This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:59 PM
Apprentice

texastomeh is on a distinguished road
Question Whada' you think of this paint scheme?

Guys,

I'm getting to the point of paint prep/planning/decision on my '63 Hardtop restro-mod. It was/is originally "Corinthian White" with the "Light/Dark Blue" interior. The interior is in great shape, just needing some minor repairs and some tender loving care and minor color restoration. I want to stay with the white/blue combination.

I've been noodling around some thoughts re the exterior paint and wanted to get some opinions. What are your thoughts re an "off-white" (Corinthian, Bone, Ivory, Cream, etc.) in a SATIN finish? Or maybe the body in SATIN with a "flatter" (eggshell?) roof? Or a GLOSS body with a SATIN roof? Etc.? The possibilities are endless - maybe the roof just a "shade" darker or lighter than the body, etc.

I know that some of you purist are preparing the tar-and- feathers, but I'm not trying to do a true restroration. I am already deviating from that with electrical, engine, exhaust, suspension, brakes, A/C, etc. upgrades/updates. However, I do want to stay true to the "spirit" of this (hopefully soon to be) beautiful sweetheart.

By the way; her name is "Angelaine" after my wife (Elaine), daughter (Angela), grandaughter (Ann) and mother (Ann).

PLEASE feel free to give me your opinions and any recommendations that you may have.

thanx,

texastomeh
Old 12-22-2007, 02:24 PM
Super-Experienced

SandyBoy is on a distinguished road
Default My opinion

First things first. This **IS** the funniest line I've read, since I began using a computer:-

"" I know that some of you purist are preparing the tar-and- feathers. ""

Thank you for a terrific laugh. It lightened my load of fighting my way back to good health, a long & winding road, for sure.

Now, regarding your car. This would be my idea, and I personally think it would look like a million dollars. But.... you might not like it, and that's fine. I respect your final decession.

I would paint the car in a G.M. metallic white, such as the Cadillac metallic whites.... when the sun shines on them - they have a silvery glow to them. Then....I'd paint the roof in
a beautiful rich silver metallic. The nicest of those would be the 1978 Chrysler New Yorker Brougham's Crystal Silver Pearl Clear Coat. Why? Because it above all, had the highest content of silver metallic particles, laid onto an ultra light pale silver basecoat.
The Cadillac pearl whites have the largest content of silver in them. One compliments the other. Both go well with blue interior.
IF IF IF you live anywhere within reason to an automotive paint store, they have books and you can see samples of each color. The '78 Chrysler Crystal Silver paint will not be cheap, and i'd suggest using a highly experienced professional to do the work. I believe it's a 3-step process ~
Best of luck.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:33 PM
Webmaster

Alexander is on a distinguished road

Non-Gloss paints are very popular on custom cars recently. they are still a matter of taste. Some people don't like the look.

A combination of gloss and matte I have not seen done. I am not sure what it would look like.

I have seen a lot of custom '61-'63 done in pearls and metallics. They look good in that ype of paint.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:56 PM
Apprentice

SandyBoy-

I LIKE IT!!!

I appreciate the response. To me, that's what this whole insane hobby/sport/obsession is all about!!

MORE!!!

thanx,

texastomeh
Old 12-23-2007, 12:26 AM
Super-Experienced

bcomo is on a distinguished road
Default Better See This

Uh Oh !!!!

Old 12-23-2007, 02:56 AM
Webmaster

Alexander is on a distinguished road

That's funny!
Old 12-23-2007, 03:30 PM
Apprentice

bcomo-

THAT has to be one of the FUNNIEST things I have ever seen!!

It is EXACTLY what I had in mind when I made the comment in my original post!!

I sur hope that SandyBoy sees it!!

thanx!!

texastomeh
Old 12-23-2007, 08:21 PM
Super-Experienced

bcomo is on a distinguished road

Yeah -- I thought that he might get a chuckle out of it.

Thanks for being a good sport.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:17 AM
El Guapo and La Chiquita

El Guapo is on a distinguished road

HAHA!
I think some of the purest would like to do this to me!!
Hope Ya'll have a great new years.
Waitin for some desent weather here.
Cheers to all

Keepin it square!
El Guapo out!
Old 12-29-2007, 02:00 PM
Super-Experienced

dgs is on a distinguished road

I think that would look great, satin creme with gloss blue. I've seen several customs with a combo of satin and gloss. Browse through my photo gallery, specifically the Good Guys 2006 & 2007 galleries.

There's a sharp early 60's Chevy wagon in satin red with a gloss white top an a mid-late 60's big Pontiac that's satin black and gloss aqua. Several more.

My Dad doesn't like it (he's a traditionalist), but I think it's sharp.