This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:35 AM
Apprentice

shafe is on a distinguished road
Default '60 convertable?

hey all, am trying to install a ragtop on my bird which used to be a hardtop about 35 years ago....i have all [i think] of the parts and pieces i need but.....i would really like to see a couple of good pictures of the inside with the top up....could someone please email me a pic or two of their convertable from the inside? i'd be more than happy to compensate for your time and effort, i have been all over the net and can't find one pic from the inside...

just a pic of the back folding mechanism on either side and one of the # 3 and 2 bows

thanks a million shafe

shafeww@hotmail.com
Old 04-24-2008, 01:18 AM
Administrator

byersmtrco is on a distinguished road
Cool

I can. It'll be Friday though. From the inside of the car huh?
Your car (used to be) a hardtop? You know the bodies are different right. The underpan is beefed up to accomidate no roof.

Apples n' oranges
Poss 3rd Gen T/B owner
Old 04-24-2008, 08:43 AM
Apprentice

Thumbs up yep i am aware of the body diff

thanks....this is just an old mans project...i bought the car in 71 for 100.00..had a crunched left front fender....had it fixed and painted and have been playing with it ever since...got drunk about two weeks after i bought it and decided i wanted a convertable, so on a sunday a.m. with a hammer and chisel [and a 6 pack] i cut the top off....had a little body work done and have had a removable hard top ever since....anyway, i have devised a way to put a ragtop on just for the longer runs, in case i get caught in the rain....so it's just a toy and an old friend that's been through 4 wives and 2 bancruptcies......how would you ever get rid of something like that?

i want to thank you very much for the pics, they will help a lot, if you like, i'll get a few pics after i get the ragtop on and send them to you....thanks again shafe...you can email me direct at shafeww@hotmail.com with the pics.......
shafe
Old 04-24-2008, 09:51 AM
Apprentice

Thumbs up pics!

john, what i really need pics of is the fabric sleeves that holds bow 2 and 3 in place, i need to see how far down the pads that protect the edges goes, if it shows... these pads go from bow 1 to bow 4 down the outside edges of the frame. they may show and they may not, just get what you can,,, i do know they need to be folded over the foam that prtects the edges of the top, i just don't know exactly where to place them to start. i have a 1960 body,trim and sealant assembly manual from jim olson. which has helped immensely but has absolutely the worst diagrams i have ever tried to figure out...but then i'm not an upholsterer, which may be half the problem...
the local upholstry shop here says there is no way he would take on a project of this magnitude and that even if he did it would cost me thousands to get it right...i'm retired and on a s.s. which doesn't allow me that kind of spending.....anyway thanks again for responding, i'm sure that any pics you send will be very helpful shafe
Old 04-24-2008, 09:54 AM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Smile

Well sir, we would like to see u post some pics of ur hardtop conv't on here as well. I'd like to see ow u fab'd that removable hardtop....

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:58 AM
Apprentice

Smile pics

me too! lol as soon as i figure this old bird out, i'll be more than happy to post pics,,,right now i need a couple of sticks of c-4 to make some minor adjustments shafe
Old 04-24-2008, 12:12 PM
El Guapo and La Chiquita

El Guapo is on a distinguished road

Where will the top go when its down?The trunk swings the wrong way.Are you reversing the swing of the trunk?These tops are fairly heavy thats why they are hydraulically ran.The 60 is more complex that the 58 or 59.
Will your top sit on top of the trunk?
I can sen pix of my 59 if you need.
Would love to see pix of your project.
Elvira's 58 was a hard top chopped off,but I dont think it had a soft top for it.

What kind of beer was that?Must have been a back to something more powerfull!!!

C4's wont fit ..C6's will...just a joke!

Keepin it square!
El Guapo out!

Last edited by El Guapo : 04-24-2008 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:30 PM
Experienced

ncbird is on a distinguished road
Default top

shafe, do you have a factory convertible frame that you are trying to graft to the car or are you trying to fabricate something to take its place? EG makes and excellent point as to where it will store.
If it doesnt have to store I think a padded soft top ala the old Carson tops that were poplular in the 50's would be very cool
If you are interested in a convertible top to work from I have a brand new black one still in the box with the pads I will sell you and save you some bucks. Grant
Old 04-24-2008, 06:57 PM
Super-Experienced

tbirds8 is on a distinguished road

THIS SOUNDS REAL INTERESTING. At least we still have the car!
Old 04-25-2008, 09:08 AM
Experienced

ncbird is on a distinguished road
Default Carson top

Here is a two part how to on building a carson top. It is a great custom touch and I think could be very cool on a bird. I grew up around such things...yes I am that old...my brother had chopped mercs and a 35 ford phaeton with a real "carson top" by carson.

http://www.streetrodderweb.com/tech/...all/index.html

http://www.streetrodderweb.com/tech/...t_2/index.html