This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:31 AM
Super-Experienced

GTE427 is on a distinguished road

Bart,

I found some info on the 430cid Air Conditioning belt specification. In the AMA Specification, 60 Thunderbird, Issued 9-15-59, the specs for a 60 430 air conditioning drive belt is:

Angle of V: 36 degrees
Nominal Length (SAE): 44.24
Width: .50
Old 06-10-2008, 07:08 PM
Super-Experienced

bcomo is on a distinguished road

Ken:

Thanks very much for finding that.

The gates belt that I have now is the same Angle of V, and width. It's 1/2 inch shorter, but that wouldn't matter.

It looks like the belt vibration is from another issue, still to be found.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:48 PM
Experienced

Alan H. Tast, AIA is on a distinguished road
Default AMA Specification

I've been trying to find a copy of the AMA specifications - I had one over 20 years ago for a '60 and a '61, but various moves over the years have misplaced it. Where did you find it, and/or is it possible to arrange for a photocopy of it?
Old 06-11-2008, 07:58 AM
Super-Experienced

GTE427 is on a distinguished road

Alan,

I found this at one of the many literature dealers at Carlisle in the past. It's a reproduction , 28 pages and I would gladly send you a copy. PM your mailing address and email, if I can scan it I'll send a pdf, otherwise USPS.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:01 PM
Super-Experienced

Default I'm very frustrated

OK -- I am really frustrated on this AC belt vibration.

I put a new AC belt on this AM, using a leverage bar -- so the flex in the belt is less than 1/2 inch.

When the car runs at idle without the AC engaged, the belt still flops up and down alot between the fan and AC pulleys.

Then, when I put the AC on, the belt vibrates up and down so much that it almost looks like it wants to jump the pulley -- it's that bad untill the RPM's climb over 1500

Can someone give me a comparison by running their engine at idle and see if the AC belt vibrates that much with the AC ON?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:38 PM
Experienced

FeFranco
Cool

I'm curious, what kind of shape are all your AC pulleys? Anything on them that is barely noticeable, but enough to through off the belt a bit? A ding maybe? How are the bolts and bracket mounts?

Last edited by FeFranco : 06-12-2008 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Add another thought
Old 06-12-2008, 03:26 PM
Super-Experienced

Franco:

I'll check for any pulley imprefections and reply back.

This engine was just rebuilt, so I had a chance to handle and paint every part. The AC bracket was perfect, and the bolts are new 8 grade bolts and washers.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:20 PM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Bart do u have ALL 4 bolts on the bottom of the A/C compressor now? I spoke with my father at lunch, he says u need to tighten the the compressor down even tighter. So it sounds like u need another set of hands down there for help holding that pry bar while u tighten those lower bolts down.....

-Jon

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:57 PM
Super-Experienced

Jon:

I now have all 4 bolts on the compressor, and they are tight, with a liitle less that 1/2" flex on the belt (manual says 1/2"). Still have a fluttering belt at idle and worse with AC on.

Franco:

I checked both the AC and Fan AC pulley's. There are no imperfections on either one. And both of them track straight when they run (no side to side, or up and down movement that I can see)

What I did notice is that the fan spacer between the pulley and the fan blade wobbles, and this makes the fan wobble. I don't know if this has anything to do with it -- anyone know if fans can wobble without a problem?

Is there enough room to remove the front bolts on the fan and spacer without taking out the radiator -- in case I want to replace the spacer?
Old 06-12-2008, 06:00 PM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Yes the fan blade & spacer can be removed w/o pulling the radiator. I would recommend u slide a piece of thin cardboard or construction paper behind the radiator, otherwise u will end up with some real bloody knuckles...

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.