This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:45 AM
Super-Experienced

fomoco59 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco59 View Post
I have 5 leafs.

Geez... maybe I better look closer. I took a quick look and counted 5, but your specs say 6 was standard. I'll get a length measurement as well.

Mike Lemmon
'59 Raven Black Hardtop

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=2461
Old 08-08-2007, 12:11 PM
Moderator / Administrator

Dan Leavens is on a distinguished road
Cool Ride Height

After reading the various posts i wanted to check my 58 and chime in with the following:

Year 1958
Engine Size 352 Interceptor
Tire Size P215 /75R14 Coker
Tire Height 26" All
Front Well Height 13" to center of Rims
Rear Well Height 13" to center of Rims
Vehicle Height
From Ground 52" Overall

Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
Old 08-08-2007, 03:44 PM
Super-Experienced

bcomo is on a distinguished road

Fomoco59:

There's a really short leaf on the bottom. That may be the one that you missed.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:14 PM
Super-Experienced

dgs:

This is what I was talking about. I needed to draw this anyway for the finished results if we can get there.

Dan:

Yours are the first 58 measurements:

Your P215 /75R14 Cokers have a 27" diameter.

You said -- On the ground Tire Height = 26"
So, that is a 1" loss at the bottom from car weight on he tire. Seems like alot -- but OK if you say so.

Regarding:
Front Well Height 13" to center of Rims
Rear Well Height 13" to center of Rims

Could you post the wheel well height straight from the ground per the drawing below -- not from the hub cap center. That would help alot.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:28 PM
Webmaster

Alexander is on a distinguished road

Year 1960 Hard Top with Sunroof
Engine Size 352 Interceptor with A/C
Tire Size P215 /75R14 Coker
Tire Height 26" All
Front Well Height 14" to center of Rims (this is the center of the wheel to the fender lip)
Rear Well Height I could not do this
Vehicle Height From Ground 51.75" Overall
Rear Springs Six Leaf Springs
Ground to top of Front Fender at wheel center 35"
Ground to top of Rear Fender at wheel center 34.25"
Old 08-08-2007, 10:13 PM
Super-Experienced

OK. I see now why you are giving me "Center of Hub to Fender Lip" measurements. 6TB1RD also mentioned this -- but it just blew by my brain -- sorry.

The Center of Hub to Fender Lip measurement gives the ride height with respect to the springs, regardless of the tire size. In effect, you can have go-cart tires on it, and that distance will be the same.

The Ground to Fender Lip measurement gives the ride height with respect to the tire on the car. So, the tire does make a difference if you want to stay within the stock height, or raise/lower the car evenly.

I can still use everything so far, and probably have both sets of measurements.

I still need the rear height measurement for the 60 though.

On my 60, I have:

Front: 14 1/2" Center of Hub Cap to Fender Lip

Rear: 9" Center of Hub Cap to Top of Skirt
(This is high because of stock extra leaf)

6TBiRD: You measured 5.5" on the rear. Should we use that, or is that off because of spring sag?
Old 08-09-2007, 07:31 PM
Super-Experienced

dgs is on a distinguished road

I see the difference. I wonder if Coker's height is in the ground, supporting a vehicle or if it's simply the unburdened diameter. And I wonder if the diameter between 2 sizes is off an inch if the ride height changes by half that or something more or less? Hmmmmm.

No matter actually, the measurement to the wheel center is more consistent and likely doesn't vary much with tire size and inflation. It might be difficult to extrapolate from those which have just given you the tire height as you don't know where the wheel center is. It'll be closer to the ground than half way, just by how much?
Old 08-09-2007, 10:02 PM
Administrator

byersmtrco is on a distinguished road

I think we're pretty close here. My car has always sat low. I think as a rule, convertibles are lower than hardtops.
I did another measurement last summer. With the top down, and the weight transferred to the trunk, the car sits an inch lower (measured at the middle of the back bumper, prob 1/2" lower at the wheel opening. But it's always been an inch lower in frt and 2" (aprox in the rear) than other SQ/birds. Did my dad lower it? I think so. Maybe when it was new. At some point the frt coils have been heated. I've compared it w/two 59 HT's in the rear, when they were side by side. I counted one less leaf (assuming) the 59's were stock. I double checked just now. Mine has SIX leafs. Both 59's just happend to have seven. I was not counting the little shorty in either case. So I thought the 59's had six and mine five. So thanks to you guys I have learned something else.
At any rate, I am going to replace the leaf springs and get it to sit level. I'll keep my swaybar back there and get the heaviest shocks I can (frt & rr) and it should be pretty good.
My springs are just shot. I'm getting torque steer. Granted she has allot of torque . . . but sheeeeeeeeeesh !!!
I'll keep you updated.
Poss 3rd Gen T/B owner
Old 08-10-2007, 08:46 AM
Super-Experienced

fomoco59 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcomo View Post
Fomoco59:

There's a really short leaf on the bottom. That may be the one that you missed.
Yes, I have six leafs... and 55" length.

Mike Lemmon
'59 Raven Black Hardtop

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=2461
Old 08-10-2007, 10:27 AM
Experienced

6TB1RD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcomo View Post
6TBiRD: You measured 5.5" on the rear. Should we use that, or is that off because of spring sag?
I do beleave that this height is do to a spring sag ! (I may be wrong) but she was sitting in a barn for over 10 years.
With no written info on this height it could be normal.

We should wait and see what the others are getting.
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=31811