This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:53 AM

forddelrio
Default Rack & Pinion Conversion for T-Birds

Hi my name is Rick and I need some input from T-Bird owners. My company has been making rack and pinion conversions for 54-56, 57-59, and 60-64 Full size Fords for a little over a year now and we have had heavy interest and sales for these cars. Now I need to know if the 58-60 and 61-64 T-Bird owners would be interested in our conversions for their cars. These conversions are straight forward bolt-ins without any butchering of the chassis. The conversions use the factory chassis holes to mount the rack mounting brackets. Some minor mods need to be done to your stock steering column, but it's easy and we supply the parts. The steering ratio is 3 1/2 turns lock to lock. The really good news is that you can use your stock power steering pump. The rack does not hang down below the cross member, nor does it mount in any way to the crossmember.You do not lose any turning radius with this conversion.
The conversion can be used with stock T-Bird or Ford Granada spindles.
I have received several phone calls asking if we make conversions for the T-Birds and we are currently building one on a 60 T-bird.
Please let me know your thoughts, thanks.....Rick
www.wurthitdesigns.com
rodnut@wic.net
970-434-7123
Old 09-30-2004, 03:06 PM
Experienced

Travlin is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Rack & Pinion Conversion for T-Birds

>Hi my name is Rick and I need some input from T-Bird owners.
>My company has been making rack and pinion conversions for
>54-56, 57-59, and 60-64 Full size Fords for a little over a
>year now and we have had heavy interest and sales for these
>cars. Now I need to know if the 58-60 and 61-64 T-Bird
>owners would be interested in our conversions for their
>cars. These conversions are straight forward bolt-ins
>without any butchering of the chassis. The conversions use
>the factory chassis holes to mount the rack mounting
>brackets. Some minor mods need to be done to your stock
>steering column, but it's easy and we supply the parts. The
>steering ratio is 3 1/2 turns lock to lock. The really good
>news is that you can use your stock power steering pump. The
>rack does not hang down below the cross member, nor does it
>mount in any way to the crossmember.You do not lose any
>turning radius with this conversion.
>The conversion can be used with stock T-Bird or Ford Granada
>spindles.
>I have received several phone calls asking if we make
>conversions for the T-Birds and we are currently building
>one on a 60 T-bird.
>Please let me know your thoughts, thanks.....Rick
>www.wurthitdesigns.com
>rodnut@wic.net
>970-434-7123

Dunno if the webmaster allows these types of questions here, but I would be interested.

I own a 58 and have been considering buying a Mustang II or similiar complete front end for my Bird -- Would appreciate not having to cut and fab the frame just to get Rack and Pinion steering.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:04 PM

forddelrio

Well if you can be a little patient, I am working on the solution for the 58-60 T-Birds. No mods to the frame will be required, no leaking rams,and no more excessive end play at the steering wheel. One of the most important issues is bump steer.... this system has the correct geometry that eliminates this problem. I appreciate your feedback! I'm working on making products that have been available to the Chevy guys for a long time. Now it's time that the Ford owners have the same products made available to them.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:49 PM
Webmaster

Alexander is on a distinguished road

For those who want more performane from their Squarebird and are not strict restorationists, this sounds like a great product. It sounds like it is reversible too, if anyone ever wants to put the stock parts back. Is that true?

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top
Old 09-30-2004, 08:13 PM
Experienced

>For those who want more performane from their Squarebird
>and are not strict restorationists, this sounds like a great
>product. It sounds like it is reversible too, if anyone ever
>wants to put the stock parts back. Is that true?
>
>Alexander
>1959 Hardtop
>1960 Golde Top

Kinda what I was thinking too Alexander.
Old 10-01-2004, 07:28 AM
Apprentice

1rancher is on a distinguished road

HI
In the event we drive these cars for 30 years would the maintenance parts for a rac set up be off the shelf stock ford, gm, dodge parts?
thanks
mark
1960 thunderbird conv.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:27 PM

forddelrio

Thanks for the replies. Yes you can put it back to stock because you are not altering anything on the chassis. As far as the stock steering column goes....as I said in my first post you will have to do some easy modifications to it. To be honest these mods would not be reversible. A lot of my customers install new a tilt column ( we have these w/ shifter or with out shifter ) and put their stock column in storage. The only items in this conversion you can not buy just walking into a parts store would be the tie rods and frame mount brackets. You can buy the rack, tie rod ends, power steering fittings, power steering pump, power steering hoses, at any parts store. The steering shaft and u-joints can be purchased from BORGESON or FLAMING RIVER and have the standard part numbers in their catalogs. The tie rods can be purchased from a number of suppliers. I supply all the info ( part numbers, suppliers,etc.) needed with the instructions that come with the conversion. I am hoping to get enough interest to make this conversion become one our products. At this stage we are prototyping one on a 60 T-Bird
www.wurthitdesigns.com
Old 10-02-2004, 11:07 PM
Webmaster

Alexander is on a distinguished road

I would be interested in seeing a picture of your Ford Delrio. Few people other than true Ford fans know that it was a competitor to the Chevy Nomad. More Delrios were built than Nomads, but few survived.

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top
Old 10-03-2004, 01:54 AM
Experienced

I thought that's what I was looking at. Haven't seen one in years!
Old 10-03-2004, 01:45 PM

forddelrio

I'm currently doing a complete rehash on the 57 DelRio, just installed a new set of floor pans from EMS. The 57 is a rare factory "Select Air" car with radio and clock delete. They are rare but I have found another one in a barn about thirty miles from where I live. It's been there for over 25 years. Time to hitch up the trailer and go get it. The one car I really want is a 60 T-bird... this car was the first car my mother owned. It was black with red and white interior, 430 engine, fully loaded except for the sun roof.