the right connection.

I am still having a problem with slow acceleration. It will hardly go when in gear. It is sluggish like all get out, though the rough idle problem seems to have been solved by putting new spark plug wires on. It just does not want to go. It dies, sputters, and cuts out when you try to accelerate.

I am still only getting, at the most, 3psi out of the new fuel pump, which is the right vacuum fuel pump for this Bird. This fuel pump is a brand new one from Bird Nest. So I had an universal electric fuel pump installed. It is a nice installation, insulated on a rubber pad, to cut down any noise. Now I get a constant 5+psi and pretty much a full fuel filter of gas. We thought that might be the problem with the sluggish acceleration, not enough fuel pressure and gas to the carb. Apparently, not.

After much poking, prodding, consulting with others, testing, timing checks, (timing is on the money), it is thought that maybe the previous owner might have the distributor off by a gear tooth. Or the rubber between the harmonic balancer has dried out, allowing the two sections to have slipped a bit. Or that there might be something wrong with my Pertronix Igniter II. So we are going to follow Alexander's suggestion he gave us a couple of years ago, and time it by vacuum (if I have this right). Advancing the timing to a higher setting until the engine starts to ping under acceleration. Then back off just enough to stop the pinging.

If that does not fix anything, I am going to have the Pertronix taken off, and points and condenser put in, and set right. If that does not fix it, I am going to have a new stock coil put on, and see what that does. If that does not fix it, the next step might be to pull the distributor and look for a bent shaft, or worn gear teeth. If I have to, I will replace the distributor.

I have been reading the book on causes of poor acceleration. One of the things it talks about on the 352 is the exhaust gas control valve being inoperative or sticking. Where is this valve at and how does one check it? This has not been checked, to my knowledge. The spark plugs are new and have been set to .035 gap. Another cause, is distributor not advancing properly. It could be that. I dunno. I doubt it is anything to do with the fuel/carb now. The carb is new and has not been tinkered with. A transmission tech says the transmission is fine, so that does not seem to be the problem. An engine tech says the engine itself is really good. Any ideas on what else to check? It was so bad he could hardly get it up the incline onto the lift! He had to restart it several times just to get it up that slight incline. I guess he could have set the idle a bit higher, but it is set at where it should be, so I am told.

I am sooo frustrated about this. Just when I thought I had problems regarding rough running in gear fixed (and I do, it seems) I still have this problem of poor acceleration. If the things above do not fix it, you might find it on eBay!

Good Birding and I wish the Thunderbird God would send some of that my way!

"It's Hip To Be Square"