This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:57 AM
Apprentice

boyar
Default 1960 TBIRD- WHAT ENGINE??

Hi! I been on the board before when I bought my 60 T-Bird with a sunroof in Nov 2004. My Pwr Str started to leak and now I am noticing that the PWR Str is for a 64-66 T-Bird. (long fill neck) Also the generator is out of align. (as well as the pwr str.) On Further investigation I think I have a C-6 Transmission instead of cruise-O-matic. (Obviously my first ford buy.)

Question? Where do I find the casting number on the block to determine the engine I have? ALso the trans. I truly believe it's a 1964 390 engine. Also if it's a 390 where to I search for the correct brackets for the Str Pump & Generator? Can I install a alternaor on this now? Sorry about all the questions.

I am just very confused.

Thanks guys!:(
Old 02-13-2005, 11:49 AM
Webmaster

Alexander is on a distinguished road
Default RE: 1960 TBIRD- WHAT ENGINE??

The casting number of the engine is on the side of the block near the engine mounts.

The 390 is not any different than the 352 externally. The original brackets from the 1960 Thunderbird should fit.

You can put an alternator in. Several suppliers make an alternator bracket for these cars. http://www-link.com/cgi-bin/odbic.ex...lientno=1681.0

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top
Old 02-13-2005, 12:12 PM
Apprentice

boyar

Thanks Alexander.
That was quite helpful. I just have to figure out why the belts don't align with the pulleys on the flywheel and water pump. I'll also check out the site on the alternator. Love this site. It so helpful for us TBIRD fantactics.

Take care!

:D
Old 02-13-2005, 09:47 PM
Experienced

1960Bird is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the Forum!

The only way to confirm for sure that it is a 390 is the stroke. The 390 has 3.78" the 352 is 3.50". You can measure this by removing a spark plug and putting a clothes hanger wire against the top of the piston. turn the engine over by hand till the wire is all the way down...put a mark on the wire, this will signify the bottom of the stroke. Then turn the engine over by hand till the piston is all the way up. Mark the wire again. The distance between the two marks is your stroke. It is easiest if two people do this, one holding the wire one turning the engine over. What makes you think you have a 390? I have a rebuilt 1961 390 in my 60, looks just like a 352,also, most of the blocks have 352 cast on them, even if they are 390's. If I remember correctly the water pumps on the newer engines are different. This may cause the alignment problem with the stock generator brackets.

Steve

1960 HT 390, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Shorty Headers, 2-1/2" Exhaust and 3.70 Rear Gears
Old 02-13-2005, 11:20 PM
Apprentice

boyar

Hi Steve!

Thanks for replying! I guess I am thinking it's not a 352 becuase 1. the Power steering pump has the long filler neck that comes from a 64-66 T-bird and 2, because of the bad alignment of both parts to the pulleys. (The Pwr Str Pump & the generator) Actually the generator is in worst alignment then the pump because it squeals something awful.

I also saw a bill I pulled out from two owners ago that said he rebuilt a C-6 trans.

Anyway, if it is a 352, which I hope it is, how do I solve this alignment problem. Just to give you an idea, the pump and generator are behind the crank shaft pulley by (estimate- 3/4 to 1 1/2" at least)

Thanks for the tip on the 352 vs 390, I see if I can get my neighbor to help me out on that one on the weekend.

Take care! I really love the car, and want to get it going. :)
Old 02-13-2005, 11:37 PM
Administrator

byersmtrco is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1960 Tbird- What Engine??

My 60 has a 390. And the block says 352 right on it. Mine however has the 352 Interceptor heads, int & exh manifolds. It also has all the stock 1960 linkage, brackets, pulleys, belts and etc. So whatever you have, best bet is get all the matching brkts pulleys and hardware. that way everything lines up. There is a kit to install a GM alternator (ugly brkts though). The alt in the kit is a low output though. Not even 50 amps. So it's not a great upgrade from the stk generator. I've had little or no generator problems, so I can't see changing over.

My one question for the evening is, has anyone installed a hvy duty four row radiator in any of their early Fords? I'm wondering if that helped.

John Byers

________
Lesbian Asslicking

Last edited by byersmtrco : 04-05-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:40 AM
Apprentice

boyar

Hi John!

Thanks for the reply. Well I have to see what it is but I know it's either a 390 or 352. The thing that leans me to the 390 is that the PWr Str pump is from a 64-66 Tbird. Now, whether those parts are interchangable I don't know. Any clue???

I though I saw that the pulley brackets where the same up to 1966. Hopefully someone might correct me on that delusion also.

Well, time, patience and help from you guys & gals will help solve this one.

Still love the car!!!!

Thanks- Jack;)
Old 02-14-2005, 12:00 PM
Experienced

1960Bird is on a distinguished road

I am not familiar with the newer power steering pumps, but I can not understand being that much out of alignment. Is the generator bolted to the front mount and adjusting bracket and is the back of the generator bolted to the block? Does the crank pulley and fan pulley line up OK? What does the fan pulley look like, is it long and tapered or short and flat? What does the power steering pump bracket look like. On the Squarebirds, the PS bracket is a piece of steel that is about 1/2 inch thick and about 2 or 2 1/2 wide with two 45 degree bends in it. Does the crank pulley have two or one grooves in it. If it has two groves it, it was originally set up for air conditioning. If this is the case you may just be in the wrong groove. If you can check these things out,perhaps someone can figure this out.

Steve

1960 HT 390, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Shorty Headers, 2-1/2" Exhaust and 3.70 Rear Gears
Old 02-14-2005, 12:49 PM
Apprentice

boyar

Thanks Steve!

I am taking a half day off today and I am crawling under the car to check this out. It baffles me too. I had a 58 & 64 pontiac and never seen anything like this so, I am hoping it's something easy. Having you expertise behind me, gives me alot of ideas and things to look for, otherwise I be in big time trouble. So again, thanks for your time and your help. I really appreciate it! Also, I will let you know the solution when I determine it, so that others after me, will have some info!

Old 02-14-2005, 06:14 PM
Apprentice

boyar

Hi Alexander!

Well I was under there and the number by the engine mounts on the block were- "C4AF" or the last could of been "E". There was a number right below it but I could barely make it out it could of been "O15A".
(Not sure)

Also the number off the P/S pump was;
HBA-AH-1
II F
4M 18 B

The motor mount number was C6SZ-6038

Does this give any clue to the engine type? 352 or 390?

Thanks
Jack
;)