This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:20 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Update On The Restoration Work On My '59 "Yellow Rose"

Thanks, Bart, for providing information on the CVR unit on my '59. It appears that the CVR in it went south, sometime prior to me buying it, but it did not take out the gauges. Putting a new CVR unit in brought the fuel and temperature gauges to life it looks like. We tested them with 6V and they indicated movement. At first we were getting 12V into the CVR and 12V out as we tested it without the gauges hooked up. Then Bart reminded us that you have to have the CVR unit grounded. As soon as we did that, we got 12V in and 6V out to the gauges. It actually fluctuates between 6V and 8V, but we were told that was normal.

When the CVR unit that was in there went out, the previous owner(s) apparently bypassed it, put in a mechanical fuel and temperature gauge instead of replacing the CVR. We fixed all that, disconnecting those gauges and hooking the CVR to the original gauges again. We think the fuel sending unit in the gas tank might be out though. That is something we will have to look into. Also, there is no temperature sensor or sending unit on the engine block, and no wiring to the temperature gauge. It looks like someone took it off. We will put one on, and wire it up to the gauge this coming weekend. Hopefully, that will take care of that problem.

The clock does not work, and that is not related to any CVR problem that I know of. We will want to get into that area as soon as we can and see why it is not working. If necessary, I will have it rebuilt or replaced.

Slowly, but surely, we are fixing things that have gone out on this Bird. If anyone has any comments as to what to look for working in these areas, please let me know.

If anyone has extra rear semi-circular extension pieces that go around the left and right tail lights, please let me know. I thought I had a set of them locked up, but lost out on those today. I just got the bars that go across the top of the tail lights. So I need the rest of the set so I can complete the rear part of the external dress up kit. I am working on getting the headlight covers. I have the other components. I know I can get them from the dealers, but they are costly.

In a week or two, or so, I hope to have this Bird out driving. The brakes have been fixed, the detent and shifting problems have been fixed. I am glad to get rid of the generator and get a good alternator in place of it. It seems to be working fine.

Anything you can suggest in trouble shooting this Bird is appreciated. There is a great wealth of knowledge here. Thanks, Guys! Ray ~ Yellow Rose
Old 02-03-2008, 09:28 AM
Super-Experienced

TChicken is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel sending unit

Ray the fuel sending unit in the gas tank is notorious for having ground probs.Remove the ground wire and sand the area down as well as the wire and try it again.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:21 AM

Good Morning, George!

Thank you very much for that information. We will do that and see if that fixes the problem. It beats taking the gas tank off and replacing the unit! I hope that works and will let ya'll know when we get to that. By the way, I like what you did with your dash pad with the additional instruments! Really cool, but my Bird has an AC unit in it and I need that area for the AC vent. It gets hot in Texas! Best Regards, Ray ~ Yellow Rose
Old 02-03-2008, 11:35 AM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

If you have to work on the gas tank sending unit, good news, it is right on top with very easy access. Look under the mat in front of the spare tire well (as you view from the rear of the car with the trunk open). It is held in by a ring that you rotate. As George said, step #1 is clean all grounds and look for physical damage.

When I got my 58, most electrical gauge failures were due to lack of proper ground as a result of rust, paint and crap.

The clock can often be revitalized with care and patience. See earlier posts. If not, it is cheaper to buy another than to have it rebuilt.

In general, the gauges require patience and attention to details such as grounds and good connections. The good side is there is little expense.

john
58 Hardtop
Old 02-03-2008, 12:21 PM

Hi John,

Thank you for that information about accessing the gas sending unit. We will clean the ground connections. It might be something as simple as that. If not, I will get a new sending unit. Thanks also for the information regarding the clock. I really would like to have it working again. I want all the gauges working, for that matter. I want to get rid of that after market set that was installed hanging from the bottom of the dashboard. I really appreciate all the advice from ya'll who have been down this path before. Great help! Best Regards, Ray ~ Yellow Rose
Old 02-03-2008, 12:39 PM
John

You can find out alot about the sending unit if you have a multimeter. Basically you want to see if the thin wire that wraps around it is broken.

Sending units can be rebuilt if they are not horribly corroded. If you look in Hemmings, there are several shops nationally who do this kind of thing. Bob's Speedometer in Minnesota comes to mind. You may have some calibrating to do when you get it working.

I have (somewhere) a thorough article on clocks that came out of some car restoration magazine. I can dig it up and email it to you as an attachment if you like. As I said earlier, there are some posts on this Forum way back where several of us had good luck getting a clock going (cleaning, lube and so on). They do, however, wear out in some cases as you have brass fittings and bushings that got no lube for 40+ years after they left some factory. There are also electrical contacts that may need cleaning. I think I bought 2 or 3 on Ebay for $10 or less and made one good one. Getting a nice face also helps as does fresh plexiglass.

John
Old 02-03-2008, 01:32 PM

Hi John,

Yup, I have a multimeter and can check that wiring. Thanks for the additional information regarding rebuilding them. I do have a Hemmings book. I am going to see if I can find that technical information regarding calibrating it and print it out. I will probably need it.

Thanks for the info on clocks. I have been sitting here for quite some time reading all the posts about them. It sounds like once you do get one working it does not often last that long. I might just invest in a quartz one and be done with it. I see you can get them from Birds Nest and probably a few other places. You can email that information if you find it, to rayclark07@gmail.com

It appears that my clock has been changed out already, I think. My other gauges and speedometer has a gold colored center and black "crosses" with white indicators. My clock has a silver center with with black "crosses" and orange hands. So it looks to me like someone already changed this clock out at least once. Otherwise, I would think the center section would be gold to match the other two instrument faces.

Thanks again for all the help, guys! Much appreciated. Best Regards, Ray

Last edited by YellowRose : 02-03-2008 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:56 PM
John

I will go on a hunt for the clock article... several possible computers might have it.

There is an article Alexander did on calibration of gauges that is on this site under Technical material. It is for the gauges themselves. I also had to fool with the aftermarket sending unit for the gas tank that I bought. Mainly I wanted it to read Empty when it was near Empty and not mislead me (and leave me walking). Not exactly precision instruments!!

I had a quartz job done on my clock. Cost a bunch ($150) but runs perfectly and looks great as well. I have gotten an oldie to run well also. When you get them going you need to let them run for several days on the workbench to decide how accurate they are (and adjust accordingly). A couple of minutes a day of error doesnt sound like much until you realize that's 15 minutes a week.

There are some articles (posts) on this Forum as well about calibrating your temp gauge. That one needs to be taken seriously, given the possibility of old cars overheating. The goal here is to match up the needle position on the gauge with a real temperature reading. I did it with a thermometer while other guys did it with those fancy infra-red detectors. Remember that if the sending unit is not working right, it will probably read too low, causing you to mistreat your motor.

John
Old 02-03-2008, 04:33 PM

Hi John,

Thanks for looking for the clock article. I read and printed out the information by Alexander on adjusting both gauges. Like you, I would rather have my fuel gauge reading Empty when it is close to it. I certainly understand the necessity of having the temperature gauge reading very accurately! Once we get these gauges working fully after hooking up the new temp. sensor unit to the block and wiring it in, and checking the grounding on the fuel sensor, we will look at making those tests.

Bart just told me that the fact that my clock center has a silver color instead of a gold center, may not mean anything. He said every picture he has seen of a Tbird clock for our Birds has had a silver center. I thought they would match the color of the other gauges. Then again, maybe my other gauges centers have changed color!

Once again, thanks for all the help, John and others. Best Regards, Ray
Old 02-03-2008, 06:52 PM

I pulled my clock on my '59 Bird. The fuse looks good and the lights both work. I took it into the house to work on it. I shook the clock to see if it would start on its own. Nope! I see that someone else has been into this clock before, from the looks of it. The sections that clamp the back to the clock case have been all scratched up by someone else prying the crimping loose to get the clock off. I see that there is no gasket on this clock either. I printed out the gasket that Alexander gave us.

I blew out the clock area, and sprayed it with WD-40. I shook it again to see if it would start. Nope! So I pushed that little spring loaded flipper in it and it started ticking! For about 6-7 seconds! Then it stopped. I started it many times trying to keep it going. Sometimes it would run for 20-30 seconds and stop. Other times, 6-7 seconds. I gather this thing needs a good clock repairman. That surely is not me! Any suggestions? I dont know of anything else to do and I am not about to take that clock apart! Ray