This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:53 AM
Experienced

skyd is on a distinguished road
Default 4 core Vs. Expansion Tank

As I have seen in many posts, alot of these expansion tanks are prone to leaks. The filler neck on mine kinda broke right off. So my questions are:

would a 4 core be a better solution than replacing the expansion tank?

are there other tanks that are stronger than the Tbirds that would fit the 352?

If I'm gonna spend the money, I want to go with the best solution.

Thanks Guys!
Old 09-10-2007, 11:22 AM
Webmaster

Alexander is on a distinguished road

The 58-60 expansion tank is a poor design. The later ribbed ones are much better and fit exactly; they are just not correct for show. You can buy all of these tanks as reproductions.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:31 PM
Webmaster

I see that Pat Wilson sells a Heavy Duty expansion tank. I'm not sure what it looks like.

http://www.wilsontbird.com/parts/7/?...c5ebdfc21b679e
Old 09-10-2007, 01:28 PM
Experienced

I have too many mods now to worry about showing, so this may work out well.

Pat's is usually where I go for the quick stuff. He's only about an hour from me, I can take a drive up and check out.

My guess is that route would be better than a 4core upgrade?
Old 09-10-2007, 02:13 PM
Webmaster

The biggest problems these cars have is the four-blade fan, that was made made more for cost-cutting than cooling, and the lack of a fan shroud, another cost-cutting measure.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:58 PM
Administrator

byersmtrco is on a distinguished road

Adding a 6 or 7 blade and the shrd will fix most/all of your problems. I went with a 7 blade flex, the Dearborn Classics Reprod shroud, a 4 row rad and a 62 style ribbed tank (Ok so I went overboard)
But . . . The only time she goes over 185 is sitting totally still (in gear) on a hot day. All I have to do is put it in Park and hold the R's up (fast idle) or even moving 5 mph and it cools right down.

It has never boiled over, or in the tank or dump coolant after shutoff like it used to, even on a couple of really hot days (once stuck in commute traffic for 45 min)

Alexander is right (like usual), for such a top of the line car (Ford's flagship in those years) and over all a very well built car, they really did cut some corners on certain things, like the cheezy Falcon 6 cyl fan blade. Those cable driven (vacuum) windshield wipers also come to mind
Poss 3rd Gen T/B owner
Old 09-11-2007, 09:58 AM
Experienced

I have learned with these birds then more is never too much.

I like going overboard. I hate that nervous feeling when I get stuck in traffic and I see that Temp going, going way up.

I recently went with a 6 blade clutch fan(removed the 7 blade flex, not sure if that was smart), an 12 inch pusher fan on the front and an aftermarket shroud. Still have her get up to 220 on an average hot day in NJ. I had the expansion tank off and decided to put it back on, got her down to 200 and then the tank broke. So I am trying to figure if I should spend my money on a new tank or a 4core.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:40 AM
Webmaster

The expansion tank was one of those inexpensive fixes for a problem that these cars with overheating. The lowness of these cars meant the radiator could not be high enough to adequately cool the car. The expansion tank helps in that it allows more coolant to be in the system.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:41 AM
Super-Experienced

bcomo is on a distinguished road

Which shround did you use? Was it the Dearborn Classics?
Old 09-13-2007, 02:42 PM
Experienced

Hawkrod is on a distinguished road

I guess I am a little surprised in part of the responses here and and a general lack of understanding of the purpose of the expansion tank. The expansion tank does not provide any extra capacity or cooling. It is not there to help keep the car cooler. The only purpose of the expansion tank is to have the fill neck of the cooling system at the top and provide an air space above the top of the engine. As the hood lines f new Fords got lower the radiator was no longer above the engine level and the filler and air space must be so they used the tank. The tank was only a fix for a low radiator, not for any other purpose. On a car the top of the radiator higher than the engine, it works exactly the same but allows for a filler and an air space. Also, the lowness of the radiator has nothing to do with air flow. I often wonder when I see these posting why you guys are having trouble. These cars were not known for overheating when new and none of mine ever have. I live in the desert (it is over 100 right now) and I can cruise my bone stock 59 all day with no issues. If you are experiencing overheating, the first thing to do is the basics. Check the timing. This is the #1 culprit after a plugged radiator. Our cars have very thin harmonic balancers and the outer ring has a tendency to rotate. 6 degrees is enough to cause low speed overheating and yet the car will run fine. There are many causes of overheating but if the car did not overheat when it was driven off of the showroom floor it should not overheat now. Hawkrod