This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 04-15-2003, 10:14 PM

coalchamber998
Default generator to alternator conversion problems

Hello everyone, another question about the Bird. I did the generator to alternator conversion a while back and I've been having problems ever since. It won't charge! I can go 2-5 days and the battery will be dead. I'm getting tired of switching batteries! I've heard about 10 different ways to wire the alternator up and none of them have worked so far. I've heard I need grounding straps (have two), different ways to wire it, etc. If anyone's done this conversion, could you give me a picture of your setup so I can get mine right. If no picture, could you describe it? I would appreciate it very much! Arthur Ash
Old 04-16-2003, 08:20 AM
Webmaster

Alexander is on a distinguished road
Default RE: generator to alternator conversion problems

I bought an alternator to put in a Squarebird, but have never have done it.

Perhaps this article on a 1956 Ford alternator conversion will be helpful to you: http://www.ranchwagon.com/tech/alt/alt.htm .

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top
Old 04-19-2003, 09:18 AM
Experienced

Rockin Kev is on a distinguished road
Default RE: generator to alternator conversion problems

Dear Aurther
I too did this conversion and have found the same problem!!!. I have been told that the alternator is not man enough to do the job and will make a small drain on the battery. I have been told that the battery will not start to recharge untill it hits 14 volts from the alternator. The volt meter only reads 13.45 volts and no more so yes the alternator is doing its job but not topping up the battery.
The alternator is from one of our Jags so the power ratio was fine according to records. The battery was install new( interstate batteries)when i purchase my TBird two year ago before being shipped to England. So my new electrician has rebuilt my old generator and i have a new regulator box so its being put back to original.
The only he said to me is some cars convert well to a alternator and some dont,yours dont!.
I know this may sound like no help but iam fead-up changing batteries.
Kev 60 Sunroof.