This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:04 PM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
The 3 angle valve job is used mainly on hi-performance motors only. It is simply what it is called. 3 different angled cuts are made on the valve's seating surface. A 3 angle cut valve gives a higher & more precise flow pattern, allowing a faster volume of air/fuel both in and out of the cylinder. Most engines have a simple 2 angle valve cut....

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:57 PM

Anders is on a distinguished road

Ah, thanks.
I like the 3-cut then
Time to rew her up then and check what´s happend.
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158
Old 05-13-2008, 11:53 PM
Administrator

byersmtrco is on a distinguished road

The 4bbl heads used on the 352 Thunderbirds did have bigger valves than the 2 bbl heads. We won't call them Interceptor heads because I don't want to open that can of worms again . . . Even though all the old time Ford guys from "the day" called the motors in the 58-60 TBirds (and the police cars) "Interceptor Motors".

Long and short of it, 300 (under rated HP) compared to 250? or something from a 2 bbl motor.

So . . . throw that combo on the bigger badder 390 and LOOK OUT !!
But that was back in the days of 100 octane gas.
This horse **** we're paying $4 a gallon was meant for a Briggs & Stratton. Keep comp ratios areound 9-1.
Poss 3rd Gen T/B owner
Old 08-26-2008, 02:03 AM
Apprentice

SwitchBlade327 is on a distinguished road

Can the intake from the 352 be used on the 390 without using the 352 heads? Every 390 I've found is a 2bbl engine, and I don't wanna have to shell out the extra money for a 4 bbl. I'll eventually put the 352 heads on the 390 I get, but I'm thinking I'll have them rebuilt first.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:43 AM
Experienced

Hawkrod is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by byersmtrco View Post
The 4bbl heads used on the 352 Thunderbirds did have bigger valves than the 2 bbl heads. We won't call them Interceptor heads because I don't want to open that can of worms again . . . Even though all the old time Ford guys from "the day" called the motors in the 58-60 TBirds (and the police cars) "Interceptor Motors".

Long and short of it, 300 (under rated HP) compared to 250? or something from a 2 bbl motor.

So . . . throw that combo on the bigger badder 390 and LOOK OUT !!
But that was back in the days of 100 octane gas.
This horse **** we're paying $4 a gallon was meant for a Briggs & Stratton. Keep comp ratios areound 9-1.
I am sorry but the valves used in 352's and 390's were the same size whether it was a 2V or a 4V. The intakes were 2.04 inches and the exhaust were 1.56 inches (1.57 inches starting in 1961) on all 352, 360, 390, 410 and 428 engines except special performance versions from 58-76. Ford did nothing different on 2V and 4V heads except on some applications they had different valve springs. Also note that non special heads used on these engines were the same for any of those engines for the year the engine was made, that is to say a 1962 352 and 390 used the exact same head or a 1958 332 and 352 used the same head or a 1967 352 and 428 used the same head. It is an old wives tale that there were 2 barrel and 4 barrel heads or that there were 352 heads and 390 heads. Now having said that, in the 60's there were special applications like the HiPo 352 and 390's 428CJ etc... that did have a special head or valve size but believe it or not, even a 66-69 GT390 did not have special heads or valve sizes! Finally, the issue of the Interceptor name, " all the old time Ford guys from "the day" called the motors in the 58-60 TBirds (and the police cars) "Interceptor Motors"." The old guys called them that because that is what Ford called them. It was a marketing tool. The Thunderbird special was a 292 or 312 so they could not call them that so when the new 332 and 352 FE engines came out they were labeled the "Interceptor" and this held true for 1958, 1959, and 1960. In 1961 the name Thunderbird Special was applied to the new 390. The Police Interceptor was new for 1964 I think (maybe 63, my brain is fuzzy and I am too tired to check!). Hawkrod

Ford sales literature:

Old 08-26-2008, 02:48 AM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwitchBlade327 View Post
Can the intake from the 352 be used on the 390 without using the 352 heads? Every 390 I've found is a 2bbl engine, and I don't wanna have to shell out the extra money for a 4 bbl. I'll eventually put the 352 heads on the 390 I get, but I'm thinking I'll have them rebuilt first.
Yes, they are interchangeable. Ford did change the port sizes ion the heads in 67 but even after they changed to a smaller port in the head they still had the bigger ports in the intakes! It actually helps with emissions and low end power due to the Bernoulli's principle. Hawkrod
Old 08-26-2008, 07:10 AM
KULTULZ

From 1958 FORD SHOP MANUAL-

1958 BIRD SALES BROCHURE-

352CI "Interceptor" THUNDERBIRD SPECIAL V8

1959 BIRD SALES BROCHURE-

THUNDERBIRD 352 SPECIAL V8

1960 BIRD SALES BROCHURE-

THNDERBIRD 352 SPECIAL V8
Old 08-26-2008, 01:32 PM
Experienced

Thanks Kultulz, I did not know they called it an "Interceptor Thunderbird Special". I have never seen that referenced before and I don't spend much time with the shop manual I hadn't stumbled accross that. In 61 it is just "Thunderbird Special" as they dropped the Interceptor name. Justa note for others reading this, that chart shows "Police Interceptor" but note that it is not an engine but a car model. The Police Interceptor engine option did not come out until 62 (I finally looked it up!). A car with a Police Interceptor engine does not have to actually be a police car but the serial number will have a P in the 5th position. From 62-65 the P code was a 330 HP 390. Starting in 66 and going until 70 the P code was a 428 (there were a couple of different version, 66 even had solid lifters!). In 71 the 429 became the P code. Hawkrod
Old 08-26-2008, 03:42 PM

Anders is on a distinguished road

With Kultulz and Hawkrod on the site, it feels like I have all the expertise in the world around, so please let me just ask if you have any interesting info about these numbers, found on the manifold: C4SE9425A and something that was close to these numbers, but up-side-down: 4A2:

1964 Engine I understand, but is there more to know?
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158
Old 08-26-2008, 04:23 PM
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Myrberg View Post

... so please let me just ask if you have any interesting info about these numbers, found on the manifold: C4SE9425A and something that was close to these numbers, but up-side-down: 4A2:

1964 Engine I understand, but is there more to know?
C4SE 9425-A is a Casting I.D. No. to identify the part, in this instance 1964 BIRD Exhaust Manifold-LH. 4A2 is the actual casting date.

http://www.bzerob1.com/tech2/fordpn.html