This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 09-19-2004, 07:13 PM
Experienced

skyd is on a distinguished road
Default RE: 16 in. wheels

>1960 HT 390, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Shorty Headers,
>2-1/2" Exhaust and 3.70 Rear Gears

I have a quick question, where did you find headers for the tbird. I can't find a place yet?

Old 09-19-2004, 07:27 PM
Webmaster

Alexander is on a distinguished road

That looks sharp.

Ford should revive the Squarebird. It is one of the most timeless designs oout there. It still looks good. It certainly looks better than any car made now.

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top
Old 09-19-2004, 10:15 PM
Experienced

1960Bird is on a distinguished road

Your car looks great, I wish mine was in that good of shape and the new wheels are a real plus, I think that they really look natural on your car. You can get headers at

http://fordpowertrain.com/Headers.htm

They are about $400.00 dollars, chrome shorties, they fit pretty good. I believe if you install while the engine is in the car that you have to remove one of the motor mounts and lift the engine a bit. I put mine on while the engine was out of the car. The headers combined with a good exhaust 2-1/4 or 2-1/2 really make a difference in the performance no matter what you have done to your engine. Well worth the money as far as I am concerned.

1960 HT 390, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Shorty Headers, 2-1/2" Exhaust and 3.70 Rear Gears
Old 09-20-2004, 07:15 AM
Apprentice

1rancher is on a distinguished road

hi
Headers, anybody running the headers with manual trans?
thanks
mark
Old 10-25-2004, 11:44 AM
Apprentice

BCDSGT06 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: 16in. wheels

SKYD,
Who manufactures the wheels you used on your car? They really look sharp!!
Randall
1960 Hardtop
Old 10-29-2004, 11:08 AM
Experienced

Thanks

Here is the link: [link:http://www.americanracing.com/wheels...oy,%20polished | American Racing]

the actual size used is 16X7 with a 4.25 Backspacing and they fit like a glove. I was originally concerned with the skirts, but I have enough back there to go with slightly larger tires if wanted.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:28 PM
Super-Experienced

dgs is on a distinguished road

>the actual size used is 16X7 with a 4.25 Backspacing and
>they fit like a glove. I was originally concerned with the
>skirts, but I have enough back there to go with slightly
>larger tires if wanted.

I'm planning on putting new wheels on mine this summer. I'm thinking of 18" [link:http://www.billetwheel.com/cgi/wheels.cgi?cmd=show_image&path=Cast_Series&img=2&t n=1|Boyd Smoothie II's]. I'd like to go as wide as possible, 9" all around if they'd work. I probably need to stick with 8" on the fronts, though. Right now I'm thinking of a 4" back space and 225/50R-18 tires (hard to find) with an 8" wheel and 4.5" and 255/45R-18 tires with a 9" wheel. That would give me close to the stock tire diameter of 27.5" - 28" to fill the wheel wells nicely. I'd like to keep the skirts.

Skyd, based on your experience, are those sizes realistic?

Here's a pic of the wheel:
http://www.billetwheel.com/Wheels%20...othie_II_5.jpg

Old 05-18-2005, 04:56 PM
Super-Experienced

dgs is on a distinguished road

A correction:

After some more consideration and input from a guy here (flynbrian48) with 16" and 17" wheels, I've changed my mind. I'm now leaning to this setup:

Front
17" x 8" wheels
4" back space
225/55R-17 tires

Rear
18" x 9" wheels
4.5" back space
255/45R-18 tires

Any thoughts?

Oh, and [link:www.billetwheel.com/cgi/wheels.cgi?cmd=show_image&path=Cast_Series&img=2&t n=1|here's the proper link] to those Boyd wheels.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:49 AM
Administrator

byersmtrco is on a distinguished road

That looks sharp !!!!!

________
Bmw vi history

Last edited by byersmtrco : 04-05-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:30 AM
Experienced

dgs,

Those are sweet set of wheels. I think whether you go with 17" or 18", you'll be be fine. Kinda which I went with 17"'s. The problem you are gonna run into with these will be the width. It was tight to get the 7"'s in, especially in the back, I think 8's will be pushing it and 9's might be impossible with the stock well's. I could be wrong, but I would hate for you to spend the time and have them not work.

Hope this helps. If you have more questions, I hope I can help out.

Later,
Marc