This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:16 PM
Experienced

danowens3 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy To replace or rebuild - cruise o matic

Took the 1960 hardtop with the 352 in it to the tranny shop last week to have some help with a leak in the shift linkage. The tranny shop called today with the great news that he found pieces of my clutch plates in my tranny pan. He is saying that my transmission should be re-built for approx $1300. I asked if I could get a new transmission and he laughed. Any suggestions on if this is a reasonable price or of vendors that sell re-built transmissions? Thanks, Dan
Old 09-18-2007, 08:20 PM
El Guapo and La Chiquita

El Guapo is on a distinguished road

If your not concerned about keeping it original install a c-6.You can usally find a rebuilt one for under $600.
strong tranny's.
The cruise-o -matic is considered by some to be a weak link.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:45 PM
Apprentice

dphonohan is on a distinguished road
Default c-6

So are you saying that a c-6 bolts right up without any re-working at all ?
Old 09-18-2007, 09:20 PM
El Guapo and La Chiquita

I believe it will.
ask your guy @ the tranny shop.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:55 PM
Experienced

danowens3 is on a distinguished road

I would really like to put a cruise o matic back in the car. It is mostly original and in great shape. I searched the website as I thought a post a year or so ago was out there about a place that sold re-built transmissions but I can not find it now. Also tried searching on the internet and had little to no luck. Still hoping to keep her "originalish."
Old 09-18-2007, 10:00 PM
Apprentice

Default would like to read some

from others that have made the conversion.
I understand how you feel about originality, mine looks all original, but have disc brakes, now headers.
I will say though, that now having sunk thousands in engine rebuild, IF I had it to do all over again, I would convert to a 350. Don't guess it will ever be right, no matter how much I put into it.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:11 PM
El Guapo and La Chiquita

Check out this forum.
http://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.or...opic.php?t=355
or this guy
Broaderperformance.com

Last edited by El Guapo : 09-18-2007 at 10:13 PM.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:16 PM
Apprentice

Default Wow !

My head is spinning from all of that...might be better to rebuild
Old 09-18-2007, 10:48 PM
Experienced

peeeot

I rebuilt the cruise-o-matic in my '59. I was pretty scared of it at first but it really wasnt so bad to do at all. I could't tell you whether it's perfect now because I don't know what perfect is for these transmissions but I do know that it moves the car along and shifts nicely
All the instructions you need are in the factory shop manual, and the parts are available through Fatsco. I can't remember off the top of my head how much it cost but I know it was by far the cheapest way to get my transmission ship-shape. Good luck!
Old 09-18-2007, 11:11 PM
Webmaster

Alexander is on a distinguished road

The cruise-o-matic is a reliable transmission. You just must remember to bring the car to a full stop before shifting directions. If you don't, you will crack the the case.

Rebuilding the transmission has less headaches involved than putting in a later transmission, as modifications and adjustments must be done. Resale value is usually lowered by making modifications on a car.