This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:06 PM
Apprentice

boyar
Default RE: 1960 TBIRD- WHAT ENGINE??

Hi Steve!

Answers hopefully to your questions.

Is the generator bolted to the front mount and adjusting bracket and is the back of the generator bolted to the block? YES IT IS!

Does the crank pulley and fan pulley line up OK? I HAVE IT OFF THE CAR BUT I BELIEVE IT DOES.

THE FAN PULLEY IS SHORT AND FLAT WITH 3 GROOVE FOR BELTS. It's about 9 " in depth.

I SAY THE P/S BRACKET IS ABOUT 1/4" THK AND WIDTH IS 7 3/4 " AND ABOUT 13 1/2" LONG. (I measure it.) Though I see what you're talking about cause I see one in Larry's Thunderbird catalog on Pg 27.

The crank Pulley has two grooves. One for the power steering pump & one for the generator. The P/S belt just connects to the crabkcase pulley. The generator belt loops around the fan pulley and the crankcase pulley.

P/S pump number there was a tag for it. the number is:

HBA-AH-1
II F
4M 18 B

So right now I still up in the air as to which pump to order because of the bracket problem and alignment.

However, the generator bracket, (the top front with the u in it) was cracked in half at the lower end where it bolts into the engine block. I am having that welded and will pick that up Wednesday.

Jack (bewilder in Naperville, Il.)

Old 02-15-2005, 06:40 AM
Webmaster

Alexander is on a distinguished road

All that casting number C4AE tells is that the engine is from 1964. It is probably a 390, but it still could be a 352 or 427. I there a letter after that casting number?

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top
Old 02-15-2005, 08:07 AM
Apprentice

boyar

HI Alexander!

Thanks again. I didn't see one, but I'll try again after work if it doesn't snow today. The car is now outside. (Covered of course.)

Take care!

Jack
Old 02-15-2005, 10:19 AM
Apprentice

boyar

Hi Alexander!

Just found something interesting that might help determine that it's a 390 or not. As I was going thru bills that the previous owner gave me, I saw this small bill from some auto salvage yard in Texas. On the bill it says "390 exhaust manifold". Now, I don't know if the manifolds are swapable between a 352 & a 390. Do you??

Thanks again!

Old 02-15-2005, 03:42 PM
Experienced

1960Bird is on a distinguished road

I am pretty sure that the exhaust manifolds are the same for 352-390. I can not tell what you have for sure. I am pretty sure that it is a newer engine set up. As far as cubic inch's, you will have to check the stroke. I do not understand how your generator could be out of alignment if it is bolted to the block, as that combined with the length of the generator would set the distance to match the crank pulley. I am assuming that you have the old style std. generator??? If not it's a whole new ball game. Perhaps you could post some photos, someone will be able to figure it out.

Steve

1960 HT 390, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Shorty Headers, 2-1/2" Exhaust and 3.70 Rear Gears
Old 02-15-2005, 04:08 PM
Webmaster

The exhaust manifolds are interchangable on the 390 and 352 FE.

I really should say can be interchangable, since there were bolt location changes for the manifolds through the design evolution of the FE & FT engines.

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top
Old 02-17-2005, 03:15 PM
Apprentice

boyar

Hi Alexander!

Still trying to get this engine Question to bed. I do believe I have a 64 Tbird 390? Why, I saw 64 thru 66 Tbird engines & mine matches the 64. The 65 & 66 have their oil filler on the drv side in the valve cover, mine is on the block on the psgr side. However, the P/S pump is definetely from a 65-66, this may explain the misalignment problem.

Question, if this is true, could I use the 64 P/S pump? Are the hose fittings the same? I am not sure of the bracket situation. I do have a nice pix of my engine and of a 64 & 66 if I can send it too you. Any thoughts???

Thanks- Jack
Old 02-17-2005, 04:17 PM
Webmaster

You can e-mail me the pictures webmaster@squarebirds.org .

The later power steering pumps are not much different than the Squarebird pumps. The hose endings might be different, but they still can be adpated for use.

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top
Old 02-18-2005, 11:59 AM
Webmaster

These are pictures of Jack's 1960 T-Bird with the probable 390 engine.

http://squarebirds.org/images/60tbird-390.jpg

http://squarebirds.org/images/60tbird-390-1.jpg

http://squarebirds.org/images/60tbird-390-2.jpg

This a 1964 T-Bird 390 engine compartment:
http://squarebirds.org/images/64tbird-390.jpg

This a 1966 T-Bird 390 engine compartment:
http://squarebirds.org/images/66tbird-390.jpg

As you can see the style of power pumps changed over the years.

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top
Old 02-18-2005, 12:11 PM
Webmaster

I think one of the problems you have is that you have what looks like a 1958-59 A/C type fan pulley. This pulley has a space between two pulleys. Do you have two or three pullies on the crankshaft? I don't think the later power steering pumps will align with this set-up.

I believe I have photos of the fan belt arrangement for 1959 and 1960 Thunderbirds on my computer at home. I will post them when I find it.

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top