This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:09 PM

Anders is on a distinguished road
Default Brake lights

Hi again guys,
Need some advice how to make my brake lights work.
The real light works. So does the indicators, and I beleve this is the same bulb as the brake. Even the "back-up lights" work.

On the front of the brake cylinder, there is two wires connected. But they kind of disapear inte the firewall together with plenty of other wires, so to find out witch one it is from the inside, seems quite tough...
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158
Old 04-07-2008, 04:31 PM
Super-Experienced

GTE427 is on a distinguished road

Search this site as others have posted copies or links to wiring diagrams. I printed one from the tocmp.com website for the 59 TBird. This diagram shows the wire colors, the brake switch and a brake switch relay. Also shown is the connections to the headlight switch and the turn signal switch. Believe this site includes the 58 diagram as well.

This diagram isn't complete for all acessories, but does cover the stop light circuit.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:06 PM
Experienced

ncbird is on a distinguished road
Default brake light switch

Anders have you checked the wires at the brake light switch to see if you have power? Just pull the wires off the switch at the master cylinder and with a test light check both wires to see if you have power. The one with the 12 volts on it will be the one from the inside and the other goes to the lights. If you do have power short between the two wires and see if the brake lights work. If they do you probably have a bad brake light switch. If you dont have power there then you know you either have a fuse problem or something else keeping you from getting 12 volts to the switch. If you have power and shorting them does not make the brake iights work then you have an open between the switch and the rear of the car and you know the color of the wire you are hunting. Hope this a little help. Grant

PS make sure you have the ignition on....seen that slow up some trouble shooting...LOL

Last edited by ncbird : 04-07-2008 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:16 PM
Experienced

LuckyJay is on a distinguished road

If you do not have 12V at the stop light switch as previously described, then most likely the fuse is blown. It is under the dash near the ignition and headlight switches. I think it is a 14 amp in line fuse. It is not uncommon for the stop light fuse to short to ground internally and pop the fuse. I wasted 2 fuses figuring that out. So you could check the stop light switch for continuity to ground before hand. If so, replace the stop switch as well.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:20 AM

Default Red alert

I picked up the diagram from www.tocmp.com web, and tryed to find my routs with adding some colour to it.
But I am just getting more confused as the ī58 have a different wire diagram than the ī59&ī60.
Early models, as shown here , have stoplights on all lamps ( Nice! ), but I donīt have that.
So I canīt follow these as my stop-ligt-switch have 2 green cables, but I canīt figure out how they are connected to the rear lamps. Here, they continue through the switch and change colour to Yellow and Red.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T-Bird-Wires_close-up.jpg (141.8 KB, 68 views)

Last edited by Anders : 04-15-2008 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:52 AM
Super-Experienced

From what you wrote, I'd guess that one green wire is (+) from the headlight or turn signal switch, the second green runs to the tail lights. Judging from the diagram and how your car is wired, your car doesn't have the brake light relay. If you look at the diagram, it states how to bypass the relay by cutting and splicing wires, possible some cars weren't so equipped .

With a volt meter, check for voltage at one of the green wires, if good, jumper from that wire to the second green and the lights should be lit. If not, switch is bad. Not sure if the brake-light circuit runs thru the ignition switch (thinking not), so consider this when testing for voltage and also try with ignition switch set to run.

If no voltage is at either wire, find a 12+ volt supply on the car (battery terminal is easy) and touch to either wire. Hopefully one wire will lite the brake lights. The other is from the dash switch and is the problem.

If all fails, time for an ohm-meter or start checking grounds. Maybe critters chewed some wires.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:06 PM

Back from work, I dived deep down and found out that I have the wireing from the "inner" rear lights ( green / orange & Orange / blue ) as well as from the "outer" ( Green ) , and they disapear into the car, through the center consol. But then they took a route that I canīt follow as I canīt get my head up behind the brake pedal and the dash.... So, I canīt see whatīs conected, and where....
Looking at the diagram, I canīt see that there is any fuse involved here either, so Iīm frustrated as h*ll.
Donīt realy know how the "Directional signal switch" look like either, so Itīs tough to sort this out.
Would be nice to know how the "Stop relay" on the "first cars" look like as well, and where that little bastard should be, if, it might be there, somewhere.....

Last edited by Anders : 04-15-2008 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:20 PM
El Guapo and La Chiquita

El Guapo is on a distinguished road

Is what this diagram shows is the stoplights are triggered from 2 different fuses.1 constant hot(from the light switch) and 1 from( key on) the turn signals that override the stoplights(outboard) to turn right or left.The relay recieves both signals and dosent cross the circuits(so it wont backfeed).
The relay needs to stay in place or you can splice your colum feeder into the yellow from the ignition(this will make your colum/turn signals constant hot) or splice your brake switch to the blue feeder(making inboard brakes lts. w/key on).
The best solution is to install a 2 to 1 relay. 1ckt.from the turn signal common and 1 from the brake switch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Myrberg View Post
I picked up the diagram from www.tocmp.com web, and tryed to find my routs with adding some colour to it.
But I am just getting more confused as the ī58 have a different wire diagram than the ī59&ī60.
Early models, as shown here , have stoplights on all lamps ( Nice! ), but I donīt have that.
So I canīt follow these as my stop-ligt-switch have 2 green cables, but I canīt figure out how they are connected to the rear lamps. Here, they continue through the switch and change colour to Yellow and Red.

Keepin it square!
El Guapo out!
Old 04-15-2008, 02:47 PM

I found 2 fuses under the dash. Booth are OK. One was found in a black holder, with a VERY hard spring. I was happy when I manage to get it back. The other fuse was in a "clear" plasic holder.
Laying down under the dash, on my back, trying to see and reach things, is something like bending a ball.....
My English is realy starting to give me problems when we heading technical items, and to make thing worse, I am on the limit to be stupid when it comes to Electric stuff in the first place....

Last edited by Anders : 04-15-2008 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:45 PM
Super-Experienced

The turn signal switch is in the steering column, at the base of the column you'll see several 'bullet connectors', these are the connectors for the turn signals and horn in the column. Looking at the colorized diagram you attached, notice the seven rectangles above the turn signal switch, those are the bullet connectors I'm refering to.

Test the brake switch first, it's the easiest device in he circuit to access, once that's ruled out you can look under the dash. Wish I could direct you to the relay as that would be the next device to check before tracing the wiring.

I've seen several dash wiring harnesses and they've become very brittle, handle this harness as little as possible, it's fragile. i've also broken the bullet connectors as they don't want to pull apart after all these years. Use caution.

I'd be interested to know where the brake light relay is located also, anyone else locate this yet?