This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:17 PM
Super-Experienced

bcomo is on a distinguished road

Andy:

Those are the same wires that I just put on my 430 and I also changed to AutoLite AP45's. The plugs are running a cool cream color, and it runs great.

I don't know if anything could improve on that.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:32 PM
Experienced

430MEL is on a distinguished road

I agree, same plugs. Did a interstate run of about 30 miles and checked everything-plugs running clean and power was there at my right foot when needed. I think we will be ok with these wires, I'm still running points in mine!, still scared of Pertronix after the failure in my 56, maybe when my stockpile of points is gone I will go with the Pertronix, I think I will change to the powergen also, to keep the volts up as needed by the Pertronix .
Old 08-11-2007, 10:04 AM
Experienced

6TB1RD is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Lost

JohnG.
What All did you have to do to your ignition system to run the MSG high out put coil? I have been thanking of installing one but do not know the effects on the ignition system.

Bart.

I thought all the coils were 12v!

If I understand correctly are you saying you removed the resister wire? or is there something else, I know the wire from the starter switch is straight 12v, but I also thought the wire resister wire was also 12v!

What all needs to be done for a high output coil?
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=31811
Old 08-11-2007, 11:11 AM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

To use an MSD high output coil for points based ignition systems (they have a number of products), I also (this is important) got a matching ballast resistor so that the coil would have the proper current to (through) it. I think I posted the part numbers on a post about gas mileage back in July. (later: the MSD coil is 8002 and the ballast 8124)

I have a 1958 so I have a ballast resistor, while a 1960 (I think) has a resistor wire. Both do the same thing, namely they limit the current through the coil and points (or the points fry, among other possibilities).

So if I had a 1960, I would remove the resistor wire, add the MSD ballast resistor in its place, and hook up their coil.

All coils are 12V as their primary voltage but have thousands of volts for the secondary voltage that fires the plugs. This is where they differ.

I dont think the cost of the MSD components is more than $50 total, by the way. They have a pretty good website.

If anyone goes this route, as always, buy a backup ballast resistor because if it fails, you walk. Can be replaced in 1 minute or so.

john

Last edited by JohnG : 08-11-2007 at 12:28 PM. Reason: looked up part numbers
Old 08-11-2007, 02:20 PM
Super-Experienced

George:

Your right, the coils are 12V. But, the 60 uses a 12V resistor wire (a short pink wire under the dash in series with the coil wire) that will effectively reduce the Voltage going to the coil.

The FlameThrower instructions say to use a voltmeter from ground to the incoming hot lead (+) on the factory coil, car running, and if you get less than battery voltage (I think that I got 6V) you should remove the resistor. You don't have to do that, but you will just get less output from the FlameThrower -- but still more than the stock coil. So, it's really personal preference.

I unwrapped the harness from the firewall to the coil, and ran a 12V wire directly from the "key on" hot side of the ignition switch to the coil. So, I am not using the original wire that comes from the resistor.

This just eliminated the resistor wire without having to get under the dash and cut wires. And you can't tell that anything was done.

JohnG:

I measured the Ohms on one of the AutoLight HEI type wires (carbon core). The #6 cylinder wire reads 8,000 Ohms. I don't know if that's meaniful, but there it is.

Last edited by bcomo : 08-11-2007 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:28 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

that's pretty much identical with what I got... Thanks for checking!

So at this point I am going to phone the local auto parts stores and see if they have any spark plug wire sets (you assemble them yourself) made with cores from the older, lower resistance materials (not silcone), which one store manager tells me are available.

john
Old 08-11-2007, 03:32 PM
Experienced

6TB1RD is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Resister wire

Bart:
I had to replace the resister wire along with a few others (10 years takes a tole on some things) the replacement wire was 6' long and reaches from the coil to the connector just at the fire wall with a few inches to spear.

Now I guess it's just preference on what brand to use MSD or flame thrower. (gee may be a poll in in order here!

Thanks for the info
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=31811
Old 08-11-2007, 10:20 PM
Super-Experienced

6 Foot long? Geez, I just assumed that all of those resistor wires were short guys. Learn something every day here. Good info.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:00 AM
Experienced

John what points are you running with your MSD coil. Afraid of Pertronix but would like to power up thecoil.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:07 AM
Experienced

The resistor wire in my 60 is a plug in type with plugs at both ends it is stock and make that way for replacement purposes. Would not take much to unplug it from system and install a regular wire with plug type connection to facilitate a quick change over if you need to go back to regular system.