This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:26 PM

59lover is on a distinguished road
Default 58 for sale

Got to tell you guys, all car guys are alike, I have a Corvette and talk on their forum all the time, Jaguar too, you welcome a new guy to your forum and then try to give him as much info. to help him make a decision on a car.....all I can say is you guys are great, lots of helpful info. I did email this guy last time his car was listed and told him that if it did not sell to let me know, we both live in Washington, and that I would come over to Spokane to look at his car.....never heard from him, he also told me the data plate was missing but that it is stamped drivers side dash board, looked at other birds ...no vins there. I know about restorations, I could live with the color change, but there are still to many questions, like you all said this car has not even got one bid, think I will pass!
I see that there is another 60 bird on Ebay also in the Seattle area, ( lucky me ) that Holman Moody one, looks pretty cool, has a sun roof and has been modified, know it is not a vert, but different, he has not met his reserve at 11.3.....what do you guys think is a reasonable value. Once again thanks for all the help, and as us Corvette guys say Save the Wave!
Old 01-17-2008, 11:21 AM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Arrow

I sure like the colors on that 1958, but I'd have to have a correct data plate, correct door panels and seat covers (so more money).

I do think it would be GREAT to get the T-Bird's "for sure" VIN# off the inner fender/cowl/cross-memeber area. Heck, if nothing else we could get the T-Bird "back to the original owners" if you know what I mean. Kind of like the returned by the DMV 1956 T-Bird story in CA....

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:13 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road
Wink

I have to say that if I were going to pay, say, more than $5K for any TBird (HT or conv) I would want to go and look at it in person. Too many variables otherwise. Things I would want to see include:
* VIN and data tag
* condition of front underside pertaining to rusted out components. Poke around with a screwdriver...
* go over the body with a felt covered magnet to find out Bondo work
* real paint color(s)
* real quality of work not provided by photos

Otherwise you can buy a nightmare. I was thinking of one of our members in Florida who got a car that needed, among other things, the roof replaced. (Yes... you read that right).
The potential man-hours are incredible. If he had gotten the car for free it was still not a very good deal.

Just my opinions. These and 75 cents may get you today's paper.

John
Old 01-17-2008, 05:58 PM
Super-Experienced

GTE427 is on a distinguished road

Mike,

Here are some photos to explain what we talked about.

The trunk release switch location to the left of the steering column.

The trunk lid in the released position with the safety catch hooked and showing the package tray flipped out.

And lastly the underside of the trunk lid with the package tray folded and the solenoid locations. I've manually opened the trunk and can now operate the roof from a switch located on the drivers side inner trunk sidewall.

This represents the 58 and 59 convertible, the 60 is fully automatic and the component differ with relays, limit switches and more hydraulics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg roof1.jpg (6.3 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg roof2.jpg (15.5 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg roof3.jpg (8.8 KB, 39 views)
Old 01-18-2008, 01:47 PM
John

I looked at photos of the dash to see if the locks were there for the convertible top that one of you mentioned. I could not see that well.

However, the instrument faces are white which is the wrong color for '58!! (59 and 60 are white; 58 black)

So one has to really wonder just what the hell this thing really is!!

John
58 Hardtop
Old 01-18-2008, 02:30 PM
Super-Experienced

GTE427 is on a distinguished road

Right, 58's are black. The pictures I posted are of my 59. The truck release switch is directly below the headlight switch, there's an arrow from the caption block. The picture is hard to view, when I scaled the photo for attachment size limits, I scaled too small on the dash picture. I was rushed for time and couldn't redo.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:35 PM
John

I wasn't talking about your car, Ken, but the one on Ebay!!! I was looking for the same details that you provided. That was when I noticed his instruments color.

A little searching reveals that this exact car was discussed this forum on Sept 14, 2006. At that time it was owned by one of our members, Kennylmeyers. If you do a search for the VIN H8YJ122470 the discussion will pop up....

I went to the Registry to look at it and thought "This photo looks familiar!!"

John

Last edited by JohnG : 01-18-2008 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:49 PM
Super-Experienced

tarps3 is on a distinguished road

Dang John...you went all "Columbo" on us there - ha.
Ever consider being a private detective?

From reading that previous thread that you discovered, did you presume that the data plate was still with the car at that time?
Old 01-18-2008, 02:55 PM
Super-Experienced

tarps3 is on a distinguished road

never mind - i read farther into that old thread and it didn't have the data plate then either.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:42 PM
John

Thumbs down

I'm the same guy who has been looking for his own Swiss Army knife for two months with no success...