This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:08 AM
Experienced

saverio is on a distinguished road
Question 60 with GO POWER

390 engine

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My fine feathered friends,
Where can I find information for the 390 engine. I just found one under my hood.
thanks,
sal

60 T BD

Thunderbird Registry # 33126 - VTCI # 11138- CTCI #02521
Old 04-15-2008, 02:57 AM

Anders is on a distinguished road

There was one in my ī58 as well....
But "they" drilled it up to 401.
But it sure roar nice.
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158
Old 04-15-2008, 09:26 AM
Experienced

ncbird is on a distinguished road
Default Engine

Sal, just curious as to how you identified it as a 390? The externals of a 352, 360, 390 etc are basically all the same. The only true way is to check the stroke? if you give me more info I can aim you at the info you are seeking. Grant
Old 04-15-2008, 12:25 PM
Experienced

saverio is on a distinguished road

Grant,
I was having an A/C installed and the pulley's were wrong. My mechanic checked the motor number he says and then told me it was a 390. I didn't know.
thanks for the help.
sal

60 T BD

Thunderbird Registry # 33126 - VTCI # 11138- CTCI #02521
Old 04-15-2008, 12:47 PM
Experienced

Default good to know

I only ask because I have learned that it is difficult to know what you have just by the numbers. A 360 and a 390 can have the same block number. I have both sitting side by side in my storage unit and you cant tell the difference.
I am going through the same exercise of adding A/C and wrestling with pulleys. My car had the long style Water Pump that is correct for the 60 352 and I had to change to the short pump and later pulleys. See the Pic I attached. The pulleys all end up putting the belts in the same spot but are different for the two water pumps. Where did you get the bracket and pulleys? As I remember yours is an original A/C car isnt it? I do have several pulleys now...if you need to make changes maybe I can save you some grief. Grant

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/h...ncoming261.jpg
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/h...ncoming263.jpg
Old 04-15-2008, 01:27 PM
El Guapo and La Chiquita

El Guapo is on a distinguished road

The 390 can be identified by the # on the block,just below the spark-plugs on the passenger side.
head #'s are between the 2 inside plugs.
I have a book with all FE #'s and I can tell you year,performance etc.Or you can google them as well.

Keepin it square!
El Guapo out!
Old 04-15-2008, 02:17 PM
Experienced

Default Engine numbers

The numbers will certainly get you close and let you know when the engine was manufactured. Look at the attached engine id list and read the FYI at the top and look at the c4ae or the c5ae, you can see it could be several different displacements. That is why the "experts" would tell you the only way to be Certain is to check the stroke. The Fe forum is a great place to learn about our engines and I bow to their experience. But with that all said they all used the same short water pump after 1960 and the pulleys should interchange.

http://www.fordification.com/FEcasting-numbers.htm
Old 04-16-2008, 02:34 AM

Hmmmm....
My number is: C4SE9425A. ( 1964 )
But the list donīt have a "S" after any with a "4".
Only after one with a "3". ( 1963 )

My luck.... It donīt excist, except for in my car....

Btw, @El Guapo: Love your matt black ī59. Looks like a real Hot Rod!
Old 04-16-2008, 08:48 AM
Experienced

Default Intake manifold

Anders, my reference shows your number to be an intake manifold for a 64 bird. Is that where you got the number off the top of the intake? Get me the head numbers and I will check them also. I suspect if yours is 401 and has been punched it was a 64 390 bored 30 over. Do you have any idea what the compression is? Do you have to run premium to keep it from knocking? Unless it is really a 410 which is a 390 with a 428 crank and rods. Grant
Old 04-16-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbird View Post
Anders, my reference shows your number to be an intake manifold for a 64 bird. Is that where you got the number off the top of the intake? Get me the head numbers and I will check them also. I suspect if yours is 401 and has been punched it was a 64 390 bored 30 over. Do you have any idea what the compression is? Do you have to run premium to keep it from knocking? Unless it is really a 410 which is a 390 with a 428 crank and rods. Grant
Yes, I found this number on the manifold.
I have papers and reciept on the Engine, and it says 390 and also a full rebuild of the engine 4 years ago, taken up to 401. I will check compression and other stuff as soon as I get home tonite.
I run on unleaded premium gas, so itīs kind of a environmently friendly engine as well