This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:16 PM
Experienced

Meridious is on a distinguished road
Default Adding Disc Brakes (1960 WITH AC)

I have found some threads about changing over to disc brakes (front at least) and they seem to apply to those Birds without AC...specifically the part about adding the new brake booster at the firewall to go with the new disc brakes.

Since I have AC, I have the booster at the pedal...and not much room for adding a newer brake booster at the firewall (Like with the Grenada swaps show in the pics, etc)...is there an option for me if I want to go to disc brakes?

Thanks,

merid
Old 01-21-2008, 11:07 PM
Super-Experienced

RustyNCa is on a distinguished road

I don't know what the granda swap looks like, but can you fit what I did?

Old 01-22-2008, 01:09 AM
Administrator

byersmtrco is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

They (Ford) made a bracket to move the conventional style M/Cyl & Booster out of the way of the Ac Evap when add on AC was installed. Mine is a non-AC car, but it has the bracket. I run a dual cyl m/cyl. It came in the kit from Stainless Steel Brake Corp. The booster came from Power Brake Exch in San Jose Calif.
Hot set up. The discs really stop. I've brought her down from 80 mph right to a stop. No effort AND in a straight line. No strg wheel pull.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Master cyl and booster 60TB 001.jpg (366.6 KB, 85 views)
Poss 3rd Gen T/B owner
Old 01-22-2008, 01:17 AM
Administrator

Here's the other side of the coin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 65 Tbird interior (60 TB seat Sw) 022.jpg (70.4 KB, 85 views)
Poss 3rd Gen T/B owner
Old 01-22-2008, 09:57 PM
Super-Experienced

tbirds8 is on a distinguished road

Nice work everybody. I have one of these tbirds that is real nice no rot.ps & pb and could be original owner. Not sure which way to go with this.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:11 AM
Experienced

There is not room for any of those boosters on the firewall of my 60 Bird if I leave the AC intact. There is only about 4 inches of clearance all together.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:12 PM
Administrator

It will. I've seen it. The comb of the style brkt I have with the smaller dia booster. I saw one in a 60 S/R last summer. Had orig AC with "The BIG Motor"
Poss 3rd Gen T/B owner
Old 01-23-2008, 03:44 PM
Experienced

Do you happen to know if that part of the kit can be purchased separately? (The Booster mount/adapter and accessories?)

If that kit interferes with the sway-bar (They do acknowledge that on their site, now...that it will not/is not made to work with vehicles that have that particular suspension) then I would not want to get that entire kit.

I'd love to be able to buy that mount and accessories for the master cylinder/brake pedal if it does indeed make it possible to clear the AC on the firewall.

I have sent an inquiry asking them if they sell the M/cyl brackets and accessories separately and if they have an answer for the suspension/sway-bar debacle. No answer yet.

Last edited by Meridious : 01-23-2008 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:15 PM
Administrator

That M/Cyl & Booster brkt was a Ford item. For some reason, my car always had it. It was part of the add on AC kit Ford sold. I'm sure it would be easy enough to fabricate one, poss similar to the other pics (Nice set up by the way)

As far as the disc brakes themselves. Other companies make good kits that mount the calipers facing the rear. Fatman Fabrications. Drop n Stop. You can even get drop spindles now. Or just get a V8 Granada setup. For the hard questions, talk to Lance at Thunderbirds Southwest in Texas. He has a nice website. he prob has these parts in stock. Very sharp guy. There are several possibilities out there now. Not like when I did mine.
Poss 3rd Gen T/B owner
Old 01-24-2008, 11:17 AM
Experienced

skyd is on a distinguished road

I picked up my disc kit from http://www.abspowerbrake.com for about, mounted to the existing spindles which was nice.

They also carry this hydroboost(I think that's the name) that replaces the typical vacuum booster. It's more expensive but is very narrow and won't/shouldn't conflict with the ac.

As John mentioned, there are a ton of companies that now offer conversions for these birds.

Good luck and well worth the it.