This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:38 AM

59lover is on a distinguished road
Default 58 for sale

Been checking Ebay maybe you have seen it, a 58 blue convertable for sale it has issues and no data plate, I am thinking about bidding on it but looking for advise on whether I should, it has the wrong paint,motor and interior not to mention the missing data plate. I am new to this site and know very little about these cars, any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:55 AM
Super-Experienced

bcomo is on a distinguished road

My personal opinion is -- it has too many issues, too many wrong things, and too high a price to start with.

I wouldn't attempt to try to take it back to original color, engine, transmission, etc. That would be major $$$$$.

Also consider that these birds need normal work to keep them alive and well. That alone is enough for me.

Hopefully you'll get some other opinions from the folks on this site.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:57 AM
Super-Experienced

fomoco59 is on a distinguished road

Not too bad... they are one of the rarest 'Birds. Depends on if you want a "driver" or a show car as to $$ you want to spend on motor/color changes.

Mike Lemmon
'59 Raven Black Hardtop

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=2461
Old 01-16-2008, 10:30 AM
Super-Experienced

GTE427 is on a distinguished road

If looking for a Squarebird convertible, the 58 is a excellent choice. The 58 was the lowest production at 2134, and the 58 --early 59-- has a trunk controlled power top that is far less troublesome than later 59 and 60 convertible which are fully automatic being operated from the drivers seat.

If you're looking for a driver, like turquoise and the paint is in good shape, the color shouldn't be a problem. The TBird's underhood it painted body color as is the inside trunk, changing back to Red could get expensive, this is where your intentions have to be considered against the cost of the car. Likewise a interior color change could be expensive, but if in good shape and to your liking, enjoy it the way you like.

Look for rust, rusted floors, rusted trunk floors, and body panels. If the panels have been replaced, check workmanship. When the work is done right, the fender skirts fit nicely, many times they don't after panel replacement, and the rear fender lips are wavy. Check the hood and trunk underside at the hinge ends, there's a seam where the skin wraps around, these seams are where rust first shows up. Also check the seams and around the drain holes in the bottom of the doors.

The VIN number can be found on the frame to check against the title.

This car has been on ebay a couple of times the past year for the same opening bid and hasn't sold, so it may have issues for why it isn't selling. Do yourself a favor, drive or fly, get there and look over the car, it worth the expense.
The rest is up to you and your budget. If you'd like, send your number in a PM and I'd be glad to talk. Good luck.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:57 AM
Administrator

byersmtrco is on a distinguished road

My $.02
We're looking at the turquoise one? Item # 300190402223.

$17 is a little strong. I'd go 10 tops. No data plate? Scary!!

Remember, 58's have coil spring susp in the rear. Plan on adding heavy duty sway bars frt & rr ($400 in parts-aprox)

As far as the top , the 58-59 system is simpler. Although, in 47 years the top in my 60 has only not worked once. The motor simply wore out. It got out of sync once. Lesson learned, only raise and lwr the top on a level surface. I've never seen a 59 with a full power top.

But yeah, 10 is all it's worth because its not (close to) orig and the no data plate thing. Here in Calif the DMV won't even look at it W/O that. You'd have to go to the CHP 1st and have it "Blue tagged"

But plan on ANOTHER $10 (minimum) to get it close.

OR just have fun and make it a Street Rod !!!!!
428 . . . C6 . . . beef up the susp Add disc brakes (You need to do that either way)

Good luck
Poss 3rd Gen T/B owner
Old 01-16-2008, 02:25 PM
Super-Experienced

fomoco59 is on a distinguished road

Geez.. there's a lot of cool Squarebirds on EBay right now. That custom reddish one is nicely done.

Mike Lemmon
'59 Raven Black Hardtop

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=2461
Old 01-16-2008, 02:45 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

Someone correct me if I am wrong but without the data plate you need to see the VIN and determine if it really is a convertible. There are no end of sawed off hardtops out there! You hit a good bump and the windshield cracks due to the lack of reinforcement.

Unless you have a pile of money you can spend years getting it to where it should be even if it is legit, so you need to decide on what your long term goal is. $17 strikes me as way too high but that's what Ebay is partly about - fishing expeditions.

John
58 HT
Old 01-16-2008, 03:51 PM
Super-Experienced

GTE427 is on a distinguished road

One thing I've noticed about convertible conversions is that this conversions haven't taken the time to invert the trunk lid to rear hinged and install the folding canvas top. To date, the convertible wannabe's I've seen have front hinged trunk lids and no roofs or a home made roof of some sort that's easy to spot as such or a aftermarket fabricated roof. I think once a wannbe is looked at, those with minimal knowledge of Squarebirds would spot the conversion.

Beside, the serial number on the frame/title would contain a J in the fourth position of a 58/59, this would be another clue if the car is authentic.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:20 PM
Super-Experienced

RustyNCa is on a distinguished road
Default If he doesn't have the data plate..how does he know about the red?

Doesn't it seem curious that he knows it should be a Grenedier Red with Red and White Interior?

Is there another way other than the data plate to figure that out?
Old 01-16-2008, 08:11 PM
Super-Experienced

tbirds8 is on a distinguished road

STAY away far far away. You can't buy the vin tag anywere.