This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:13 PM
Experienced

Gold Bird is on a distinguished road
Default Tire size suggestion

I have been looking at new tires for the 60 and thought I had the perfect size, 225 75 14. Unfortunately Diamond back tires no longer makes them, they have a 215 75 14. I noticed Coker has a 225 70 14, looks like it might work too. Would a 70 series fit our cars? My existing tires are 215 75 14 and they look small and narrow, I am sure they are wider than the original bias ply though. Do you think the 225 70 14 would be a good choice or should I go with the 215 again? Thanks for the help.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:16 PM
Moderator / Administrator

Dan Leavens is on a distinguished road
Cool Tire Size

Gold Bird this subject has been discussed several times over the years, on this site. To view and ultimately help you, with your choice go to the search button on the home page. When open, type in tires or tire size and hit locate. This will bring up all the threads/ posts that the members recommended. I personally have Coker 215 75 R14 on my 58 HT and they ride very nice.

Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
Old 02-05-2008, 01:28 AM
Super-Experienced

dgs is on a distinguished road

Tire sizes are fairly easy to read, once you know that the numbers mean. The first number (215 or 225) is the overall width in millimeters. The next number is the aspect ratio. This is the height of the sidewall as a percentage of the width 70 is 70%, 75 is 75%, etc. From what I can gather, the old bias plys were either 78 or 80 aspect ratio. The last number, of course, is the wheel diameter in inches.

With that info, you can do the math and figure out what approximate size any tire is. The easier way is to go to Discount Tire's web site and use their tire calculator.

Use 205 85 14 and you get the approximate dims that Coker shows for the 8.00-14. To get the approximate dims that Coker shows for the optional 8.50-14, use 212 85 14.

The calculator will tell you the dimensions of each tire and what your speed will be when your speedometer reads 65 MPH.

Comparing to the 8.00-14, the 215 75 is about 2.2 MPH slow and 1.0" smaller (1/2" lower to the ground) and the 225 70 is 3.1 MPH slower and 1.32" smaller (over 5/8" lower). Compare to the 8.50-14 and it gets worse. I don't think there's any way to know what tires your car came with originally.

You're right, the 225 75 14 is only 1.1 MPH slower and .46" smaller (less than 1/4" lower).

Between the 215 75 and the 225 70, get the 215's.

Last edited by dgs : 02-05-2008 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Add link
Old 02-05-2008, 11:11 AM
Experienced

Thanks for the info, I was hoping to get a slightly wider tire, but looks like the 215-75 is the best overall fit. Interesting on the price comparison between Coker and Diamond Back. Coker lists their tire at $190 and Diamond back has the same size for $159. I think they are both the same tire manufacture too, BF Goodrich?
Old 02-06-2008, 08:42 AM

tbrd60 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have 225/75-14" tires from coker. They look good on my car.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:11 AM
Administrator

byersmtrco is on a distinguished road

That is correct. the stock wheels are narrow. 5" or 5.5" ?
The widest you would want to go with those is 215's. Pref 75 series to get some height out of em.

Another option is (and I know you want to keep your car all orig) is to go to a wider 14" wheel. Then you could run a 225/75/14 and have some meat on the road, throw your stock h/caps on there and look all orig.

I like how the car rides and drives WAY better w/the 15's on there. As I've stated on other posts, I am sketchy about the wire wheels. I had got them with the understanding they are sealed and could be run tubeless. What a crock of bull that is. I have tubes in all four. Every one of those sick things leaked. Some would go flat in two or three days. Others would lose 5 lbs per week. I love the wire wheels on there, but I worry about tubes and blowouts. When we go out in that car, it's not for parade duty. We're usually hookin & cookin.

So we'll see what winds up on there. I can't decide.
Poss 3rd Gen T/B owner
Old 02-08-2008, 11:32 AM
Super-Experienced

RustyNCa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by byersmtrco View Post
That is correct. the stock wheels are narrow. 5" or 5.5" ?
The widest you would want to go with those is 215's. Pref 75 series to get some height out of em.

So we'll see what winds up on there. I can't decide.
Yeah, when I started looking at going bigger on the 65, I learned it had only 15x5" rims. I wasn't feeling the 225x75s, I now have 7" for the front and 8" for the car and am going to run 245x60 up front and 255x60 in the rear.

I am thinking it will look really good with the whitewalls and the factory caps on the car and the wide tires will look mean but subtle.

When I get the DB tires on the car, I will post up some photos for opinions.... Currently working on getting the rear of the car lowered a bit.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:16 PM
Experienced

Well, just ordered new tires from Diamond Back, 215 75-14s. After talking to them he too said that is the best size for the stock rim. I also was impressed about their product after he explained how they are made. I will post some pictures when they are on, thanks to all for the input!
Old 02-09-2008, 03:20 AM
Experienced

FeFranco

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyNCa View Post
I now have 7" for the front and 8" for the car and am going to run 245x60 up front and 255x60 in the rear. .Rusty, I have 265/50/15's on the rear of my '60. Unfortunately my backspacing (3 3/4") wasn't enough so I have clearance issues around turns. Double check your backspacing

Currently working on getting the rear of the car lowered a bit.

What are you using to lower the rear end, blocks?
Old 02-11-2008, 06:18 PM

tbrd60 is an unknown quantity at this point

I got 14x7" wheels and put 225-75 tires on. The car rides great.