This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:20 PM
Super-Experienced

bcomo is on a distinguished road

Jon:

Do you guess that the spacer and fan wobble could be causing this?

Even though I can see the spacer and fan movement, the pulley still looks like it's tracking straight side to side and up and down.

I'm runnng out of ideas as to what is the cause.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:43 PM
Experienced

FeFranco

Well, not to get too far off track, but I don't think a wobble coming from the spacer between the pulley and the fan blade is doing your water pump any good. I would replace that, if anything, for the sake of your water pump shaft bearing. It might also be the problem. You might be able to squeeze it out without removing the radiator, just like Jon said.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:16 PM
Super-Experienced

Franco:

I was thinking the same thing after I noticed it. Don't ask me why I didn't notice it till now -- I guess not seeing the forest because of the trees.

How could a spacer be off center like that??? Everything behind the spacer is flat against the water pump flange, so it would have to be the spacer -- correct?
Old 06-12-2008, 10:26 PM
Experienced

FeFranco

I think, if you can take that fan blade out without nicking the radiator (cardboard please) this is to easy to overlook. Check your bolts, fan, spacer and even the neck of the waterpump. Keep us posted and good luck. That car is very beautiful!
Old 06-20-2008, 09:16 AM
Super-Experienced

Default AC Fan Belt Vibration -- Update

I removed everything down to the water pump. The pulleys are flat and true, and the water pump, being new, is tight. The 5 blade fan is not dinged, and all of the blades measure the same height from the table.

I did notice that the front face of the spacer is not perfectly flat against the fan. This makes the fan sit at an angle, depending on how the bolts are tightened.

I have another spacer coming from Thunderbird Ranch.

The only other thing that could be a factor is an out of balance fan. I don't know if I can have that checked -- does anyone know?

If it's not any of those items, then the problem could be in the A/C itself. But, it easily spins straight and true by hand.

Question:

Can someone with A/C please run their engine at idle, with the compressor engaged, and look at the fan belt to see how much vibration there is in the belt itself?

Thanks
Old 06-20-2008, 09:38 AM
Experienced

ncbird is on a distinguished road
Default fan

Bart, you can check the fan by taking a piece of dowel that fits through the center hole snugly but still allows the fan to spin freely. Put it in a vise horizontally and put the fan on it. If it has a heavy side that will rotate to the bottom. We do it with props all the time. The other thing you could do is put the pulley back on the engine with shorter bolts and with out the spacer and fan(A/C belt on). Fire the engine up cold and check it. Not having the fan on it for that short of time wont hurt a thing, just watch water temp. I doubt that is the problem though and would be curious as to why the spacer didnt fit flat. Did the nose on the spacer fit the fan correctly? I use universal spacers I get from the local parts store..not going for points. Didnt you say it only shakes when the A/C is on? If so then the belt is still running over this pulley when the clutch is disengaged so you should still have the slap.

Last edited by ncbird : 06-20-2008 at 09:44 AM.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:04 PM
Super-Experienced

Grant:

I can try to see if the Fan is balanced using a dowel. I fly RC planes, so I know what you mean about the props.

I can try running it without the fan and spacer. I'll have to get the shorter bolts to do that. Very good idea.

The nose diameter of the spacer fits perfectly on the fan with no slop. The front face of the spacer looks like it may have been crushed down on one side enough so it doesn't fit perfectly flat against the fan.

The AC belt shakes even when the AC is not engaged, BUT not very bad -- like when a belt is not tight enough (but my belt IS tight). When the AC is on, the belt shakes about 1" up and down in the center, and that's what vibrates the compressor -- scares the heck out of me.

Last edited by bcomo : 06-20-2008 at 12:37 PM.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:17 PM
Experienced

ncbird is on a distinguished road
Default need reference

Bart I think your idea of having some one else with a 430 with A/C check theirs is the best idea. This may be a common thing with this setup for some reason. We may be trying to solve a non-problem. At least if some one says theirs does not move you know you are working on a real issue. It would also be good to get a good picture of another one that doesnt flex to see if maybe there is a missing idler or something. Just ramblings.... Grant
Old 06-20-2008, 03:49 PM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Red face

Well, u will have 2 wait about 30 days for me Bart.

Anyone else??

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:39 PM
Super-Experienced

Yes -- It may be a common problem, but unless I can get a comparison from someone, I might be chasing my tail.

The 430 AC belt only goes around the compressor pulley, and the AC fan pulley.

I'm not sure how it is on a 352. But even a comparison against a 352 might give me a clue.

Anybody?